Ratings for Dr. Richard Chan

Earlier this year I was recovering from a spine surgery. I spent 5 days in the RCH following the surgery. The pain I had to go through was at its worst. There are a few points I want to bring up about the hospital Dr. Chan works at: 1. SEVERELY understaffed. They do not answer a "buzzer" for help. Good luck getting someone to come by your bed (unless they have to follow up with meds or testing of any sort). Once you press the buzzer you are being questioned as to why you pressed it in the first place. They won't come unless they figure it warrants their attention. I have never seen anything like that anywhere else ! 2. The place is filthy. I have watched the janitor stuff giving my room three swipes with the dust mop. I have never seen anyone wet mopping the floor once. Before being released I decided to take a shower as I was unable to move before. I almost threw up looking at the bathtub. It was obvious no one used to wash it in weeks. It was plain gross. 3. The staff morale is at its lowest. There was a nurse that would question the level of your pain after the surgery and would say:" Well, it shouldn't hurt like this" ???? But it did. It was obvious to me that she took me for a drug seeking patient. In other words, we cannot have a say in how we feel at all. It is my word against hers (an all knowing nurse half my age). I found her gossipy and untrustworthy. When other patients in my room needed her attention, she stood by them simply chatting with whoever she could nail at that particular moment). I have nothing but deep admiration for Dr. R. Chan but those five days in that ward made my whole experience pure hell. This is the worst place to find yourself at after a surgery. I usually bounce out of surgeries real fast and ask for earlier release if there is a chance for that. This was the very first time where the pain truly got the best of me. And to deal with a nurse that has some of her own preconceived ideas as to what you should or shouldn't feel is way too much to deal with. She should be fired hands down. Just wanted to add that most nurses were great, especially the night shift. Its just a few bad apples that spoil the bunch. http://www.cbc.ca/news2/health/features/ratemyhospital/profiles/royal-columbian-hospital/

flag | Submitted May 8, 2017

Started bad with receptionist gossiping away for 10 min while I stood in front of her. Doctor is a complete joke, freaking jerk, doesn't look at you and goes at a million miles a minute. I can't understand being busy and wanting to go quick but this guy breaks all limits. Mumbles and talks like a moron, can't understand half of what he says, didn't cover any of the risks of my condition or any of my concerns, basically just said wait and come back in 6 weeks. Can't believe that such a person is allowed to practice medicine with patient interaction. What a joke.

flag | Submitted April 24, 2017

I first got to know of Dr. Chan as a result of requiring an "expert" opinion from a neurosurgeon with respect to a medical case. Standard procedure was to ensure the doctor was well respected among his/her peers. Dr. Chan was A+. Fast forward 10 years and my mom requires back surgery and is referred to Dr. Chan. As her daughter, I knew she was in very skilled hands. If you are looking for someone to coddle you, or even spend time answering your concerns in a caring way - Dr. Chan is not for you. If you are looking for one of the most gifted neurosurgeons - then consider Dr. Chan. He is no doubt a pretty smart doc, but so are every other neurosurgeon that I know/aware of. What I believe separates Dr. Chan from most other neurosurgeons is not his mind - but his hands.

flag | Submitted March 22, 2017

I am a 52 year old male that has suffered in severe pain for the past 20 years with back and neck pain, severe headaches everyday that eventually led to the point where I was loosing control of the use of my hands to button my shirt or turn a doorknob. I self medicated with the strongest over the counter pills I could purchase without a prescription to the point where I was taking over 50 pills a day. I met with Dr. Chan in mid December, he had me go for a nerve test 2 days later and 4 days after that I got the call with a surgery date. He is a man of few words. At the same time he is straight to the point, which I respect. A 3rd of the way into January Dr. Chan performed surgery on my neck and provided me with pain medication. Within 2 weeks I was off all of the medication. I have only experienced 3 headaches since the surgery and it's been a month now. My neck is a little stiff but I am still in the healing stage. I cannot express my thanks to Dr. Chan enough for the relief he has provided me with, after living in the pain I had for 20 years. He is one heck of a skilled surgeon and I would recommend him to anyone that requires a Dr. with the skill sets this man has. I truly feel like a new person. Besides myself my family is so thankful to Dr. Chan for his skills, to see me wake up pain free and not taking pain pills every time I turn around. People didn't believe I took so many pills to control the pain, many thought I was addicted and those people are even amazed seeing me now, not taking any pills what so ever. My advice to anyone is if he tells you that you require surgery , jump at the opportunity to have this man do it for you, you won't regret it. I will never be able to thank you enough Dr. Chan. Prior to the surgery I read reviews about how Dr. Chan had long hair, well his hair is shorter than mine and how people didn't like his bedside manner, because he had none, news flash he's there to fix your body not hold your hand. So to those people I say let your mommy hold your hand and let this professional make you pain free and move onto the next person that requires his skills and knowledge. Thanks Dr. Chan from Fred Kenmuir.

