Ratings for Dr. Martin A. Hochstein

Totally arrogant and self-absorbed...referred to the medical records I brought, including lab reports, as garbage...explained he is the expert and immediately lowered my meds which sent me into a slide and refused to listen to complaints..told me to make another appointment and we'd talk...it's all about billing....Run from him he is scary...

flag | Submitted August 8, 2013

I brought my son at age 15 1/2 to see several doctors at a Medical University because he didn't seem to growing. After blood work and bone age x-rays, we were told that he was at his peak height and his bones were about to close. He was in his last stage of puberty and his predicted heigh would be 5'3". The doctors said they could not help him. This was not acceptable to me and I decided to research another Endocrinologist. When I met Dr. Hockstein, we discussed my sons health in detail. After reviewing all of the tests, my sons predicted low height seemed to be more of a reality. But after speaking with Dr. Hockstein several times, he didn't want to stop there, he suggested a treatment with a combination of growth hormones to treat Human Growth Deficiency. Treatment after one year my son has grown 3 1/2 inches! My sons self esteem has improved greatly. Because of Dr. Hockstein's persistence with this case, and his vision he had for my son, showed true compassion in helping people.

flag | Submitted January 7, 2010

VERY ARROGANT! I went to see him when I first started experiencing the following symptoms: hair loss (by the handful!), weight gain and inablility to lose weight, acne, sluggishness, fatigue and much more. After he made me take a variety of blood tests and also made me undress to "check my thyroid", he basically told me there was nothing wrong with me! His comments ranged from "You have more hair than most women" to "You are overweight and should go on OptiFast". Huh? This man knew nothing about my habits. I have been a gym rat for 25 years, plus I eat EXTREMELY healthy. My issues had nothing to do with nutrition and everything to do with what was going on within my body. This guy is extremely scary and listens to nothing you say. I was pretty educated as to what I thought was going on with me and he made sure to tell me HE was the expert and I knew nothing. RUN and don't look back! This guy will only hurt you. I have since found a doctor who actually knows what he's doing.

flag | Submitted October 15, 2009

I read the some of the negative evaluations of Dr Hochstein and needed to respond. Dr Hochstein has saved my life and I feel that he is THE BEST DOCTOR IN THE WORLD. I was told by another endocrinologist in NY that I have a multi-nodular goiter. That doctor did an ultrasound and biopsied it, and told me that I need surgery immediately. I sought a second opinion from Dr Hochsein in NJ. I found Dr Hochstein to be bright and informative. His examination was much more extensive than the previous Dr. He told me it was unnecessary to have another biopsy and instead requested the original slide and personally took it to an expert pathologist. As a result he told me that surgery was unnecessary. He save me from an unnecessary operation, and it also saved me a lot of money. He did a complete physical examination and found that I also had a pituitary problem ( which the other Dr missed!) and I was missing several hormones which he replaced. As a result I feel much better.

flag | Submitted June 24, 2009

I have been a patient of Dr.Hochstein for around two years and would highly recommend him.He treated my thyroid and diagnosed another ailment I was unaware of and his treatment has changed my life for the better. I never wait to see him and his bedside manner is tops in my book,an all around fantastic man.

flag | Submitted June 24, 2009

I was diagnosed and treated by an endocrinologist in N.Y. for hypothyroidism and osteosporosis. My ostesporosis wasnot improving and I felt terrible. My family physician referred me to Dr Hochstein in New Jersey. Dr Hochstein did a complete examination. He really listened to me. He then ran lab tests. As a result he corrected the dose of my thyroid hormone. Since then I have been feeling much better. He also found that I have a severe vitamin D deficiency which was preventing my bones from healing. He has corrected that as well. It was well worth the trip!

flag | Submitted June 21, 2009

He may have bee 'THE' doc to see in his hay-day, but not anymore. The first appointment went well, all because your a cash-cow then - blood test, xray, scans, bonedensity tests, etc. Just to confirm his "hashimoto's" theory (and yes, he made sure to tell me he's published on this topic) and his decision 'not to treat' - even though my numbers well indicated treatment, as did my symptoms, and yes, OptiFast came into play as well. He told me to 'continue on my meds' (I was taking none). He did a biopsy in-office, missed a few times, I was in tears when I left, with a huge bruise on my neck for 2 weeks - he almost diagnosed me as a diabetic - like everyone else in his office at that time. Do not go to him for your thyroid problems - he won't treat it but he'll order tests & DO NOT LET HIM DO BIOPSY ON YOU IN OFFICE - he's very unskilled at this and ITS VERY PAINFUL!

flag | Submitted April 8, 2009

He does his own blood and thyroid scan right there. Saves you a lot of time and anguish. On the down side, he does push antidepressants and gets mad at you if you say you learned something online. Thinks he knows it all and patients are ignorant.

flag | Submitted February 21, 2009

I can't say enough good things about Dr. Hochstein. He made me feel alive again. If it was not for him I would still be walking around with undiagnosed hashimotos and hypothyroidism. He is the only MD that took the time to listen and explained thoroughly about my disease. I love the most that he did not classify everything based on how much you weigh. I can not disagree more with the negative comments that are made about him.

flag | Submitted November 20, 2008

I WAS GOING TO THE DOCTOR FOR ABOUT 3 YEARS AND I FEEL THAT IT WAS 3 YEARS TOO LONG. FROM DAY 1 I FELT I PICKED THE WRONG DOCTOR ONLY BECAUSE HE FOCUSED ON EVERYTHING EXPECT MY THROID. WHATEVER HE FOCUSED ON WAS ALWAYS A LIFE AND DEATH ITEM. WHENEVER I ASKED ABOUT TYHROID RELATED QUESTIONS, HE WOULD JUST LAUGH AND IGNORE MY CONCERNS. HENCE, I NEVER FELT THAT MY CONCERNS WERE PROPERLY ADDRESSED. I ALSO HATED THE SMALL WINDOW OF OPPORTUNITY TO CALL HIM TO GET MY RESULTS. HATED BECAUSE IT WAS LIKE PULLING TEETH TO GET ANY KIND OF RESULTS DUE TO THE FACT YOU ONLY HAVE ABOUT 10-15 MINUTES A DAY TO CALL. EVEN IF YOU CALL DURING THE SPECIFIED TIME YOU GET PUT ON HOLD. STAFF THEN TELLS YOU YOU CALLED TO LATE AND CALL BACK ANOTHER DAY. SINCE I FELT I AS BEING BULLIED AND IGNORED BY SOMEONE WHO I FELT WAS OVERALL UNPROFESSIONAL, I FOUND A NEW DOCTOR THAT ADDRESSES MY CONCERNS IN A MORE PROFESSIONAL MANNER AND EVEN CALLS ME WITH MY RESULTS. THANK GOODNESS FOR OTHER DOCTORS. LOOK ELSWHERE!

flag | Submitted November 14, 2008

Dr. Martin A. Hochstein's Credentials

• University Of Louisville School Of Medicine (Grad. 1969)

Top Hospitals in Paramus, NJ