Dr. Jaggi Rao, MD, FRCPC (Dermatology)

Outstanding Staff Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Jaggi Rao, MD, FRCPC (Dermatology)

I had a great experience at this Dermatology Centre. Dr. Rao accommodated me though I was quite anxious, frantic and scared of my skin. He was reassuring and calm. He is a great doctor with compassion and confidence. I'm happy that my skin is better...didn't think it would ever happen. Thank u. Thank u.

flag | Submitted September 24, 2017

Dr. Rao was very kind and patient with my number of skin conditions and answered every single one of them. He and his team are very compassionate and generous. He was able to even get me trade samples by writing a letter to a pharmaceutical company. My skin is greatly improved thanks to him. I couldn't be any happier and am very very grateful. Thank you so much.

flag | Submitted September 23, 2017

Dr. Jaggi Rao is the worst dermatologist in Edmonton. He doesn't know much about skin disease. I went to his office for skin trouble treatment , referred by my family doctor. He gave me some ointment to treat one dark spot near my hip in June. It doesn't work. In July, eczema flared up all over my legs. He wanted to quit and sent me to another doctor in his office. My family doctor has referred me to another doctor downtown specialized in skin disease on account of Dr. Rao incompetency and rude. However, his office is extremely commercialized. It appears the advertisement will make a huge profit to fill his money chest.

flag | Submitted September 22, 2017

I went to see Dr. Rao last year before my wedding to get my skin wedding ready. I had teenage onset acne which had never really gone away despite now being in my 30's. Dr. Rao helped fix that with some prescription medications. Once my skin had healed from that I underwent a series of laser treatments to first get rid of the redness in my skin and then to resurface and smooth it out. It made my skin absolutely glow! I can't thank Dr. Rao and his staff enough for helping making my skin wonderful. Dr. Rao was always very pleasant, as were his staff. I would recommend him to anyone 100%.

flag | Submitted September 3, 2017

Very gracious and hospitable group. You can tell that they are very experienced, successful and professional. They went out of their way to make me feel warm, welcome and were tremendously helpful. Most definitely a class apart.

flag | Submitted August 23, 2017

Dr. Rao and his team were over-accomodating for me, having experienced a complication from another centre. It was a cosmetic laser treatment that caused a burn. They were compassionate, quick to get me in, knowledgable and useful. I know they prevented a major scar and I can't thank them enough. I am a also a healthcare professional, and this is the only dermatology centre that I would go to in Alberta.

flag | Submitted August 22, 2017

Simply outstanding dermatologist and team. Experienced and knowledgable...worth the wait. Helped me out +++.

flag | Submitted August 19, 2017

I wish I lived in Canada and got a chance to visit Dr Rao. Severe acne since a teenager I am 35yrs old now and still struggling. Tried topical and oral medications nothing helps.

flag | Submitted August 10, 2017

Fantastic dermatologist. Was impressed by his knowledge and bedside manners. It's obvious that he and his entire team was compassionate and very knowledgable. Definitely one of the best doctors I've visited. Will be seeing him frequently over time.

flag | Submitted August 7, 2017

My experience at Dr. Rao's Alberta Dermal Surgery clinic was not good at all. Originally I came to Dr. Rao to remove a 2 mm mole on my cheek that was raised about 1 mm. The nurse said the first mole costs $250 to remove, and any others only cost an additional $50 each, so I figured I'll remove all the tiny ones I have while we're at it, 7 in total. The procedure happened about 1.5 months ago, but as you'll see below it was very obvious many things went wrong, so I knew to type out all the specifics of what happened so I wouldn't forget. Everything went wrong on the day I was booked to have several moles removed from my face. I was supposed to arrive at 10 AM to have freezing done, then at 10:30 have them removed with lasers. 11:10 AM rolls around, and only then they decide to call me. LPN Sonia met with me, and said that we might have to do an injection instead of the cream because the injection is quicker and they're already behind schedule. First red flag. I said let's put on the numbing cream immediately, and then decide later to use the injections if the laser hurts too much. 2 minutes later (I wish I was exaggerating), Sonia comes back and tells me the laser is ready for me, so I follow her to one of the rooms. This was the first time I learnt she's the one who's going to be using the laser. I was under the impression Dr. Rao will be performing the procedure, but apparently not. She used the depigmenting laser first, but a few minutes after she started one of the other nurses rushed in the door and told her "Oh there's my laser! I've been looking all over for it! Can I have it back now?" -- All while Sonia is literally lasering my skin off. I don't know which nurse it is that came through the door because my eyes were covered. Sonia cracked under the pressure, and said "I'll be done in a sec!" The other nurse continued to pressure Sonia for another 30 seconds before Sonia gave the laser away. I didn't know it at the time because I was stressed out and in pain, but Sonia definitely didn't finish using that laser when she gave it away, so she used the other more 'flesh removing laser' to remove flat pigmented moles, creating multiple crevices around my face. After looking at mole and pigment removal online, I still don't know why she decided to remove my skin on flat moles instead of just removing the pigmentation, other than laziness and cutting corners. The biggest problem for me right now is that she used the 'flesh removing laser' (I'm assuming it's higher intensity and wavelength than the depigmenting laser) on a tiny 1 mm flat mole on the center of the tip of my nose, so now I have a 3 mm wide and 1.5 mm deep crevice right at the tip of my nose. It looks like a small donut because the center is lower and the edges are much higher and raised. I can tell based on the damage that Sonia used a 3 mm spot size for the laser (you can tell the exact circle the laser hit). My biggest mole was 2 mm, more than half are 1 mm. Why she needed to laser an area 10 times larger than my moles is beyond me. Had I known they don't have a more precise laser I would have gone to a more technologically advanced clinic, or chose not to laser most of my moles. Nobody warned me about this. Sonia also used the 'flesh removing laser' on a raised unpigmented mole I had on my cheek (the one I originally came to remove), but she actually missed or forgot where the mole was so you could tell she lasered the mole about 5 mm above where the mole is. At the edge of where the hole that the laser caused is still the original unpigmented mole, seemingly unharmed, albeit 20% smaller because the edge of the damage was right above the actual mole. That hole is now about 2 mm deep, 6 mm x 5 mm, so I highly doubt I'll even request the touch-up lasering that they offer because I don't want my entire cheek to be covered in holes and scars. For whatever reason, Sonia also used the 'flesh removing laser' on a flat pigmented mole I had on my chin, so now there's a hyperpigmented 0.5 mm deep and 4 mm diameter crevice where that mole used to be. That damage isn't as significant as the others Sonia had caused. I guess I have to be thankful at least that Sonia didn't used the 'flesh removing laser' on my other flat pigmented moles (basically the size of freckles), but she also definitely undertreated them when she rushed to give away the depigmenting laser. Overall I have to say that I'm completely disappointed by how unprofessional Sonia and the other unidentified nurse were. I may now have several permanent scars and crevices that were caused by repeatedly cutting corners all while charging me their usual pricing. If I wanted to get butchered I'm sure someone in the back alley could have done a better job. I had to take 2 days off from work because that 3 mm deep hole on my cheek and the 1.5 mm deep donut on my nose kept bleeding through the bandages. To say I regret going to Dr. Rao would be a monumental understatement.

