Ratings for Dr. Jaggi Rao, MD, FRCPC (Dermatology)

Overrated. He prescribes Acutone for 3 months for acne for which he billed AB Health and got paid when I actually had needed antibiotics as there was bacterial skin infection. Bad experience! I wasted my time and health. Due to his treatment I am left with acne scars all over my face and this way he makes sure, patient goes back to him for face peel for scars which Alberta Health does not cover. Don't ever go to him, please.

Submitted July 21, 2017

Dr. Jaggi Rao, MD, FRCPC (Dermatology)'s response
Dear patient, we apologize if you are feeling this way and we are sorry that you had a bad experience at our centre. We would like to follow up with you on your statement as this is important to us. We would be happy to help, but we have no way to reach out to you and are unsure who you are. Please contact our office as soon as possible to address this directly with us. You are claiming that you were on Accutane for 3 months. This is not accurate according to our clinical protocols as all of our Accutane cases are on the 4 month + treatment plan with routine follow up appointments. The treatment course can vary is some cases due to adverse reactions and side effects, which we rarely seen happening in our practice over many years of dermatology experience. You are stating your condition was "bacterial skin infection". You are partially correct as acne is related to bacteria. Accutane helps to manage this bacteria and oil that our skin produces. Accutane does not cause acne. It is a scientific fact. The experience that each person goes through while on Accutane may vary. In some cases it may appear that the skin is going through phases and looks worse at times. But this would be the only proof that this is acne, not bacterial infection. You are stating that you have acne scars. This again contradicts your statement. We already know that Accutane does not cause acne. You are confident that you had skin infection, not acne. Therefore, we believe it is not accurate to claim that you had developed acne scars post bacterial skin infection. This all just does not sound logical. We would greatly appreciate if you could please follow up with our office to look into this matter further. We are hoping you will connect with us as we are wanting to help. Best regards.

Submitted July 25, 2017

My experience at Dr. Rao's Alberta Dermal Surgery clinic was not good at all. Originally I came to Dr. Rao to remove a 2 mm mole on my cheek that was raised about 1 mm. The nurse said the first mole costs $250 to remove, and any others only cost an additional $50 each, so I figured I'll remove all the tiny ones I have while we're at it, 7 in total. The procedure happened about 1.5 months ago, but as you'll see below it was very obvious many things went wrong, so I knew to type out all the specifics of what happened so I wouldn't forget. Everything went wrong on the day I was booked to have several moles removed from my face. I was supposed to arrive at 10 AM to have freezing done, then at 10:30 have them removed with lasers. 11:10 AM rolls around, and only then they decide to call me. LPN Sonia met with me, and said that we might have to do an injection instead of the cream because the injection is quicker and they're already behind schedule. First red flag. I said let's put on the numbing cream immediately, and then decide later to use the injections if the laser hurts too much. 2 minutes later (I wish I was exaggerating), Sonia comes back and tells me the laser is ready for me, so I follow her to one of the rooms. This was the first time I learnt she's the one who's going to be using the laser. I was under the impression Dr. Rao will be performing the procedure, but apparently not. She used the depigmenting laser first, but a few minutes after she started one of the other nurses rushed in the door and told her "Oh there's my laser! I've been looking all over for it! Can I have it back now?" -- All while Sonia is literally lasering my skin off. I don't know which nurse it is that came through the door because my eyes were covered. Sonia cracked under the pressure, and said "I'll be done in a sec!" The other nurse continued to pressure Sonia for another 30 seconds before Sonia gave the laser away. I didn't know it at the time because I was stressed out and in pain, but Sonia definitely didn't finish using that laser when she gave it away, so she used the other more 'flesh removing laser' to remove flat pigmented moles, creating multiple crevices around my face. After looking at mole and pigment removal online, I still don't know why she decided to remove my skin on flat moles instead of just removing the pigmentation, other than laziness and cutting corners. The biggest problem for me right now is that she used the 'flesh removing laser' (I'm assuming it's higher intensity and wavelength than the depigmenting laser) on a tiny 1 mm flat mole on the center of the tip of my nose, so now I have a 3 mm wide and 1.5 mm deep crevice right at the tip of my nose. It looks like a small donut because the center is lower and the edges are much higher and raised. I can tell based on the damage that Sonia used a 3 mm spot size for the laser (you can tell the exact circle the laser hit). My biggest mole was 2 mm, more than half are 1 mm. Why she needed to laser an area 10 times larger than my moles is beyond me. Had I known they don't have a more precise laser I would have gone to a more technologically advanced clinic, or chose not to laser most of my moles. Nobody warned me about this. Sonia also used the 'flesh removing laser' on a raised unpigmented mole I had on my cheek (the one I originally came to remove), but she actually missed or forgot where the mole was so you could tell she lasered the mole about 5 mm above where the mole is. At the edge of where the hole that the laser caused is still the original unpigmented mole, seemingly unharmed, albeit 20% smaller because the edge of the damage was right above the actual mole. That hole is now about 2 mm deep, 6 mm x 5 mm, so I highly doubt I'll even request the touch-up lasering that they offer because I don't want my entire cheek to be covered in holes and scars. For whatever reason, Sonia also used the 'flesh removing laser' on a flat pigmented mole I had on my chin, so now there's a hyperpigmented 0.5 mm deep and 4 mm diameter crevice where that mole used to be. That damage isn't as significant as the others Sonia had caused. I guess I have to be thankful at least that Sonia didn't used the 'flesh removing laser' on my other flat pigmented moles (basically the size of freckles), but she also definitely undertreated them when she rushed to give away the depigmenting laser. Overall I have to say that I'm completely disappointed by how unprofessional Sonia and the other unidentified nurse were. I may now have several permanent scars and crevices that were caused by repeatedly cutting corners all while charging me their usual pricing. If I wanted to get butchered I'm sure someone in the back alley could have done a better job. I had to take 2 days off from work because that 3 mm deep hole on my cheek and the 1.5 mm deep donut on my nose kept bleeding through the bandages. To say I regret going to Dr. Rao would be a monumental understatement.

