Dr. Andrew Merkur

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Andrew Merkur

Dr Merkur and his staff are efficient, competent and nice. They all took the time to clearly answer my questions and I spent very little time waiting. (somehow the wait has gotten shorter and shorter over the years despite the practice getting bigger and bigger ?!?!)

flag | Submitted July 21, 2018

I am a physician myself, and have been seeing Dr. Merkur as a patient since early 2013. He has performed several surgical procedures on me and provided the aftercare. I can say without reservation that Dr. Merkur is an outstanding Ophthalmologist, highly skilled, competent and with excellent clinical judgment. He is very professional in his demeanor, and a good, compassionate physician. I would recommend any of my family and friends to him for ophthalmologic care in a heartbeat. A++

flag | Submitted July 21, 2018

Dr. Merkur is exactly what a medical doctor should be: truly professional, caring, very knowledgeable, sincere, good communicator and very patient. It was our good fortune to find him after my wife's cataract surgery did not go smoothly. He diagnosed the problem very precisely and corrected the medications prescribed by the cataract surgeon. He was exceptionally thorough; even had a colleague examine my wife to get a second opinion. I highly recommend Dr. Merkur as an exceptional ophthalmologist.

flag | Submitted July 21, 2018

Did two surgery for both of my eyes due to macular degeneration. They were successful and my vision improved improved. Patients are very lucky to have him as your doctor. Highly recommend.

flag | Submitted June 22, 2018

Makes you feel comfortable, puts you at ease and explains situation. Very helpful.

flag | Submitted February 21, 2018

I am a former nurse, and I was so impressed with Dr. Merkur's professional, kind, caring sincere manner. A truly remarkable doctor that I'd recommend .

flag | Submitted January 16, 2018

He saved my husbands vision. We forever be grateful. Wonderful work and Dr Merkur made him feel very positive. Highly recommended.

flag | Submitted January 9, 2018

It was by chance that I was referred to Dr. Merkur. It was in a casual conversations about PVD floaters that I had with a total stranger that led me to this fantastic doctor. There was a clinical trial to laser out my floaters but before I could enrol he said the double blind trial did not have the desired effect on floaters and he did not want to jeopardise any of his patients eyes. He also detected a retinal tear that my previous ophthalmologist should have corrected. Dr. Merkur cares more about his patients than about making money with laser vitreolysis. He is hand down the best doctor I have ever seen!

flag | Submitted October 31, 2017

Thank you so much for helping me you are very special, Toda Rabah,

flag | Submitted October 11, 2017

I came in to see Dr. Merkur as I thought I might be getting a detached retina.  I don't mean as a gift.  (If anybody's thinking about getting me a detached retina for my birthday, I'll pass.  I like my retinas like I like my women - attached.)   ANYway, he reassured me it wasn't a detached retina but just old age.  (J/K - but he did joke about this.  He's very funny, btw.)   One of his nurses started checking me out.  I don't mean like that.  I mean she was looking at my eyes.   And though she was great and could've finished all of the tests, Dr. Merkur stepped in and did them himself.  Most doctors don't do that and it definitely added a nice touch. He spent quite a bit of time with me and has amazing bedside manner.  And of course, he knows his stuff.   In all seriousness, I highly recommend Dr. Merkur.  Awesome doctor, awesome staff, awesome experience.

flag | Submitted October 5, 2017

Dr. Andrew Merkur's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Andrew Merkur is currently a Clinical Assistant Professor in the Deptartment of Opthalmology and Visual Sciencea at the University of British Columbia. His interests and research are focused heavily on the pharmacogenomics of macular diseases (Diabetic Retinopathy, Age related macular degeneration (AMD), Pathologic myopic degeneration, Central serous chorioretinopathy, etc.). His surgical interests and research are focused on macular surgical success and outcomes (Epiretinal membrane, Macular hole formation, Vitreomacular traction syndrome, etc) as well as retinal detachments. He is actively involved in training the next generation of medical retina specialists and retinal surgeons through the UBC Vitreoretinal division - Medical and Surgical Retina Fellowship program. He has specialized surgical training for the pediatric population and is the Director of the UBC Electrophysiology Unit which covers the majority of British Columbia.

• English

• Johns Hopkins University (Grad. 2002)
  • Université d'Ottawa University of Ottawa (Grad. 2007)
  • University of British Columbia (Grad. 2008)

• Diabetic retinopathy