Submitted June 13, 2017

Dr. Jaggi Rao, MD, FRCPC (Dermatology)

Dr. Jaggi Rao, MD, FRCPC (Dermatology)'s response
Thank you Ben for reaching out. We understand your concerns and are glad that we were able to see you for reassessment after we had learned about this review. We understand that any 1st time experience can be overwhelming and stressful, but we always try to do our best to make our patients feel as comfortable as possible. We apologize that you had felt the way you are describing and we wish you connected with us right away to address this. As for the skin concerns, we would like you to be reassured that everything you are experiencing is due to healing process. We understand that it could be not up to your expectations, but healing takes time and mole removal is a process that can take multiple treatments and several moths to be completed. We always recommend to each patient who undergoes this type of procedure to book a follow up directly with us in 6-8 weeks. This gives us a chance to reassess and provide a treatment if required. Your review appeared on the 6th week post your treatment. This was a time for a follow up. We regret that instead of giving us a chance to help you and to complete our job, you chose to stay silent with us. We are glad we were able to connect with you and to get you back in our care. We are looking forward to see you for our next routine check up in a month. We are confident that you will be happy with the final results. Best regards.

Submitted July 25, 2017

Dr. Jaggi Rao, MD, FRCPC (Dermatology)'s Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Jaggi Rao, MD, FRCPC (Dermatology) Dr. Jaggi Rao is a double board certified dermatologist (Canada and USA) and a certified cosmetic surgeon. He completed his 5 year dermatology training at the University of Alberta, followed by an accredited fellowship with the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery in Southern California. Dr. Rao is a full Clinical Professor of Medicine at the University of Alberta. Dr. Rao has won several accolades for research and teaching, including the Canadian Dermatology Association’s Teacher of the Year Award. In 2011, he was the recipient of Avenue Magazine’s Top 40 under 40 Award. He has authored over 50 scientific papers and textbook chapters, and has been an invited speaker for over 500 lectures worldwide to physicians, other professionals, and the general public. Dr. Rao continues to lend his expertise to various organizations. He sits on the board of directors for CAAM( Canadian Association of Aesthetics Medicine) and acts as a consultant to the government (such as the Canadian Standards Association), laser and pharmaceutical industry, and professional sports teams. He is the creator and visionary behind ConsultDERM™, Canada’s largest teledermatology service, allowing health care providers timely access to assistance for patients with skin-related problems. Due to his well known expertise in laser technologies, he is the co-founder of AMT( Aesthetics Medicine Training Academy of Canada ) which has hosted the only nonbiased comprehensive course in the fundamentals of laser therapy. As he has luminary status in advanced injection techniques ,Dr. Rao is an official trainer of injectables (Botox and fillers). With his talent and passion for dermatology and cosmetic surgery, , Dr. Rao is always ready to provide education, expert advice and top notch patient care.

• English

• Mc Master Univ, Sch Of Med, Hamilton, Ont, Canada (Grad. 1998)
  • University of Alberta

• Hair loss
  • Cystic fibrosis
  • Migraine
  • Moles

• Dr Rao has luminary status in advanced injection techniques ,Dr. Rao is an official trainer of injectables (Botox and fillers).
  • Dr Rao is well known for expertise in laser technologies, he is the co-founder of AMT( Aesthetics Medicine Training Academy of Canada ) which has hosted the only nonbiased comprehensive course in the fundamentals of laser therapy.
  • In 2011, he was the recipient of Avenue Magazine’s Top 40 under 40 Award. He has authored over 50 scientific papers and textbook chapters, and has been an invited speaker for over 500 lectures worldwide to physicians, other professionals, and the general
  • Dr. Rao has won several accolades for research and teaching, including the Canadian Dermatology Association’s Teacher of the Year Award
  • Dr. Rao is a full Clinical Professor of Medicine at the University of Alberta.
  • He sits on the board of directors for CAAM( Canadian Association of Aesthetics Medicine) and acts as a consultant to the government (such as the Canadian Standards Association), laser and pharmaceutical industry, and professional sports teams.
  • He is the creator and visionary behind ConsultDERM™, Canada’s largest teledermatology service, allowing health care providers timely access to assistance for patients with skin-related problems.