Ratings for Dr. Sean Curran

Dr. Curran is no longer at Joseph Brant. He is now at the Michael G. DeGroote Pain Clinic at McMaster University Medical Centre. Curran is TERRIFIED of the College of Physicians and Surgeons and their bullying tactics regarding opioid use. This has made Dr. Curran be much less than he can be. He likes quick and easy solutions so if it can't be fixed by support staff (physio, meditation, yoga etc) he'll push for surgical half measures that he performs. If you don't fall into those two slots you're ignored and/or forgotten. Like me. I'm still on the same prescription I came with a year ago despite being referred because it wasn't working and my GP felt a pain clinic could serve me better. I came with an MRI (evidence of multiple injuries) and a letter from my GPS that he felt I needed something different since what I was on wasn't helping. All of which got ignored. I am in worse pain than on my first day to the pain clinic.

flag | Submitted January 14, 2017

Dr. Curran was the anesthesiologist that did my epidural when I was in labour wih my daughter in June 2011. Unfortunately I was wheeled in for a c-section lack of progress. When they checked my epidural before surgery they found it was no longer effective and I could feel my legs. There was no urgency for the c-section and all of the medical staff took their time to prep me and the OR. Dr. Curran made a grave mistake that night that ruined my initial relationship with my baby. He decided it was most "convenient" to put me under general due to the failed epidural, instead or redoing it or trying a spinal. I was strapped to the table and he shoved a tube down my throat while I was awake and screaming for air as they weren't ready to start the surgery yet and the tube was in my throat for 10 minutes while I gasped for air and flailed my arms in sheer fear for my life. After the surgery I was unconscious for 4 hours and didn't see my baby for 5 hours. I had post partumdepression and my baby wouldn't breast feed at all. I was depressed from my horrific birth experience for my baby's first year of life and I continue to fear having another baby and having to have another c-section. My OB has reassured me that what Dr. Curran did, to put me under general during an uncomplicated c-section, was unjustified and lazy. I should have been awake and alert during the birth with a spinal or epidural. I should have been able to see my baby within 30 minutes but instead I was held in recovery with a tube down my throat for hours recovering from general anesthetic. Dr. Curran is a "cut corners" kind of physician and he better hope I don't run into him again in the future if I deliver at Joseph Brant again. I can only hope he doesn't work there anymore. He even had the nerve to come see me after my surgery in the maternity ward and I asked the nurses to get him to leave. Why would I ever want to talk to this butcher again, after he made me delivery experience one that could have been straight out of a horror movie.

Submitted October 9, 2014