Ratings for Dr. Joseph M. Coney

I was referred to Dr Coney on an emergency basis because of a sudden loss of vision due to bleeding in my eye. Because I already have very low vision in both eyes, I was frightened, especially since the loss of vision was in my better eye. Dr. Coney and staff were kind, reassuring, thorough, knowledgeable and skilled. The office has the latest equipment and Dr. Coney and staff explained each step along the way. I subsequently needed surgery to remove the blood from my eye. Again, on the day of the surgery, I felt I was in the best of hands. Since the surgery I am now able to see as I did before. I am so thankful not only that I can again see, but for the kindness and support I was shown along the way!

flag | Submitted September 17, 2019

Dr. Coney saved my vision! I was legally blind when I went to him the first time. A year later, my vision is 20/20. I feel that he is a miracle worker! I am very blessed to have been referred to him.

flag | Submitted July 25, 2019

Dr. Coney saved my eye!!! I was being given upsetting news about the condition of my eye and so I sought a second opinion from Dr. Coney. He provided excellent and compassionate care and was able to recommend an alternative path that saved my eye. I am incredibly grateful to him and the staff at Retina Associates for their care and attention to me.

flag | Submitted February 16, 2019

Dr Coney was able to stop the progression of my macula degeneration. He is kind, sensitive, caring. I recommend him always to everyone I know.

flag | Submitted October 19, 2018

In my experience with Dr.Coney, in 2007 I was diagnosed with Macular Degeneration, I was sent to Retina Associates, over the past few years Dr. Coney was able stop the progression of the Macular Degeneration with a series of shots to sclera( in the white of the eye) and now the I have 20/40 vision in both eyes. Dr. Coney in my opinion is an great doctor.

flag | Submitted August 2, 2018

Dr. Coney is very patient with his patients, he also explains things very well. I really appreciate him being my doctor, he is the best!

flag | Submitted July 30, 2018

I had a retinal detachment repair in 2014. Dr. Coney removed an epiretinal membrane in 2016 which resulted in 20/20 corrected vision. He is excellent in every way. I have met five doctors at Retina Associates due to the emergent nature of my problem. I appreciate that these doctors travel to several offices bringing top notch care to our communities. The office does its best to accommodate many people’s needs. Considering the number of people Dr. Coney and his partners help each day, They are well staffed and very efficient. I am very thankful for the care I have received. Thank you!

flag | Submitted June 15, 2018

Dr Coney did a great job restoring my vision due to a detached retina. Would highly recommend him for any eye problem.

flag | Submitted June 15, 2018

Doctor too much in a hurry – it was like I was a nuisance. If front me he said to his assistant ‘not another new patient!’

flag | Submitted March 6, 2018

Dr Coney performed retina surgery on me. He was very patient and comforting with me and other patients he was caring for. A very nice man.

flag | Submitted January 14, 2018

Dr. Joseph M. Coney's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Coney received his BS degree in biology from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He received his MD degree from Loyola Stritch School of Medicine. He completed his ophthalmology residency at Case Western Reserve University and a medical retina fellowship in diabetic retinopathy at the Joslin Diabetes Clinic of Harvard Medical School in Boston, Massachusetts. Dr. Coney also finished a two-year vitreoretinal surgical fellowship at the Vitreoretinal Foundation in Memphis, Tennessee. He has been a clinical investigator in over 65 research studies of treatments for diabetic retinopathy, age-related macular degeneration, and other vitreoretinal diseases. Dr. Coney is president-elect for the Ohio Ophthalmological Society, and serves as an executive board member in the Ophthalmology Section of the National Medical Association. He has been recognized as among the top ophthalmologists in the nation by Castle Connolly, and has been featured as a Top Doctor in Cleveland Magazine every year since 2015. He is a Vitals Patient's Choice Award winner and was recently selected by his peers for inclusion in Best Doctors in America. Dr. Coney's primary interests include diabetic retinopathy, age-related macular degeneration, traumatic eye injuries and complex retinal surgeries. He speaks locally, nationally, and internationally about retinal vascular diseases.

• English

• Loyola University Of Chicago, Stritch School Of Medicine (Grad. 1999)
  • Loyola University Chicago (Grad. 1999)
  • Case Western Reserve University (Grad. 2003)
  • Harvard University (Grad. 2004)

• Wet macular degeneration