Ratings for Dr. Jonathan Franz

Dr. Frantz About eight years ago my father had cataract surgery with Jonathan Frantz. Surgery on the first eye was fine but there was a complication with the second eye. After surgery Dr. Frantz came out to explain to me that surgery had taken longer because my father had a "floppy iris" and surgery was a little more complicated. Later that day we called the office back because as per the post-op directions, my Dad was having uncommon effects. We visited the outpatient center in Cape Coral and the doctor there was extremely concerned about what he saw. He made multiple phone calls and ended up draining my Dad's eye manually to relieve some of the pressure. He eventually sent us back to the main surgery center where, after examining Dad they scheduled him for another surgery the following morning. The next day Frantz performed surgery on that eye again. Things seemed better but after a few days my father noticed that he couldn't see straight ahead, at the center point of his vision. After three different appointments we FINALLY got to see Dr. Frantz again. I had many questions during that appointment and while I was not angry or offensive at all, just concerned, Dr. Frantz WAS extremely defensive and rude. He even got up to leave after maybe three minutes with us saying "it's obvious they don't want to hear what we have to say," when all I had been trying to clarify with him was if the complication with the surgery could have caused the vision loss. He repeatedly said that the appointment immediately following surgery #3 showed my Dad at100% vision and any other problem must be something new or unrelated to surgery. He was very rude, arrogant and unsympathetic. We ended up having to go all the way to Naples and Miami to seek second opinions because area doctors wouldn't treat Dad since he was Frantz's patient. Ultimately there was nothing any other doctor could, or would do, so all these years later my father still doesn't have all his vision in that eye. I'm aware Frantz cranks out thousands of successful surgeries each month and I'm sure he's great at what he does but on the rare occasion where there may be a complication, he is obviously more concerned with covering himself than with helping his patient find a solution. He treated us as if we were trying to sue him, or accuse him falsely, or worse. I would never, ever recommend this doctor to anyone. If everything works out I'm sure he's fine, but when there is a problem, as there was in my father's case, he is unreasonable and unhelpful. I think a person's behavior during a crisis speaks volumes of their character. I'm so sorry for Dad that we found that out the hard way. As a side note, the staff was great. He was the problem.

flag | Submitted January 14, 2017

I went to my first appointment thinking I would see the Dr, but it was a last minute scheduling, I understood, the technician was really nice explaining to me the details about a Lasik procedure, took measurements with impresive equipment,and made my appointment with the Dr for 2 1/2 weeks later. On that day 1 1/2 hr of measurements andI haven't met the Dr yet, I was handed a pile of consent forms, and waivers, now I want to talk to the Dr for comfort, and all I hear is a group of young people laughing and cracking jokes in the hallway, Dr Franz walks in a rush, and looks at me, says, you are having the surgery tomorrow? By then, I am really concerned, I asked him why didn't I meet him before all this time, and he brushed me, rude, callous, with a "well, you may not qualify, good luck"! and stormed out, the administrative manager came in, and told me Dr Franz will not do the surgery. This ,is literal, how it happened, still in shock.Perception: surgery factory, no bedside manners.

flag | Submitted July 23, 2014