Ratings for Dr. Justin Vanderleest

Justin is a great physical therapist. He's very well educated, thorough, kind and funny. I started seeing Justin in 2014 after my car accident for neck and shoulder pain. I'm happy to say I no longer have neck and shoulder pain. He was very thorough and explained the treatments to me. He took his time and made sure I understood how and why I needed to do my exercises. This may explain the reasons why he could be late at times. He doesn't rush you out the door. My son also sees Justin for sports related injuries and again he took his time to explain the injury and the importance of exercises and treatments. I'm back seeing Justin again for a knee injury. I wouldn't go anywhere else. I highly recommend Justin, I truly trust his knowledge and expertise.

flag | Submitted November 13, 2016

I'm a cancer survivor who suffers from chronic post-treatment pains. It took me awhile to figure out that exercise and physiotherapy together would keep the pains at bay so that I do not have to depend on pain meds. I've been seeing Justin for treatment almost 7 months now. Within 2 months of treatment with Justin, my surgery scar tissues were VISIBLY more pliable, and the pains subsided. I had to see another therapist once, when Justin was unavailable, and suffered bruising for an entire week! Never again! Justin is knowledgeable, humorous, sincere, and puts his patients first, above all else. I highly recommend Justin and suggest he is worth the drive even if you do not live close by.

flag | Submitted November 11, 2016

I've been working with Justin for over a year for knee and back pain. He is very knowledgeable and identifies problems other physios I've been to couldn't. He's not warm and fuzzy but treats his patients with care and respect. I prefer someone I can have an intelligent conversation with to those doctors who put on a fake smile and try to get rid of you as quickly as they can. I would (and have) recommend him to anyone who is in need of physiotherapy. I would

flag | Submitted November 9, 2016

I broke my elbow a few years ago and if it wasn't for Justin, I do not think I would have the mobility I have today. He is very educated and knowledgeable and goes the extra mile for his patients. I have recommended Justin to many people.

flag | Submitted November 9, 2016

As a Professional Athlete, my body is very important to me. I injured my knee in training and saw a handful of different qualified physiotherapists. Some diagnosed me wrong, while others it seemed just wanted my money and not to help my recovery. I was referred to Justin and after the first visit, I knew he was perfect for me. He took his time, made sure I understand what was going on and was very patient. He would follow up with me even on days I didn't go in to make sure I was healing and not doing anything to hurt myself further. I believe if it wasn't for Dr. Justin Vanderleest, I would still be immobile and in search of someone that could help me. He is qualified, knows what he is doing, and puts his patients best interest first. 10/10

flag | Submitted November 9, 2016

As a former dancer turned desk jockey, I’ve struggled with lower and upper back pain and injuries since I was 13. Then, while running, I developed a tendonitis that prevented me from training for an upcoming race. Justin’s guidance was invaluable to my recovery. He’s personable, but professional, and I felt as though he genuinely cared about my injuries and recovery. He made sure that I understood not only the exercises and treatment that I was prescribed, but also the physiology behind it. He didn’t suggest frequent and expensive follow-up appointments, but instead helped chart a recovery plan that didn’t exhaust my budget and waste my time. When I asked about orthotics for my running shoes, he suggested we focus on practicing the exercises first and seeing whether that could correct my foot position rather than spending the money on something that may not be necessary. My back injuries have improved dramatically — I’m no longer having back spasms that render me immobile for 20-30 seconds for the first time since my teens. His treatment, exercises and the suggestion of regular yoga - at home or in class - have done wonders for the back pain resulting from years of sitting at a desk. My tendonitis has completely disappeared. I’ve been setting Personal Records injury-free!

flag | Submitted November 8, 2016

A couple of years ago I broke my collar bone. To make things worse, my shoulder also froze. I was referred to Justin by a colleague. I had t go through over 1 and 1/2 years of Physiotherapy with Justin as it took this long for my shoulder to thaw out and regain my mobility. Throughout this whole time Justin was very helpful. He was excellent at dealing with my pain managment. Justin superb knowledge of Physiotherapy and the most recent therapy treatments allowed for my complete recovery. It it wasn't for Justin I would not be able to go back to work and function 100%. Thank you Justin for being there for me and helping me deal with my recovery. I still go see Justin about other physical ailments that bother me. I have also referred other friends to Justin and they conquer with me that he is a true professional and expert in his field.

flag | Submitted November 8, 2016

Never doubt that Justin is likely the most intelligent person in the room. Unfortunately, his EQ is his biggest hurdle. He was constantly late, even for the first appointment of the day, watched television while treating patients and always seemed to be angry. He treated staff poorly in front of patients and was quick to lose his patience if you didn't understand what he was explaining. If you can get past that he might be able to help you.

Submitted October 19, 2016

Dr. Justin Vanderleest's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Justin graduated with distinction from the University of Saskatchewan in 2005 and developed a busy orthopaedic and sports rehabilitation caseload in Regina. There, he shared the responsibility of treating the University of Regina Varsity teams and developed special interests in pre-season screening, elite training programs and injury prevention. In 2011, Justin took a break from his Regina practice to organize a rehabilitation aide training and employment program to assist overburdened hospital staff in rural Zimbabwe. Upon completion of that program in Africa, Justin returned to Canada to pursue a Master’s degree in advanced orthopaedics and joint manipulation at Western University, a program designed to develop manual therapy expertise. Justin is pa of a small percentage of Canadian physical therapists to have completed that program, which earned him a prestigious fellowship with the Canadian Academy of Manipulative Physical Therapists. Subsequently, Justin moved to Toronto. He has practiced throughout the GTA, building the bulk of his caseload in Mississauga. Currently, he is practicing at The Core Optimum Health and Performance Centre. Justin is a health advisor to the Globe and Mail and contributor to the Huffington Post. Since 2013, he has been a clinical educator for student physical therapists, and currently holds an adjunct lecturer position with the University of Toronto department of physical therapy. Justin competes in several sports at a high level. He was the Saskatchewan provincial squash champion for years. At Western, Justin played varsity squash team winning an OUA team championship and garnering the personal honours of All-Star and Canadian Rookie of the Year. Justin also competed at sprint canoe, winning a team boat national championship in 2006. Justin is also an avid cyclist and runner. In the past few years, he has turned his attention to recreational triathlon, competing in road and cross triathlons across Ontario.

• English

• Western University (Grad. 2012)
  • University of Saskatchewan (Grad. 2005)

• Rotator cuff injury