Ratings for Dr. Steven J. Birnbach

Completely full of himself. talks to hear himself. Not helpful. Hens to take some courses modern therapies. Or better yet he needs to retire.

flag | Submitted May 2, 2017

I have to say that for the first time in about 8yrs I am truly beyond disappointed and disgusted by the incompetence and unprofessionalism this office has provided over the last 4mos. While on my FMLA due to my mother's passing, I went in for my yearly and inquired about IUD insertion and other options. I was given a couple options that were explained by Dr Birnbach. After much thought, I decided to move forward with the IUD. Keep in mind, I had informed Dawn, his nurse (on several occasions) that my FMLA will be ending within 30 days, along with my employment; therefore, I needed to expedite this while I was still covered with insurance. She apparently "placed the order ", however needed to verify insurance would cover the device. I never received a call, so I followed up. She first said yes, then she wanted to confirm again and said she or Randy would call me back. Never heard from either one of them, so I called again. She confirmed they covered 100%.... I was ecstatic. We scheduled an appointment, however, Dr Birnbach was on vacation the day I received my period (which was when they needed to insert). No big deal. Next period came, I called to schedule and they still needed to order it (weird cause she said she did). Something about insurance again. Once it was ordered, we set another appointment. (**I have Leiden Factor V and have had a blood clot in the past. Both Dr Birnbach and Dawn are aware of this and stated the Mirena would be safe since the hormones are localized). I had a follow up with my hematologist who, at that time, said the Mirena should NOT be inserted and I would need an IUD with no hormones. I immediately called Dawn and told her my Dr was adamant on NOT inserting the Mirena and that I needed an IUD with no hormones. She said she'd check with Dr Birnbach and would get back to me. She also said, in that same conversation, that she has Factor V and wouldn't be an issue since Dr Birnbach is a very smart man and wouldn't insert it if he felt it was unsafe, but would check anyway and let me know. Great. So, 2 weeks later, THE DAY OF MY APPOINTMENT, I received a call at 7:45am from Dawn saying Dr Birnbach won't insert it unless he gets an OK from my hematologist. WHAT?? You wait until the DAY OF to get this?? Knowing I've already informed you of this 2 weeks prior??? Well, hematologist wouldn't approve, and guess what..no IUD was put in that day. So, here we are with days left until my insurance expires and they now need to order a copper IUD without the hormones. Dawn says they have to wait until a specific day to place the order cause it's cheaper for the office. Lol. Whatever. So, I wait....patiently. Waited another week or longer to find myself calling back once again to follow up. I think I may have left about 2-3 messages this time around before getting a call back. To my surprise, I was told that my insurance didn't cover and she quoted me $500 on the IUD, out of pocket. Needless to say, I'm pissed and livid, at this point. She said she was going to see what she can do to help me for all the troubles I've gone through with this since it was an error on their part. Got no call, of course. I called....and called...and called. She was on vacation, of course. Fast forward, Dawn called me to tell me she got a "discounted" price of $900. DISCOUNTED! I have never felt so disgusted as I did in that moment. After telling her I don't have that money to pay for that, plus letting her know that I felt they should accommodate me since they've dropped the ball on this BIG TIME! All she kept saying was to pretty much either pay the $900 or wait 3mos until my new insurance from my new employer kicks in. THAT'S how you treat your patient of 8yrs?? And, it being THEIR mistake over and over again?? Had they been on point, as a doctor's office SHOULD BE, none of this aggravation would've happed; insurance would have covered it, I would have the right IUD already inserted, and I wouldn't have had to go through this bs for the last 4 mos while grieving my mother's passing. Why the hell did Dr Birnbach wait until the DAY OF for that note?? Why did Dawn tell me insurance was covered when it wasn't? Why did Dawn quote me $500 and now quoting $900?? Why did she also say she spoke with Dr Birnbach and he said it was OK to have the Mirena when it wasn't?? I'm actively looking for a new obgyn, which is unfortunate since I really felt comfortable and respected him as my doctor. I was truly hoping they would do the right thing since everything was faulted by that office. Too bad. Guess they have other patients they care more for. I FINALLY received a call from Dr Birnbach (after 5 attempts to contact him) and he kept speaking over me then told me to find another doctor and hung up on me. Very professional. This is how they treat you after 8 years and when they're in the wrong. Way to go guys!

flag | Submitted January 16, 2017

Dr. Birnbach has been my physician for 27 years. He is kind, conservative and extremely knowledgeable. He delivered my daughter and now she is his patient too. Wonderful doctor!

flag | Submitted July 22, 2015

I had an appointment for my regular yearly papsmear. I was referred to this doctor by 2 colleagues so I figured he was good? WRONG. They told me my blood results would cost me money through the company they used. I had no problem with that because I was paying cash outright for everything. Next thing I know I get 2 invoices for 138 and 142 from the dianostics center. I called the billing department of dr. Birnbach and spoke to Dawn. She proceeded to tell me that the only thing my doctors visit money was for was just a breast exam and cervix exam. It did not include the testing of my papsmear or the probes used! I went to this doctor for 150, plus now the two bills from the dianostics center. They NEVER explained this to me. I've paid cash for everything since I was 16 and never have paid close to 500 for a yearly visit. I pray this doctor either goes out of business or gets shut down for unlawful acts.

flag | Submitted April 27, 2015

Dr. Birnbach has been my doctor for 20 years. He is well respected in the medical community, and trusted by his peers and his patients. He has delivered 2 of my children and has been absolutely wonderful and dedicated to my health. His approach is conservative and cautious. I would recommend him very highly.

flag | Submitted January 26, 2012

I had a lesion on my vulva and rather than doing a biopsy, Dr. Birnbach just sent me away with a steriod creme and charged me $625 for the office visit. I have just had major surgery and if this doctor would have done a biopsy, the surgery would have been minor.

flag | Submitted May 28, 2011

So far he has been very helpful. he makes me feel comfortable.

flag | Submitted October 23, 2010

Very professional, intelligent, caring, knowledgable, trustworthy, and always well educated on current issues and technology. Excellent bedside manner. Handles both difficult and joyous matters with tremendous individual care.

flag | Submitted July 20, 2010

Dr.Birnbach was recommended to me by a friend. I went to him to because I was having some spotting issues and was also ready to start a family. Dr. Birnbach told me that I had PCOS and gave me clomid. First, he put me on a dose of 50 mg and then told me to come in day 21 to check my progesterone levels to see if I ovulated. Well, at the time I was checking my temperature and new that I always ovulated day 20, and therefore, my progesterone would not be high until day 27, as progesterone peaks approximately 7 days after you ovulate. Thank goodness I did my own research afterwards because I was devastated when the dr told me I didn't ovulate (when in fact I did and he tested too soon.) furthermore, he told me to take a dose of 100 mg of clomid. Well, i wanted and second opinion and thankfully another dr said 1) cyst on my ovary was consistent with ovulation) and 2) as a result of the clomid, my cyst was huge and additional clomid could have had horrible consequences

flag | Submitted May 18, 2009

Very professional and low key. very caring as well.

flag | Submitted August 1, 2008

Dr. Steven J. Birnbach's Credentials

• Suny-Hlth Sci Ctr At Brooklyn, Coll Of Med, Brooklyn Ny 11203 (Grad. 1979)

Commercial Insurance Company