Ratings for Dr. Brenda Copen

MY son was sent to her because he has been astrange from his father for over 8 years, she NEVER discussed this with my son, our doc thought this was very important because of his behaviour issues and that's why she referred to her,she "diagnosed" him with adhd which his doc had already done so. has pushed medication and no other methods to cope with his adhd, for a child psychiatrist she lacks personality, she's constantly late ALWAYS, it's horrible when you are dealing with a child with adhd to wait for an hour, doesn't offer any apologies or explanations as why she's late. I will be looking to be referred elswhere.

flag | Submitted July 11, 2017

Had a meeting with Dr. Copen at Victoria's Mental Health Unit in the Westshore location (Langford, BC) WEBSITE :http://www.westshorefamilyservices.ca/ >>>Which is NEVER working. I found (on numerous visits) the staff to be rude, unprofessional and overall totally unhelpful. While sitting in the waiting area you can hear the staff (behind the check-in desk) bickering about their co-workers (including the Main Doctors) and their own personal lives. There're totally unorganized-EXAMPLES: 1-I was told to go to the Queen Alexandra Centre for Children's Health for our apt only to get their and have them tell me that the apt was actually located at the WestShore Location(45min drive). 2-Staff made a mistake and 'forgot' to add our names to wait lists for programs! 3-The Clinician for our Initial Intake apt was 45mins late for a 1hr apt. 4-Dr. Copen was also late for our apt 5-My family found Dr. Copen's "bedside manner" to be off putting to say the least. She is NOT good with kids, as we found when she asked our ADHD 7 yr old not to play with the teddy bears that were in her office! She offered very little in the way of resources and how we as a family should go about supporting our daughter with the new diagnosis. Dr. Copen simply wrote a list of medications we could use and the name of a website for info around ADHD and sent us out the door. That's it. I was shocked that, that is all that's done? It's been over 3 months and Dr. Copen has yet to send her diagnostic assessment to our family MD so we may discuss how to obtain services that are available to support kids with ADHD. Overall I would say Dr. Copen is a snob that for what ever reason has lost the ability to show compassion to families that are simply looking to advocate for their children. I would strongly suggest a different doctor for Child Mental Health assessments.

flag | Submitted February 23, 2017

Idkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

flag | Submitted February 4, 2017

Very knowledgeable, appointments on time, staff is polite and friendly. I would definitely recommend Dr.Copen to others. I appreciate the tele-health meetings when I cannot make a appointment in person.

flag | Submitted January 25, 2017

I am not impressed. Primarily interested in prescribing more and more medication, despite watching this approach not work. Ignored my continued communication about really bad drug side effects. Saw me as a disorder rather than a person and advised me to give up the hope of recovery. And then she forgot about a symptom I had brought up repeatedly and looked shocked when I talked about it again. Highly intellectual. Terrible people skills. Don't put your children through this... please!

flag | Submitted January 11, 2017

Dr. Copen was very helpful in terms of getting to the root of the problem. She took the time to listen and gave me lots of insight as to what was going on, how to manage it, etc. Very knowledgeable.

flag | Submitted January 10, 2017

She is likely very bright and accomplished but is just mailing it in. Very poor and thin patient engagement bordering on disinterested.

flag | Submitted February 17, 2016

Not very helpful and seemed only interested in medication. My son would not chat with her and she did nothing to encourage him. She is not interested in working with schools and will not consider referrals or writing notes to the school. Waste of time.

flag | Submitted June 6, 2015

Dr. Copen is excellent and I would strongly recommend her she has helped my young teen lot and it very caring supportive.

flag | Submitted May 8, 2015