Ratings for Dr. Kristel Jefferies

In 2013, I suffered a “mild traumatic brain injury – MTBI as its known.” The ironic part of this name is that there is nothing mild about it. I went from juggling three jobs and two kids in competitive hockey to lying in bed, and I suffered from dizziness, headaches, major nausea, aversion to light, noise and multiple stimulus, irritability, emotional difficulties, cognitive difficulties (including major cog – a feeling of being “slowed down,” major fatigue, inability to multitask, etc. On the outside, I looked “normal;” however, anyone who knew me well knew I wasn’t myself. Eventually and thankfully (despite early referrals to a “concussion doctor” who didn’t help me at all and really didn’t seem to understand concussions), I landed with an incredible medical support system who really understood the diverse condition known as MTBI. Thanks to one of my rocks, Dr. Shawn Marshall at The Rehab Centre at The Ottawa Hospital, whom I see still to this day almost three years in, I was referred rather early on to Dr. Kristel Jefferies for a binocular vision assessment to see if binocular vision difficulties contributed to my symptoms. I had 2-two hour assessments with Dr. Jefferies, and was SO ill after both. There was a reason. I found out I suffered from something called “post trauma vision syndrome.” My “binocular vision (BNV),” which as I understand it is the way your eyes work together with your brain to account for visual stimulus, was not working as it should thanks to the hit I suffered to my head. This contributed greatly to my symptoms. I eventually needed 1.5 years of binocular vision therapy – 30 appointments spread out weekly, then monthly and progression to bi monthly – including home therapy 6 days per week. Dr. Jefferies became one of my ROCKS in life. She is the best of the best in terms of knowledge of the condition and how post trauma vision syndrome and binocular vision difficulties contribute greatly to one’s symptoms. She was an incredible source of support to me throughout my vision therapy, a process that is not easy, but that one must commit to in order to see positive changes... slowly and gradually. There is no “magic pill” to correct this – it takes commitment and work. At the beginning of my treatment, I was not even able to handle 3-4 minutes of therapy daily. I remember so vividly early on looking back and forth at two popsicle sticks five times, and ending up sick as a dog in bed. By the end of our therapy together, I was able to handle upwards of approximately 45 min daily walking of therapy, including walking on a sidewalk and being able to track things with my eyes again. She understood to a fine science/art the progressions that were right for ME, and she knew *exactly* how much daily “homework” I could handle. I used to say to her that she could read me SO well, she could determine the exact moment that I had ‘checked out’ cognitively during our sessions, that moment where my brain completely shut down, where I had reached what one of my other rocks, Dr. Joseph Lawrence, referred to as, “exceeding metabolic capacity.” From that moment, when I could no longer even understand her instructions from even short therapy fatiguing me so much, she would go into what I called “teacher mode,” and she would repeat very slowly for me clear and concise instructions as she wrote them down. This may sound odd to the average person, but it takes a very special, knowledgeable, patient and caring doctor to know when your MTBI patient needs this. Luckily for, my entire medical team is this way. I am eternally grateful for the progress I made with Dr. Jefferies. She was a constant source of support and encouragement to me throughout my treatment – both in and out of the office. She always made herself available to answer my treatment questions that she had already answered in the office, but that of course, I could not remember the answers to. And she never made me feel less of a human being for needing to ask the questions I had already asked. Following my treatment with her (and my other “rocks”), I was able to slowly build some hours at work, and finally progress back again to vestibular training (using my eyes and my head) – something I could not do at the beginning – now that my BNV issues were corrected. Dr. Jefferies even referred me to an incredible vestibular therapist whom I will likely need to see for another year or more, but at least to this day, I continue to keep progress slowly. I am so grateful to finally be able to engage in vestibular therapy and to slowly building hours with work and engaging in my “new, normal” life. I will take progress in any speed I can... as long as I continue to move forward. Sometimes, I don’t realize if Dr. Jefferies knows the impact she has on her patients. I am eternally grateful to her for all her expertise and support, and for caring about me as a patient in the way she did. Thank you SO much!

flag | Submitted October 7, 2016

Excellent knowledge of vision including strabismus, nystagmus, astigmatism, vision therapies to improve vision, and many more technical things which are beyond the scope of what we know. She is very kind, helpful and most importantly, she goes slow and she knows what's she is doing. Even for special eye cases, she knows what the patient is experiencing and is always happy to help. I don't if I could could find any better eye doctor all over in Canada. I have seen over 50 doctors including ones in the U.S. and Pakistan, she is definitely the best doctor and she provided the best vision. Since I have so much experience with many different doctors from three different countries, I would say she is the best and you guys should have no doubt about her abilities and knowledge.

flag | Submitted October 22, 2015

We met Dr Jefferies for the first time today and are very pleased with our experience her clinic. Highly recommend her for all your eye needs and assessment beyond 20/20 vision test.

flag | Submitted August 6, 2015

Lovely, caring optometrist. Very professional. Highly recommended.

flag | Submitted December 19, 2014

I’ve been attending vision therapy sessions with Dr. Jefferies for several months now and it’s been a very positive experience. The goal has been to improve eye alignment and thereby, binocularity. Although my results have not been dramatic, they have been measurable and noticeable in my daily life. Dr. Jefferies has been accommodating, supportive and professional. Ideally, the therapy would have been conducted weekly; however, because of financial constraints this was not possible. Without issue, Dr. Jefferies accommodated with a bi-weekly schedule that better met my needs. Indeed, Dr. Jefferies always clearly lays out treatments and their associated costs, plainly delivers her opinion, and never pressures me on a course of action. She’s always kind, courteous and on time and the staff's friendly, professional and helpful. The facilities are clean, modern and warm, creating a welcoming and comfortable environment. In sum, I’d highly recommend Dr. Jefferies as an optometrist.

flag | Submitted March 7, 2014