Ratings for Dr. Michael Lazar

I saw Dr. Lazar after my PSA increased to 8.7 wherein he suggested a biopsy of my prostate. A follow-up appointment was scheduled to discuss the results and if necessary, treatment options. I was advised that cancer cells were found by a reputable pathologist and treatment was strongly advised. Dr. Lazar explained the various options to treat this early stage detection but overwhelmingly promoted HIFU ( high intensity focused ultrasound) as the preferred treatment while discouraging alternatives. So as I suspect most men do, I went online and researched, and researched more. Dr. Lazar explained that he performs HIFU treatment in either Toronto, Canada or Puerto Vallarta, Mexico because it is not yet available in the U.S. The cost is a flat $25000 for the medical treatment not including your travel expenses. When we're told we have a life threatening but curable disease it becomes the focus of our attention and we surrender some logic. I have the resources to come up with the $25000 plus but upon further investigation found that Japan has a HIFU clinic and the premier HIFU physician offering treatment. I realized that I could vacation in Japan and receive the treatment at a total cost of approximately $17000 and that there are multiple countries where it is even less. Dr. Lazar acknowledged that fact but advised me that he would not offer any follow-up if I went elsewhere for treatment. Be that as it may, I was accepted to a clinical study at Stanford in Palo Alto where a treatment called HDR Brachytherapy is performed that requires just two 1.5 hour (HIGH DOSE RADIATION) treatments and then B O O M ! you are done and with minimal side effects. Check into it before you commit to something else.

flag | Submitted November 17, 2015