Ratings for Dr. Ian Gummeson

Wouldn't go back to him. He was actually quite judgemental. Made a lot of assumptions

flag | Submitted January 15, 2018

Ian Gummeson is a lousy doctor ! Makes you feel like your wasting his time and when you try and explain your symptoms or whatever it is your seeing him for he shrugs off everything you know and tells you it's all lie and don't waste your time reading up on things written by people who aren't him. He is also a liar ! As I have friends who are also patients of his, we talk amongst each other as found out he had been telling us all something different in regards to the same topic. I also heard from his staff memebers that he has constant complaints from patients. I myself have some sort of issue which I have seen him repeatedly for only to be told to leave it alone, and there is nothing wrong with me. Funny thing is I have asked other people in te medical field and they all say that is not normal and very serious, and after reading up on the subject from many different sources I have determined it is something serious and does need to be addressed. Now it's the long wait trying to find a new practitioner or a sit in the emergency with fingers crossed hoping he is not the doctor on call. Never had a doctor make me and people I know feel like hypochondriacs before. Then again we never had a doctor who's only thought is seeing how many patients he an bill for in one day. Useless man who should just retire and let someone with modern knowledge and empathy take his place !

flag | Submitted June 29, 2017

This man is a goof goof goof goof goof goof goof goof goof

flag | Submitted September 25, 2016

The best doctor I have ever had in Vancouver. Extremely caring and knowledgeable. Too bad he moved to Salt Spring Is.

flag | Submitted May 25, 2016

I feel the need to post my experience with Dr. Gummeson because there are a number of negative posts on here. Dr. Gummeson is no longer my doctor because he is no longer practicing in Vancouver, but I miss having him as my doctor. Dr. Gummeson was my doctor from the day I was born (he delivered me) until he left practice in Vancouver. He was my family doctor for 28 years. He was also the family doctor for both my mother and older brother for the same length of time plus a little bit (before I was born ). He was good to me when I was a child and good to me when I was an adult. He treated my family well and with respect. Although he ran a very busy practice I always felt that he made the time to listen to me and hear what I was saying, even if it was a quick appointment. I am also a medical professional and I understand that his job is not an easy one on many levels. I respect his knowledge and experience. Most importantly I completely trust him and know that he truly had my best interest at heart. I have yet to find a doctor to compare.

flag | Submitted July 23, 2015

We moved to Salt Spring 4 years ago, not long after I had a med emergency @ our Hospital, I was refered to him, luckily he was in the process of moving here full time, my first annual physicle took 60 minutes, as against 8/10 in Calgary, since then its 30/45 mins, extremely professional & knowledgable & I as well as others patients on Salt Spring have the best GP I personally have had.

flag | Submitted June 29, 2015

After being betrayed professionally by having my son's death announced at a community meeting I made the foolish mistake in trusting this man again. I told him my son had an accidental overdose due to a fentanyl cut recreational drug up at Whitsler when he was snowboarding. I said it has been killing youth because they don't know what they are getting. He said "they all know!" I told him the police investigators and coroner said most of them don't know its in there that is why they overdose Dr Gummeson said they don't know anything! He refered to what my son did as "stupid and illegal". He asked how long it had been ( first thing about grieving no set time everyone and every situation is different". Absolutes are rarely true such as a blanket staement "they all know". His disrespect made me cry he asked me what was wrong with me said I needed help not empathetically but in a rude tone. Not healing at all. Compassion and empathy are key ingeredients in healing this man not a good soul. He asked me if my son was a "nice boy" what kind of judgement is that what???The fact is even though my son was not a "healer" he was always kind and loving. My son knew in the end it is not how they treated you but how you treated them that counts, pray for Dr Gummeson he can't possible realize how he hurts and disrespects not only his patience but a young man he never even knew. He must tead the reviews and simply not care. Ego blocks empathy and understanding for others basically it traps that person n their own world of self judgment,for everyone and everything in it. I will suffer pysically over going in to be degraded and have insult added to injury.

flag | Submitted April 16, 2015

I think this arrogant 'man' has the negative posts deleted. I left a very detailed account of how my family was completely disregarded by this 'doctor'. He is rude, arrogant, smug and thinks he knows it all. He is far from being a Guru - get off your high horse, Gummeson. You are human like the rest of us - stop putting your patience down an insulting their intelligence. You are no better than me or the next guy. If my family needs emergency care, I call the hospital first to make sure you aren't on call - I'd rather bleed to death than have you make any judgement calls for us. Lets see how long before this one gets deleted.

flag | Submitted May 29, 2013

Amazing person and doctor. He is smart and shows compassion. Goes the extra mile. He is a straight shooter does not play games. SSI is lucky to have him!

flag | Submitted March 31, 2013

After I had waited for 35 minutes Dr. Gummeson told me that they did not book enough time for a physical - the only reason I was there and what I booked the appointment for. And during the 15 minutes they did book for me Dr. Gummeson spent 5 minutes talking on his cell phone. When I asked why we couldn't do the physical he told me "you are not the priority here", and promptly ended the appointment after 10 minutes saying we're done here.

flag | Submitted March 25, 2013