Submitted June 13, 2017

Dr. Jaggi Rao, MD, FRCPC (Dermatology)'s response
Thank you Ben for reaching out. We understand your concerns and are glad that we were able to see you for reassessment after we had learned about this review. We understand that any 1st time experience can be overwhelming and stressful, but we always try to do our best to make our patients feel as comfortable as possible. We apologize that you had felt the way you are describing and we wish you connected with us right away to address this. As for the skin concerns, we would like you to be reassured that everything you are experiencing is due to healing process. We understand that it could be not up to your expectations, but healing takes time and mole removal is a process that can take multiple treatments and several moths to be completed. We always recommend to each patient who undergoes this type of procedure to book a follow up directly with us in 6-8 weeks. This gives us a chance to reassess and provide a treatment if required. Your review appeared on the 6th week post your treatment. This was a time for a follow up. We regret that instead of giving us a chance to help you and to complete our job, you chose to stay silent with us. We are glad we were able to connect with you and to get you back in our care. We are looking forward to see you for our next routine check up in a month. We are confident that you will be happy with the final results. Best regards.

Submitted July 25, 2017

Just want to thank you guys so much for everything that your office has done for me! I started coming there in December after having an awful experience at another office in Edmonton. Your office has been nothing short of amazing. Dr Rao and Kim were amazing during my consult and Sanja has done all 5 of my treatments so far and she makes me feel SO at ease, I breathe a bit easier just seeing her come down the hallway! I love how I feel included in the treatments and how it seems like the whole team gets excited about the results. Not to mention that the results I am getting are absolutely AMAZING. Having had 20+ previous treatments, I am seeing more results in the 5 treatments I've had with the Excel V laser than I saw in ANY of my other treatments and I am so excited about it. So thank you from the bottom of my heart to your whole team, especially Sanja! You guys are all amazing.

flag | Submitted June 5, 2017

Dr. Jaggi Rao, MD, FRCPC (Dermatology)'s response
Thank you Erin. We are glad we were able to help. Thank you for visiting and rating Rao Dermatology Centre. We appreciate your support and are hoping that you had the best experience with us.

