Ratings for Dr. A Van Vliet

WHAT ON EARTH IS GOING ON WITH THAT OFFICE??? I have had more meaningful conversations in ordering a pizza than I’ve had with Van Vliet’s office staff. If anyone is considering seeing him you would be well-adviced to read my comment, as well as many others on this site. I was referred to Dr. Van Vliet for foot surgery WELL OVER A YEAR AGO. After a few months of waiting to be contacted with a date for my first appointment, I finally called his office to find out how much longer that would be. A very rushed and impatient receptionist told me I was on a 10 - 12 month waiting list. I started to explain that I am in constant pain with this foot and didn’t know how I could wait that long (not even for surgery but for the FIRST VISIT). I was very polite and not at all pushy, but unable to get any other response from her than, “There’s a 10 to 12 month wait list.” Like a parrot it was all she would say. She told me exactly five times. Fine. So I waited... and waited... and waited. It has been well over a year (14 months) since I was referred and one year since his receptionist told me I was on the 10 - 12 month wait list. So, not having heard anything for the past year, I called today thinking I must be getting close to that first appointment. WRONG! Again, in a rushed and hurried manner, she told me it probably wouldn’t be until the Fall, at least! She didn’t even have time to check my file because she answered me immediately, off the top of her head. I reminded her that I’ve been waiting already for well over a year. IT DIDN’T MATTER... she mumbled something in a hurry, I think about summer hours... to be honest I’m still not sure what she said exactly. I haven’t even met this doctor yet but in the two times that I’ve spoken to his receptionist, both conversations lasted approx. 30 seconds and I STILL HAVEN’T BEEN GIVEN A DATE FOR MY FIRST APPOINTMENT. Unacceptable! I am a patient woman. I’ve dealt with many doctors in the past 15 years due to severe rheumatoid arthritis (lobectomy due to lung cancer caused by an RA drug I was taking, both knees replaced, one hip replaced twice, and many other smaller surgeries). In every case, and with every doctor and their staff, I have always been impressed with their concern, their attitudes, bed-side manners, etc. And every surgery has gone smoothly and healed beautifully. Because I’ve dealt with so many of them I can tell you this experience with Dr. Van Vliet’s office is uncommon. Yes, I’ve been on long wait lists before. It’s northern Ontario. I expect it. I patiently waited nine months to have my first knee replacement, but at least there was communication with his office and I was able to have my first visit within a month. To not even be able to get in so he can see how bad my foot has become (it is now going through a third infection) is TOTALLY UNREASONABLE. To be dismissed both times in seconds tells me it is a very disfunctional office. I’m very angry now because I believed her a year ago and I waited, when I could have made plans to have the surgery done elsewhere. It would have been over and done with by now. Tomorrow I have an appointment with my rheumatologist in Toronto and she will set me up with a doctor down there that will be able to do the surgery. My advice to anyone who is considering seeing Dr. Van Vliet is, DON’T WASTE YOUR TIME. This doctor and his staff have NOTHING to offer.

flag | Submitted April 25, 2017