Ratings for John McMillan, Psychotherapist

The Musicians Clinic saved my life. Dr McMillan is very patient, thoughtful and insightful.

flag | Submitted January 23, 2018

Dr McMillan and Dr Chong are both pianists but were very helpful to me as a violist. They also made an exception and started seeing me when I was only 16 for my repetitive strain disorder. I like Dr Chong a lot but since he's mostly in Hamilton I ended up with Dr McMillan for 4 years. I went to them after seeing a chronic pain team at sick kids. There I was diagnosed with depression and put on anti depressants. Dr McMillan helped me with me meds for that and for my physical pain. He listened to me and helped me feel validated. He gave his input on my dosages but also understood that since I was the one taking the meds I understood best how they effect me. He didn't dismiss my treatment of acupuncture, chiropractic treatment, physiotherapist treatment, Alexander Technique, massage therapy and naturopathic supplements in addition to his treatment and meds. He helped me with depression, anxiety and dealing with child abuse. He is very supportive and happy to talk through anything medical, scientific and as a musician understands the competition and stresses associated with it. He also works with students at the Glenn Gould School in the RCM which gives him extra insight in my opinion. He doesn't have a secretary at his office in Toronto but is in constant contact with his Hamilton office so it's never been an issue for me. The secretary herself is very friendly and understanding too. His patients are all scheduled well so I've never had to wait more than a few minutes to see him. I HIGHLY recommend him to any musician who needs help with medical issues associated with their music :)

flag | Submitted June 9, 2016

flag | Submitted August 18, 2014

I am a pianist that has suffered memory loss and pain in my tendons from repetitive motion injury for years he prescribed medicine that helped manage the pain and now I can play the piano again he also diagnosed me with adult ADHD which I never knew I even had my entire life I simply thought I was stupid or couldn't remember things he prescribed biproprion and now I can actually organize my life without feeling helpless He is a compassionate doctor with immense expertise and insight He really got my life back on track unlike dr Chong his colleague at the same clinic who I found to be pretty unprofessional

flag | Submitted August 10, 2014

This is a thoughtful doctor who listens well and responds with insight and sensible suggestions. Resourceful and thorough when pursuing a diagnosis. Very good at patient education, explaining medications, etc. Also offers biofeedback and a preventative approach. As a pianist, Dr McMillan has a special understanding of the injuries and issues affecting musicians. He's a good guy. Highly recommended!

flag | Submitted July 23, 2014