Ratings for Dr. Thomas R. Cooney

This guy is AMAZING. Lol he is straight forward and can come off as rude but give him one visit, one badass ex army amazing dentist with a passion for outstanding work. I drove 40 mins from des moines to some hole in a wall town to see him. He did phenomenal work on my teeth between fixing my chipped front tooth to a root canal. His family that runs the place is awesome too. LOVE DR. COONEY

flag | Submitted December 20, 2016

Dr Cooney has a lot of good years of experience! Price is right, your in good hands with Dr and staff. Got an appointment coming up and know he will do a great job. Wouldn't go to anybody else

flag | Submitted July 9, 2015

First and foremost; I do not normally write reviews. However, I seriously do not want my favorite dentist talked about negatively. To me, Dr Cooney is the "Dr House" of dentistry. He is old school, perhaps a bit unorthodox, and by far the best ever. I found his practice by sheer luck in 2007. I needed all of my teeth pulled and to obtain dentures. After having an orthodontist (which shall not be named), twist off the cemented brackets for my braces; each tooth literally rotted from the damaged enamel. Dr Cooney immediately took castings for the dentures I needed. Then he pulled the five teeth causing me pain. The following week he pulled the remainder and placed my perfect fitting dentures right in. He was quick, efficient, and worked with precision that only comes from years of experience. My dentures still fit today. I recommend him to all of my family and friends. Though his bedside manner may not be for those needing babied, he is the best at his trade.

flag | Submitted May 6, 2014

I was not overly impressed with Dr. Cooney or his staff. I was not greeted for over a half an hour (there was no recepetionist at that moment but the doctor and his staff saw me walk in). I had to guess what paperwork needed to be filled out as a new patient without any guidance. I was finally greeted twenty minutes after my appointment was scheduled to begin. I overheard several conversations regarding particular patients, breaking several privacy violations. The hygienist was unpleasant and gave me the overall feeling that she did not want to be there. Dr. Cooney was very slow to finish the appointment as it took two hours for me to get out of there after a simple check up. I was unpleased with the lack of professional attitudes and didn't get a very good feeling overall. I wish I could have gone to a different dentist but he is the only one who accepts Medicaid and new patients... I wonder why?

flag | Submitted August 18, 2011

Dr. Thomas Cooney was amazing. Not only did he explain every facet of the procedure, he told me all about what I could expect with my wisdom teeth before they were extracted. He has amazing chair-side manner, and both he and his staff put me at ease. As someone who had never had this kind of procedure, I was very nervous (getting your wisdom teeth out at 24 might be more nerve wracking than at 16), but they were amazing. I have used other dentists in the past, and I cannot say enough about Thomas Cooney and his staff. They were very professional, knowledgable, and even made me laugh. If you're in Central Iowa, Dr. Thomas Cooney DDS is the way to go. You won't regret it.

flag | Submitted July 28, 2011

I feel very uncomfortable around this dentist. He is extremely blunt while also rude. He has a creepy quietness to him. He seems tempermental. (I have witnessed him getting upset with people on the phone and saying some pretty nasty things while also breaking confidentiality knowing I could hear and then continuing to trash the other client to me once he was off the phone.) So although I think he knows what he's doing practice wise.. he does not uphold professional mannerisms and is not people friendly!

Submitted April 28, 2011

I had lost a filling and cracked a tooth off, Dr. Cooney got me in the office quickly and painlessly gave me a temporary filling until my schedule allowed me to get a crown! Priced right did not over charge. I will go back! He is a great Dentist!

flag | Submitted November 4, 2010

My dentist referred me to him as my insurance did not cover the root canal I needed. Dr. Cooney not only did it for a very reasonable fee, he was very conscientious about my pain level. He kept me distracted from what was going on as I had told him ahead of time that I have a very low pain tolerance level and often pain meds don't work for me. When I needed more meds, he let me have them. He answered all my questions thoroughly and did not talk down to me. I have referred many people to him.

flag | Submitted January 19, 2010

He did a root canal on me, even though there was infection and an abcess and never gave me antibiotics and my jaw got infected and I ended up in the emergency room 3 days later in severe pain that no pain meds could eve consider touching. I spent over 2 hours in his office,he would talk to walk in patients and answer his phone and such while I sat there in an awkward position and in agony, he didn't like it when I asked questions and called me a sissy and said that I made him sick with my fear.

Submitted April 27, 2009