Ratings for Dr. Karen Devon

I don't think Dr. Devon has enough experience in the area of parathyroid surgery (can't speak about other areas such as thyroid surgery). Ended up having good parathyroids removed and a lot of lymph nodes removed too, and the bad parathyroid gland was left behind. The surgery itself went far too long and left a mess of scar tissue in the neck. So now have to deal with feeling terrible and waiting for the parathyroid adenoma to grow so that a competent surgeon can remove it. Pick your surgeon well so it is done right the first time.

flag | Submitted May 5, 2016

Before my surgery, after first being placed in the wrong room and encountering many confused staff members of Dr. Devon who could not find my file, Dr. Devon comes to me and says "Are you my patient? I don't recognize you." Then I say "Oh, that's not good.", and her response was "Well I have thousands of patients."... This, on top of all the mix ups from the staff, did not give me much confidence the surgery was going to go well. After the surgery, no one checked my calcium levels and it turns out my parathyroids had been damaged during the surgery. I was feeling really terrible, and the nurses just tried to send me home without even checking my calcium levels. In the end I had to stay in the hospital overnight, and was in a lot of pain. I got very little attention from the staff and also no information coming from the surgeon as to what was going on. It was a nightmare. At my follow up with the surgeon a month later, she could not even remember what was removed (ie. whether lymph nodes were removed or not). Also, she was an hour late for that follow up appointment. My mom accompanied me to that, and I felt it was a bit of an insult to us, since I do think my mom's time is important. Being a young 20-something who has never smoked or drank too much (I do my best to be healthy as possible, read about nutrition, exercise etc.), this sense of unimportance of my health that I felt from this doctor was very frustrating. She seems to be very well regarded though so perhaps she just has too much on her plate at the moment. But overall, I felt the treatment I got should not be acceptable and so I hope the WCH has systems in place to improve this. I realize that posting this will do nothing to help me, but I just feel there should be some accountability for these kinds of things.

flag | Submitted January 22, 2016

Dr Devon is excellent, knowledgeable , she care for her patients, thank you Dr.Devon I am Lucky to have you and your team.

flag | Submitted July 11, 2015

Respectful, knowledgeable, approachable and skilled. Thank you, Dr. Devon for giving me my health back.

flag | Submitted April 18, 2015

Such an amazing intelligent and respectful doctor. Thank you to you and your wonderful staff

flag | Submitted January 8, 2015