Ratings for Dr. Mathew Samuels

Friendly but not helpfull at all and a big waste of money. He made me feel like he did not take me and my partner serious or he just does not know how to help someone with depression. He told me to buy some running shoes and start running and to simply take your tablets, telling this to someone who did not wanted to get out of bed for days, did not wanted to eat or talk or actually be there... it was super hard to get in and to get help at the Hollywood hospital clinic. I stayed for a bit over a week and Dr Samuels told me I was good to go home. I was not happy at all and felt worse then when i first had contact with Dr Samuels. I have been very lucky after all this that I have found help from an other psychiatrist.

flag | Submitted March 4, 2018

The worst doctor I’ve ever seen. Honestly. I never met someone as uncaring and judgmental as Dr Samuels and he raked in the $ for my hospital stay while barely seeing me and basically doing nothing but prescribe a couple of harmful useless medications. He also was rude, offensive and judgmental when shaming me for my life choices. Avoid.

flag | Submitted March 2, 2018

Kind of a waste of money. I would see him for 5 maybe 10 minutes at most and that was just because it took a while for the scripts to print out. He's a nice guy, but I felt he wasn't really interested in helping me. I'm surprised he's still in psychiatry. I'm not a very open person, so he'd ask how things were going and it'd just be 'the same', so he'd give me the same anti-depressant, which I realised only after getting a therapist, was actually making me feel far worse (more tired, less motivated, hungry too). Now I'm off it and all anti-d meds (and seeing a different psych) and I feel better. Even though I told him it made me feel worse (along with all 10-15 of the other anti-depressants I've tried), he still seemed to think I should take more anti-d meds. I've even had an allergic reaction to one. ECT was offered to me too. I really liked the receptionists. Anyway, he won't make you feel worse (he is nice), but I doubt he'll make you feel better. Good luck all.

flag | Submitted January 24, 2018

I would not recommend Dr Mathew Samuels to anybody he is arrogant and extremely rude. My Husband nearly died because of his arrogance and unhelpfulness and accused my Daughter of just wanting her Father's money when her father was extremely sick and has been diagnosed with Bi Polar disorder, but said no it was not Bi Polar but a breakdown. Dr Samuels organized between him and our GP - blocked any help from Fremantle Hospital and couldn't see my husband for 4 days.

flag | Submitted May 14, 2017

I think Dr Samuel is an excellent specialist who has treated my mental condition very well in the last four years. He is professional and kind, and I recommend him to anyone who wishes to have a quality specialist.

flag | Submitted May 6, 2017

Very good caring specialist who has treated me very kindly and importantly very successfully

flag | Submitted May 1, 2017

There's more to treatment than chemicals and ECT talking would also help attendance is very poor and consulting not long enough physiotherapy would be a good integration in Mathews treatment

flag | Submitted May 28, 2016

I agree with the other comments posted here, on the whole. I have always been treated well by Dr Samuels, however he is very quick to come to a diagnosis and once he has done so, is totally unwilling to consider any other. He has a 'minimalist' approach to medication (in comparison to some doctors!) and will not over-medicate, however this can sometimes be an issue as I have come to realise. He has refused to address my insomnia problems and did not take my complaints of restless legs syndrome seriously, despite the latter driving me nearly to the point of suicide! In general though, he is a well meaning and knowledgable psychiatrist who deserves a shot whatever your mental health issue may be. One thing everyone who is not familiar with the medical community must realise is that it is very insestuous. By that I mean the quality of treatment you can expect is often dictated by your social status and by how many medical professionals you know socially. If your brother is a doctor, for example, you'll be treated like royalty. If your brother is a tradesman, you won't. It's sad but true.

flag | Submitted January 28, 2016

He was very caring and friendly but actually quite unhelpful. He incorrectly diagnosed me and refused to change his mind, explore other options or ask me what I thought. He seemed to mean well, but he just didn't help me.

Submitted June 19, 2015

Only interested in money. Very insensitive. Just hands out scripts or suggests ECT. Not interested in talking. Won't take time getting to know you. Very black & white. If you don't agree with him he's not open to other suggestions. If things are too hard he won't bother. Reception staff are impossible to deal with and very rude, always interrogating you if you need an urgent appointment or help etc. he's good if you know what you want and need. But if you need advice, sensitivity and genuine care probably not for you.

Submitted April 10, 2014