Submitted July 24, 2017

I was struggling with skin infections and was waiting to see a dermatologist where I live which was a 6 month wait. I was willing to travel to see someone and contacted Dr. Rao's clinic. Not only did they fit me in within the week. After my appointment I have having some further issues and was able to email personally with Dr. Rao to further get his expertise. I was so impressed by his willingness to help and answer all my questions. He is so helpful, extremely knowledgeable and I would highly recommend him and his wonderful staff. He is truly a physician who cares about his patients.

flag | Submitted May 18, 2017

Dr. Jaggi Rao, MD, FRCPC (Dermatology)'s response
Dear patient, Thank you for your kind feedback. We are glad we were able to help. Thank you for visiting and rating Rao Dermatology Centre. We appreciate your support and are hoping that you had the best experience with us.

Submitted July 24, 2017

I seen this physician for my sons eczema. He was dismissive, rude, cut me off before I could say anything or ask a question. Didn't care about his history and was in a rush to get me out of his office! He wrote a prescription for a medication we already tried and didn't work. He didn't even look at my sons body where his eczema was, said he was just like the 60 other cases he sees per week... even though my son is one 4 different steroid creams at once and bandages for open wounds... but that's "normal"?! Horrible horrible doctor!! I will be sure to tell everyone I know to go elsewhere!

Submitted May 13, 2017

Dr. Jaggi Rao, MD, FRCPC (Dermatology)'s response
Dear patient and our patient's parent, Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are extremely sorry that you are feeling this way. We are confident that this is due to some sort of misunderstanding as this is not usual for our practice. Therefore, we sincerely apologize. We appreciate you bringing this up to our attention and we wish we could address it with you in person. It is unfortunate that you are not giving us a second chance. It hearts our feelings to be called "horrible" when we always strive to do our best to help. We understand that someone else treated your son, but we have not. Every condition takes time, consistency and patience to treat. Familiar prescription does not mean lack of interest or negligence. We are sorry if this was the impression you've got. Patients' trust and loyalty is very important to us. It makes us sad that you are not giving us a fair chance to help your son. Kind Regards, Rao Dermatology.

Submitted May 16, 2017

I completely agree with the many listings which demonstrate the positive experience with Dr. Rao and his team/clinic. They are all professional, kind and very competent. BUT, they are quite busy, so be sure to get all your questions asked or email or call them later if you have more. I'm very happy with my results and would recommend the clinic to anyone desiring honest and capable treatment.

flag | Submitted March 30, 2017

Dr. Jaggi Rao, MD, FRCPC (Dermatology)'s response
Dear Patient, Thank you kindly for your feedback. We appreciate it. Thank you for your kind words and your understanding of our practice and flow. It is important to us. We thank you for choosing us, trusting us, and for your loyalty years ahead. We are glad we were able to help. Warm wishes, Rao Dermatology.

Submitted May 16, 2017

I saw Dr. Rao the first time approx 7 years ago. My skin suddenly accelerated with the aging process and I was devastated. I did have the laser treatment done on my face, though didn't see much of a difference. Dr. Rao was kind, was knowledgeable and told me the straight facts, for which I appreciate, even though I wished to hear a better outcome. I then developed little cysts of some sort on my eyelids. He lasers them off and did not charge me, I believe because he knew I was a single parent at the time. I would recommend this doctor to anyone. Caring and professional.

flag | Submitted March 25, 2017

Dr. Jaggi Rao, MD, FRCPC (Dermatology)'s response
Dear Patient, Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We greatly appreciate it. We are happy we were able to be there for you. Thank you for your patience, trust and loyalty to us. It is true that sometimes treatments do work, but not the same way for everyone. In the majority of the cases, 2-3 treatments are the requirement. We always happy to customize an individual treatment plan to achieve the best results with our clients. Maintenance and an ongoing care is an important part of a daily regiment for everyone's skin. We appreciate your understanding this matter. We are looking forward to see you back for reevaluation and reassessment. Warn regards, Rao Dermatology.

Submitted May 16, 2017

Wonderful doctor and very helpful staff. Was the first time I was there and really enjoyed the experience. Even though it was for a medical reason I went, I felt I was treated with top respect and dedication to my problems. Would definitely recommend to my friends and family.

flag | Submitted March 3, 2017

Dr. Jaggi Rao, MD, FRCPC (Dermatology)'s response
Dear Patient, Thank you for your kind words. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. We are happy we could help. Warm regards, Rao Dermatology Center.

