Dr. Andrew Merkur

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Andrew Merkur

It was by chance that I was referred to Dr. Merkur. It was in a casual conversations about PVD floaters that I had with a total stranger that led me to this fantastic doctor. There was a clinical trial to laser out my floaters but before I could enrol he said the double blind trial did not have the desired effect on floaters and he did not want to jeopardise any of his patients eyes. He also detected a retinal tear that my previous ophthalmologist should have corrected. Dr. Merkur cares more about his patients than about making money with laser vitreolysis. He is hand down the best doctor I have ever seen!

flag | Submitted October 31, 2017

I came in to see Dr. Merkur as I thought I might be getting a detached retina.  I don't mean as a gift.  (If anybody's thinking about getting me a detached retina for my birthday, I'll pass.  I like my retinas like I like my women - attached.)   ANYway, he reassured me it wasn't a detached retina but just old age.  (J/K - but he did joke about this.  He's very funny, btw.)   One of his nurses started checking me out.  I don't mean like that.  I mean she was looking at my eyes.   And though she was great and could've finished all of the tests, Dr. Merkur stepped in and did them himself.  Most doctors don't do that and it definitely added a nice touch. He spent quite a bit of time with me and has amazing bedside manner.  And of course, he knows his stuff.   In all seriousness, I highly recommend Dr. Merkur.  Awesome doctor, awesome staff, awesome experience.

flag | Submitted October 5, 2017

I'd like to thank Dr Merkur for an emergency detached retina he performed on me in June 2017. He was very personable,friendly and light hearted. He is a gifted surgeon very calming and confident. My surgery went great, recover was perfect and my vision was restored. very little issues with recovery and all is well today. the staff were great also. Thanks again Dr Merkur Jack

flag | Submitted October 5, 2017

One of the best diagnostician honest and freindly doesn't rush you and listens to you . had bad flashes and floaters-my eye doc was worried about a torn retina sent me to Dr Merkur who squeezed me in the same day! He found the tear and treated it, right away. Hew was fantastic

flag | Submitted August 21, 2017

Because of Dr. Merkur, I can see again. After suffering for 6 months of only being able to "see" light, I was introduced to Dr. Merkur. His calm manner and the warmness of his staff and himself made me believe that I might regain sight. After talking and explaining ever detail, we decided on surgery. Dr Merkur's skill as a surgeon are amazing. I can't possible say enough good things about him and his staff. Very dedicated team.

flag | Submitted August 21, 2017

Dr. Merkur was very thorough, compassionate and I would feel very confident to refer my family and friends. The technicians were awesome, friendly, I felt comfortable and I couldn't believe all the tests I had to have done, were done right there in their office!! Thank you. Please be aware the wait can be long to see him!!!!

flag | Submitted August 17, 2017

Dr. Merkur is an unbelievable surgeon. So, so good. Fixed my eye in one visit. He is very competent, excellent bedside manner. and I would not hesitate to recommend him to family and friends.

flag | Submitted August 17, 2017

A true professional--careful, detailed exam, clear explanation of treatment plan and follow-up. Staff very efficient.

flag | Submitted August 17, 2017

Dr. Merkur is an outstanding medical professional. He does a very thorough exam and takes the time to explain the alternative treatments with no pressure to the patient to make a decision if surgery of the eye is required. He also does excellent follow up exams post-surgery to make sure that I was recuperating well and improving my vision. the staff and nurses are very courteous and nice to deal with. I highly recommend Dr. Merkur.

Dr. Andrew Merkur's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

• Johns Hopkins University (Grad. 2002)
  • Université d'Ottawa University of Ottawa (Grad. 2007)
  • University of British Columbia (Grad. 2008)

Delta Dental