Ratings for Dr. James Coughlin

Today Dr. Coughlin performed a voiding cystourethrogram on my three year old. This requires catheterization, and although she was mildly sedated it was very painful for her. It is my understanding the purpose of is test is to take pictures of her valves during voiding to determine if reflux from the bladder to the kidney is occurring. It took the nurse two attempts to insert the catheter and then about 30 minutes to fill her bladder while pictures were taken by Dr. Coughlin. When it came time for my daughter to empty her bladder so the voiding pictures could be taken, she was uncomfortable about peeing on the bed (totally understandable for a three year old) and it took some time. Dr. Coughlin got up to leave without getting the final pictures, and when I asked him to be patient and to make sure we got the voiding pictures we needed he seemed very put off by my questioning him. Then when my daughter finally peed about 10 minutes later he had left the room and missed taking the images.

flag | Submitted December 17, 2013