flag | Submitted February 8, 2017

I never saw his staff because I got there very early in the morning - first appointment of the day. I was referred because of scoliosis and retrolisthesis in my spine. When he looked at me, it took him 5 minutes to figure out the problem stemmed from my hip and not my spine. He went over my images with me very carefully and pointed out his reasoning. I'd been struggling with a sore back and a limp all my life and after dozens upon dozens of doctors, he was the first one to figure out the entire issue without even an x-ray of the problem spot. He did send me for the right x-ray and sent me with a referral to an orthopedic surgeon. Because of him, I'm on a wait list for the hip surgery I should have had years ago. They also found a tumor in my knee which had been there for many years before I saw Dr. Chan. He saved me many additional years of pain, but also saved me from a knee replacement or back surgery. He was the first doctor in 30 years that I had who knew what to look for and how to look for it and I am grateful every day that we crossed paths. People may complain about his demeanour, but he's really just got his head 150% into his work. Maybe he doesn't smile as much as the next guy or maybe he's not always as cordial. I never found this, but if you do, most likely it's because he's really moving fast and concentrating on the problem. If you go see him, let him think and he'll share his thoughts with you. He'll save your life. He does care an awful lot about the well being of the people around him.

flag | Submitted January 26, 2017

Dr. Richard Chan gave the chance for my son to get back to his prime fitness and his soccer. My 21yr old son who plays varsity soccer was diagnosed with spinal stenosis which led to painful sciatica and not playing soccer last season. Dr. Chan performed a microdisectomy L5S1 on November 10/16 and from that night on his disc and sciatica pain disappeared. By the end of December/16 he was able to start going to physio and to the pool to continue his road back to the soccer pitch later this summer. Dr. Chan might be a man of few words but his skill set is a force to be reckoned with ! My son's back feels excellent and even our family doctor remarked what a great job Dr. Chan did on his incision site. As a mom , I was worried about the surgery and the success rate of a microdiscectomy and what assured me that we made the right choice was the nurses who looked after my son post op at Eagle Ridge hospital all stated that if they ever had to have any type of neurosurgery that they would trust Dr. Chan 1000% to do the job and to do it well ! A grateful mom....Thank you Dr. Chan!!!

Submitted January 5, 2017

Excellent treatment beginning to end for double laminectomy. Not many words, he doesn't have the time to explain things, to many people to help. Just better to trust him. Back feels excellent and strong.

flag | Submitted December 12, 2016

just went for a consult yeah read the reviews, do not tell a book by its cover. great dr

flag | Submitted November 26, 2016

Dr Richard Chan was remanded to me by a did that did nerve testing on one. So I thought I was in good hands. WRONG rude, takes down to u, doesn't listen when u do talk. Bedside matters -2. He did 4 ops on my back neck laminecty, then a partial lumbar laminectomy , then a full lumbar laminectimy, then on next MEI I had he forgot, didn't c a ghostly looking object in the thorax part of the back (10,11,12) etc. I had walked on my own after each one of these op for some time till I started falling, and legs gone again. This time being the 4rd op I never walked again without a walker. But also cannot feel my feet, stone cold enough to hurt and not feel comtablely in any type of shoes. No balance to walk or even stop fm falling sometimes. Seen him mths after and he told me " I cannot do anymore for u, damage has been done. Basically took off his rubber gloves and went to a Canuck game. No explaintion of y no walk, no balance, cold feet. He is passed his prime STAY AWAY for ur own health.

flag | Submitted October 8, 2016

Dr. Chan is an amazing neurosurgeon. He worked on my dad twice, and both times dad came through with minimal pain and great success. My dad's bones were all crooked and fusing to the point where you couldn't even tell it was a human spine in the x-ray. Dr Chan fixed it all up and dad regained the use of an arm he'd lost feeling in and was relatively comfortable even right after surgery. Stunningly, a week after surgery, a bit "friendly" dog that had gotten away from its owner jumped on my dad and knocked him over backwards. Dad landed squarely on the surgery. He waited a moment, then got up and was actually fine. A year later, I was referred to Dr. Chan myself becuase i have retrolisthesis in my spine. Dr Chan looked over the x-rays many times and surmised it was actually a hip defect that was bending my spine. He referred me back to my doc to get put in line for a hip replacement. When they checked my hip, they did find the defect Chan suspected was there and now I'm getting a new hip in a couple of months. This man has some questionable reviews with regards to his personality, but I've got to say , he really does care about the people he works with - even if he doesn't necessarily show it. I didn't find this myself. I found him to be extremely knowledgeable and very willing to talk about what he found. I liked him. He saved my dad's life and he changed mine for the much better and we will all be forever grateful for the work he has done and continues to do.

flag | Submitted October 5, 2016