Ratings for Dr. Wouter Hugo

I saw Dr. Hugo for a cervical biopsy, followed by a LEEP and finally a cold knife conization. I rated his knowledge as fair because with me, I believe he was practicing beyond his field and should have referred me to a obgyn who specialized in oncology. My conization did not go well. The hospital nursing staff did not accurately asses my condition and nearly discharged me with an active bleed. I complained of the need to urinate but was told is was caused by the medication. When I was returned to the OR to stop the bleeding, they drained 2 liters of urine from my bladder; the packing had been so tight, it pinched off my urethra, preventing me from going pee. I nearly needed a blood transfusion and in the end, I saw an obgyn that specialized in oncology for a hysterectomy because I suffered from cervical stenosis after the conization. I found this doctor to be somewhat annoyed by all my questions regarding my condition. If I would have seen this doctor for my hysterectomy, I'm certain I would no longer have a bladder-he routinely performs them laparoscopically and I was not a good candidate for this type as my bladder was fused to my uterus from all the damage. I would caution others about seeing this doctor for anything that is not routine or atypical. Sadly, I know that he didn't have the best of support from the hospital staff as when he was attempting to control my bleeding, the room I was placed in did not have the necessary supplies and the last nurse aiding him was called to the ER and he was left with no support for his patient. I would not return to Camrose hospital because of these reasons.

flag | Submitted January 14, 2017

I have had a few medical appointments with Dr Hugo and have found him to be extremely helpful and knowledgeable about his practice. He even researched more info on my other medical conditions and was extremely helpful! If it was not for him and his extreme thoroughness Lord only knows what condition I would be in right now as it was him that cared enough to be so thorough in his examination of me that he discovered that I was M.R.S.A positive after having a tumor removed from my sinuses at an Edmonton hospital! He also did a minor surgical procedure on my hand as It was infected with the virus as well! A procedure that should have been taken care of by the doctor who was in charge of. Infectious diseases control...and that doctor refused to treat me!! Dr.Hugo is amazing and he truly cares for his patients in fact he goes above and beyond! You are truly missed here. Thank you for all of your help over the years! See you at the store!😊

flag | Submitted April 11, 2016

I saw Dr Hugo at the emergency he was called in because i was hemorrhaging from a miscarriage. I had been to emerg before and the other gyno gave me no answers he was so helpful. He removed what was causing my bleeding and monitored me for a few hours. He said if i need the surgery in the end he will do it for me. He didnt just stop at helping me in that moment. He told me my reoccuring miscarriages were not just because. He told me to take a baby aspirin and progesterone next time we try; he truly believes this will help me carry to term. He made both my husband and i feel comfortable. And unlike many other doctors he treated us like humans. We are a young married couple (22 and 23) and many Drs make us feel as if we are dumb for starting a family now. He encouraged me and made me feel as if this is possible! I am very happy with him and i Thank him for everything he did for me. You are an amazing Dr!

flag | Submitted October 26, 2015

I hesitate to leave this review, but I left my appointment feeling like my exam was inappropriate. I informed my husband of what happened and he was angry. I have multiple children and had numerous pelvic exams over the years, and this is the only one where I felt it crossed the line. No nurse was present which is my fault too, I should have asked. I'm urging others to feel the same to come forward. I have already mentioned it to my family doctor and after speaking with 2 other former patients, feel like something needs to be said. I hope my rating isn't deleted but I would really stress that you have a nurse present for a pelvic exam no matter what.

flag | Submitted January 4, 2015

I am very impressed with this doctor. When I was sick and in and out of the hospital for 2 years, i was finally told to go see a specialist. I had an appointment the next week, and was given medication to treat endometriosis right away. He also wanted to do a laproscopy, and I was put on the urgent list, and got in within a month. After the surgery, I was told that I indeed had endometriosis, and he was glad that he caught it on time, because it was getting to be pretty severe. The scars healed well, and I am back on my feet. After I was also told to get an IUD in place, and there were troubles with the insertion, but when the first one flipped, he made sure that the clinic paid for the second one. I have been up and going ever since and do not have to worry about this for a long time! Greatly appreciated!

flag | Submitted May 6, 2013

I went to see him because I have a huge uterine fibroid,and I went with my partner and when he found out we were a lesbians couple he started to saying "why we want to have a baby? a baby need a father, a baby is not a toy to play with, and the end he told me that because I am lesbian I HAVE TO NOT HAVE KIDS AND MY UTERINE HAVE TO BE REMOVED , so I was feeling so bad becuase of him , I am not deserve to have a kid because I am lesbian? it was june 2012, I am still waiting to have sugery to remove the fibroid.I do not know where I can go to complaint about it.I felt discriminated for being LESBIAN.

flag | Submitted February 13, 2013

He was only able to identify 1 out of 2 problems I am having. Even though I have seen multiple doctors since january and he is supposed to specialize in gynecology. He was also an ****. He told me I was too young to be sexually active and spend 15 minutes giving me a morality speech. This is not what I'm going to the doctor for, he was even bold enough to ask me if I was a "loose" woman.

flag | Submitted July 31, 2012

We took a day off and drove a long ways to see him and when we got there he said he needed to do more research on my disease so I had to come back in 2 weeks even though he knew in advance we were coming to discuss this disease. Constantly interrupted and dismissed any opinions we had without even listening to them.

flag | Submitted July 3, 2012

In the same breath that he told me I had cervical cancer, he berated me for being a lesbian, he told me I would never go to heaven and that god was punishing me for being gay. I should've changed Dr.'s then but I needed the procedure done so I went back to him, he did the leep procedure and when I got home I had to be rushed by ambulance back to camrose as he had cut an artery and I had began to bleed out, 12 hours after what was supposed to be a simple procedure the bleeding had stopped and I had been sent home again. Again, I should've changed Dr.'s, but I didn't want to believe that he would give me sub-standard healthcare because I was gay so a year later when I needed my check up I went back, I was then diagnosed with endometriosis, he did a laproscopic surgery that seemed to have gone fine until 6 months later when I could no longer move, scar tissue had built up around my ovaries, so we did another surgery that I came out of with the worst bladder infection I've ever had.

flag | Submitted May 14, 2012

To my new favorite doctor & surgeon! In my eyes, Dr Wouter Hugo has every quality required to be a top of the line doctor! Dr Hugo is competent, good natured, caring, easy to talk too, has good bed side manners & listened to all my concerns. He takes the time to do a thorough subjective & objective examination. He educated & explained everything I needed to know regarding my condition & surgery. Also he always enquired if I understood the information he was providing or if I had any question. I feel comfortable & confident in any of his recommendations regarding my health. Thank you Dr Hugo for cutting me open & taking that large tumor out of my abdomen... You did an amazing job! Thanks for taking care of me Dr Hugo :)

flag | Submitted February 24, 2012