Ratings for Dr. Meriel Galloway

The absolute worst doctor. Wouldn't treat me for UTI so now, 5 years later and thousands of dollars, I am antibiotic resistant. Even had surgery as a result of it.

flag | Submitted December 10, 2017

It has been nearly two years and I am still fighting a bladder infection that has dug in its heels because Dr. Galloway did not deal with my UTI in a timely fashion. Four times I had to see her concerning my UTI before she would even write me a lab test for my uti. Each time I asked about my uti, she told me she didn't have time for it. She even dismissed me with a wave of her hand, saying "I don't have time for that, make an appt. for that." On and on it went. My uti became so bad that I was sent to a urologist and had to have day surgery at UBC for a cystoscopy. The urologist asked if I had bleeding and I said yes. When I had told Galloway that I had spotting (bleeding) she sent me to a gyno. The gyno suggested day surgery. Not! I have a UTI, !!!!!! I never returned to the gyno. (I even think she would have proceeded further, perhaps with a hysterectomy as she was a surgeon and surgeons cut) The urologist said my bladder was raw inside and sloughing off which caused blood and tissue to block my urethra, which made it so difficult to empty my bladder. On some days I would spend hours sitting on the toilet in tears, dribbling urine. I was given antibiotics for almost 2 years. My weight went up but the uti stayed. I researched and researched and tried cranberry pills, marshmallow tea, holy basil, baking soda, lemon water, etc… and more antibiotics. I became immune to one of the antibiotics. I was being treated for a lower case uti while it had moved into my bladder and required a different approach, one especially focused on upper case uti`s. Dr. Galloway quit medicine and I found a new doctor. We have tried antibiotics and he says he is hesitant to prescribe anymore as it is obvious they do nothing for me. I have an appointment with another urologist in December. Sigh. I believe if this had been dealt with the first time I went to see Galloway, I would not be suffering this malady.

flag | Submitted November 11, 2014

I had Dr. Galloway as a doctor from a teenager till my 30's. She can come across a little abrupt and hard at times, but she also doesn't sugar coat things. I really enjoyed having her as my doctor and if I moved back to Vancouver I would see her again. She was very helpful and non judgemental of my depression and helped me seek additional services. As well as follow up questions even when my appointment was unrelated to depression. My only complaint (aside from her punctuality) was when she informed me that I had CIN III (cervical displaysia) she did not explain the HPV strains well enough and when I went home and searched online I got overwhelmed by the number of strains and thought I might have them all! So if you see her, get morning appointments so you wait the least amount of time. Her assistant (if she's still there it was 2011) was fantastic and super friendly.

flag | Submitted October 20, 2014

people get a grip - so her style of humour doesn't match yours and that makes her a bad doctor??? Some people here sound like they seriously lack self-confidence and are taking it out on D. Galloway. She's been my family doctor for 15 years, and I give her a 10 out of 10 hands down. She is very up to date on medical advancements, and that's not an easy thing to do. Anyone that wants a doctor to say yes to all their requests, and then medicate out of medical books from 1970s, should look elsewhere. If people want to get healed, Dr. Galloway's the place to be.

flag | Submitted May 19, 2010

She is not friendly and does not follow up on matters. She does not listen well and goes on with her own ideas about your needs. She It is hard to communicate with her.

flag | Submitted December 16, 2009

I was sent for an ultrasound by this doctor because of abdominal pain and then there was no follow up. I had large fibroids and interstitial cystitis and made a complaint to the office that I should have been called. Galloway was nothing but evasive and rude. And yes, she is "chronically late" as one person commented, without appology - always. The books herself very tightly and insists on one concern per visit. As I said I had abdominal pain - I told her that I likely had a urinary tract infection as well and she got angry at me! She is intelligent, no doubt about that, but no people skills - she used to be a vet - she should have stayed there.

flag | Submitted November 14, 2009

Very pleased with her, she is very thorough and very profesional. She took extra time for examination rather than rush the patient out of the office as many doctors do.

flag | Submitted November 14, 2009

Dr. Galloway is the best doctor I've encountered as an adult. She is knowledgable, provides in depth service over and above what is required and is open to the patient input. She saved my life, literally and I have recommeded her to many friends who all think she is great. She has been brusque at times but really, she must see alot of things and we can't expect her to be happy and peppy and bursting with love every day now can we!! You rock Dr. Galloway!

flag | Submitted September 10, 2009

Not sure if we are talking about the same doctor?!? - Meriel Galloway has been my doctor since 1993, and I have referred her to 3 friends and my mom. We all talk about her and agree that she is the best we have come across. She literally saved the life of my co-worker by diagnosing heart failure when 2 other docs had told her it was just bronchitis. She got her to see a specialist within 24 hours. I'm not sure where the other people on this site got their facts - Dr. Galloway starts at 8 a.m., not 10 a.m., so the previous person who complained was seeing her half way through her morning. Also, 4 years ago, Dr. Galloway left the clinic because the staff were so grumpy and the charts were getting lost BY THE CLINIC - she didn't get fired, and worked very hard to get the clinic to find my mom's chart, and phoned specialists to get anything that was missing. Her new staff are fantastic - cheers to Kelly & Wanda! So overall I give her a great big hug and am so grateful she is on my side!

flag | Submitted August 31, 2009

Dr. Galloway was my doctor for 10 years. While she's knowledgeable, she's also quite condescending. She interrupts constantly and has very poor listening skills. She's chronically late. The last two times I saw her, I was the first appointment of the day. My appointment was for 10am and the first time she didn't come into the office till 10:35, the second time it was 10:45. No apology either time. I had an allergic reaction to a drug she prescribed and she was very rude about it...made me feel it was my fault for having been allergic to it. Very glad I was able to find a new family doctor.

flag | Submitted July 28, 2009