Ratings for Dr. John L. Pfenninger

I went to Dr. Pfenninger for a vasectomy. I called in January and schedule the procedure for February. The very nice receptionist in the office sent all the paperwork in the mail and I was able to fill it out in the comfort of my home. The office called and confirmed my appointment three days prior to the appointment. Yes they will charge you if you don't confirm your appointment, but all you have to do is call and leave a message. Dr. Pfenninger is great. He is definitely a people person and I had no problem talking with him. He is like most doctors concerned with your health. I had a quick physical and he did offer some literature of his to read. If you are getting a vasectomy just take the columns he offers. You are going to be resting anyway and you can get some free knowledge while you do it. The vasectomy took twenty minutes and went flawless. I am on day six and have had no problems. I have followed Dr. Pfenningers instructions and feel great. If you are looking to get a vasectomy I recommend him and the procedure he uses. You will have to hurry though, he is retiring and will be done practicing medicine in May.

flag | Submitted February 11, 2018

When I read the few positive reviews that are on here, I have to imagine that his own staff is writing them or that he's offering an incentive to patients to write a positive review. I just can't believe that anyone has a good experience at this place. The negative reviews all talk about the same issues and are EXACTLY what I have experienced.

flag | Submitted September 26, 2017

This is more than a doctors office but more like a second home. The place is elegant, the staff is so friendly and the doctor is above 5 stars. I went in for a vasectomy and never enjoyed a procedure so much! I would probably do it again! He made me feel very welcome and comfortable. He knows how to talk to his patients to make them feel welcome and relaxed. The initial consultation was wonderful. Not only did he explain to a T about that but he gave me valuable information about my overall health. He took his time and explained everything to me and answered my questions without making me feel rushed. Exceptional doctor with vast knowledge. Now about the vasectomy itself. If I know how easy this was going to be I would've done it a long time ago. The tool he uses to numb the area is above and beyond any means necessary. It feels like you lightly flick it with your finger if not less than that. It was numbed within seconds and he started the procedure. I just laid there talking with him and the entire thing lasted no more than 15 minutes and I was on my way. If you are thinking of getting a vasectomy go to this doctor! It was an amazing experience and like mentioned earlier I could do it all over because it was easier than most things I do everyday! Thank you so much Dr. Pfenninger and staff! You went above and beyond! A++++

flag | Submitted August 13, 2016

Very fast and friendly service, doctor was down to earth and very personable.

flag | Submitted June 20, 2016

I was asked to arrive 15 min before apt to update paperwork. I arrived 20 min prior and waited 25 minutes before anyone came to the window. They requested my driver's license info and credit card information be on file. I declined. In the exam room, the dr again requested the credit card info. After declining again, he refused to proceed and abruptly walked out. UNBELIEVABLE !!!!

flag | Submitted March 23, 2016

Very rude staff and doctor. I watched several patients have to argue with immature receptionists because they charge $10 if you don't fill out your paperwork in advance. If you try to leave they threaten to charge you $50 for leaving. They make a HUGE deal about being on time (if you're late, you guessed it...huge fee!). Also you have to call to confirm your appointment or there's a $50-$100 fee! Check their website--this is all true. Once you finally see the doctor (who is always late), you have to listen to him tell you all about the "medical" column he writes for the small, local paper. Every single thing in your medical history he finds a way to reference the articles and hands you a pile of poorly copied articles as you leave. It's hard to sit in the room with his ego. They clearly have fights with their patients all the time. When I left, I noticed that he had written several things down as diagnosis that he hadn't even looked at for me. I guess that's what you get for going to a "doctor" that also does eyelash extensions! Save yourself major frustration and the experience of being made to feel inferior by going somewhere else. I know I'll never go back

flag | Submitted February 12, 2016

Dr J Pfenninger should publish a book of all of his columns in the Midland Daily News. I'm a pharmacist and he is always right on about his topics. I especially like the columns on diets. Thank you Dr P, and I'll be the first to buy that book!

flag | Submitted January 13, 2016

As Buck J commented, I've never dealt with a more immature and rude front office staff in my life. In particular, a girl named "Dee". I work morning to night and because I didn't call to "confirm" my appointment, they threatened to cancel my appointment and charge me $100. Why would I need to confirm an appointment? This is the first "medical" office that I've ever heard of that requires an additional confirmation on an appointment that was already made. On the day of my procedure, I called to see if I had an appointment and "Dee" was once again extremely rude. When I told her I worked morning to night and didn't have an opportunity to call to confirm and appointment I already made, she said "I don't have time to discuss this" and when I said she was really rude, she stated "you are really rude, and hung up on me". This was 2 hours prior to my appointment which I was already nervous for. Go somewhere else. Don't give your business to a place that hires office staff that are completely disrespectful to their patients. Unbelievable.

flag | Submitted October 2, 2015

Dr. Pfenninger performed my vasectomy yesterday and it couldn't have gone any better. Not only in regards to the actual procedure but every aspect as well. It was a terrific experience because not only did I have the procedure but I also learned valuable health information. During the consultation visit he went above and beyond just a quick review of a vasectomy. He talked about healthy lifestyles in areas of eating habits, exercise, tanning beds, vitamins, etc. I was expecting a 2 minute visit to cover the basic hoopla with a pre-rehearsed speech that would get me in and out of there quickly. I couldn't have been more wrong. He was very compassionate and really interested in my medical condition and lifestyle choices. We shared personal stories about each others' lives and I truly enjoyed my visit. When finished he takes the time for his staff to provide you copies of medical articles he has written covering topics that pertain to you. Being one to deplore doctor offices and hospitals, I really appreciated his humor to lighten the mood and help put me at ease. His office environment and waiting room are beautifully designed and decorated to further ease the anxiety of being at a medical facility. His staff was great! I had enjoyable conversations with several different staff especially Annette. I would highly recommend Dr. Pfenninger for any of the services he provides. God willing I won't have the need to see a doctor for anything other than a physical but rest assured if I do, Dr. Pfenniger will be the doctor I go to.

flag | Submitted September 30, 2015

Office is very rude. ended up cancelling our appointment and charging $50! Save yourself the frustration and go somewhere else.

flag | Submitted July 23, 2015

Dr. John L. Pfenninger's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

• University Of Michigan Medical School (Grad. 1974)

Commercial Insurance Company