Submitted May 16, 2017

Great doctor, beautiful clinic and kind friendly environment. I would never trade them for anybody else! They treat me like a family. Thank you Dr Rao and your wonderful staff! I'll be back for sure! Definitely recommend them to everyone!

flag | Submitted February 9, 2017

Dr. Jaggi Rao, MD, FRCPC (Dermatology)'s response
Dear Patient, Thank you for your kind words. It is greatly appreciated. We are happy to know that you had a pleasant experience with us. Best regards, Rao Dermatology Team.

Submitted February 10, 2017

Great experience all round at this clinic. Been to several centers where that was not the case. Good atmosphere and professional staff. Doctor was also great, as mentioned many times before. Downside: hard doctor to see...very busy.

flag | Submitted January 29, 2017

Dr. Jaggi Rao, MD, FRCPC (Dermatology)'s response
Dear Patient, Thank you kindly for your feedback. We greatly appreciate it. We are happy that your experience with was pleasant and positive. We are looking forward to seeing you back. Best regards, Rao Dermatology team.

Submitted February 9, 2017

Dr. Jaggi Rao, MD, FRCPC (Dermatology)'s Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Jaggi Rao, MD, FRCPC (Dermatology) Dr. Jaggi Rao is a double board certified dermatologist (Canada and USA) and a certified cosmetic surgeon. He completed his 5 year dermatology training at the University of Alberta, followed by an accredited fellowship with the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery in Southern California. Dr. Rao is a full Clinical Professor of Medicine at the University of Alberta. Dr. Rao has won several accolades for research and teaching, including the Canadian Dermatology Association’s Teacher of the Year Award. In 2011, he was the recipient of Avenue Magazine’s Top 40 under 40 Award. He has authored over 50 scientific papers and textbook chapters, and has been an invited speaker for over 500 lectures worldwide to physicians, other professionals, and the general public. Dr. Rao continues to lend his expertise to various organizations. He sits on the board of directors for CAAM( Canadian Association of Aesthetics Medicine) and acts as a consultant to the government (such as the Canadian Standards Association), laser and pharmaceutical industry, and professional sports teams. He is the creator and visionary behind ConsultDERM™, Canada’s largest teledermatology service, allowing health care providers timely access to assistance for patients with skin-related problems. Due to his well known expertise in laser technologies, he is the co-founder of AMT( Aesthetics Medicine Training Academy of Canada ) which has hosted the only nonbiased comprehensive course in the fundamentals of laser therapy. As he has luminary status in advanced injection techniques ,Dr. Rao is an official trainer of injectables (Botox and fillers). With his talent and passion for dermatology and cosmetic surgery, , Dr. Rao is always ready to provide education, expert advice and top notch patient care.

• English

• Mc Master Univ, Sch Of Med, Hamilton, Ont, Canada (Grad. 1998)
  • University of Alberta

• Hair loss
  • Cystic fibrosis
  • Migraine
  • Moles

• Dr Rao has luminary status in advanced injection techniques ,Dr. Rao is an official trainer of injectables (Botox and fillers).
  • Dr Rao is well known for expertise in laser technologies, he is the co-founder of AMT( Aesthetics Medicine Training Academy of Canada ) which has hosted the only nonbiased comprehensive course in the fundamentals of laser therapy.
  • In 2011, he was the recipient of Avenue Magazine’s Top 40 under 40 Award. He has authored over 50 scientific papers and textbook chapters, and has been an invited speaker for over 500 lectures worldwide to physicians, other professionals, and the general
  • Dr. Rao has won several accolades for research and teaching, including the Canadian Dermatology Association’s Teacher of the Year Award
  • Dr. Rao is a full Clinical Professor of Medicine at the University of Alberta.
  • He sits on the board of directors for CAAM( Canadian Association of Aesthetics Medicine) and acts as a consultant to the government (such as the Canadian Standards Association), laser and pharmaceutical industry, and professional sports teams.
  • He is the creator and visionary behind ConsultDERM™, Canada’s largest teledermatology service, allowing health care providers timely access to assistance for patients with skin-related problems.