Ratings for Dr. Helena R. Chang

Dr Chang is an excellent skilled. doctor. I found her to be very caring and knowledgeable. She takes time to explain procedures, answer questions, and address all my concerns. I have always had confidence in her decisions, and am truly grateful to have her as my doctor.

flag | Submitted August 13, 2017

Dr Chang was extremely helpful to me. I had to wait hours to see her, but in the end each visit was worth the time. I think she works by the job and not the clock. She took her time with me and answered all of my questions. She would have taken as much time as I needed. She shared research, personal experience, and helped me with a very hard decision. I found her to be warm and caring and I really liked her. Some of the comments about her bed side manner are odd to me, I don't see her as anything but kind and patient. May be they are cultural misunderstandings? Lastly, my surgery went as expected. She was the third surgeon I had seen, I absolutely without question felt best with her and although we do not live near LA, I am glad to have seen her and had tmt at UCLA. Hospital experience was kind, supportive, and top notch. I have no complaints and would refer my loved ones to her.

flag | Submitted June 20, 2016

Dr. Chang is an excellent surgeon, she's very good at what she does, she explains everything and you'll have a hard time finding a better Dr. That said, she's extremely busy, she makes time for all patients but she consistently runs late. Dr Chang performed a double mastectomy on my sister, her work was outstanding and she tries to save as much breast as possible so the reconstruction surgeon has the most options available. There are some doctors who cut without thought of reconstruction which makes getting through the process much more difficult.

flag | Submitted February 23, 2015

Carrie just celebrated 5 yrs being cancer free - we're so grateful to Dr. Chang who treated her from the get go. Altho' Rick was always there for all her exams, anyone else could join to take notes, ask questions, etc. Dr. Chang never hurried us or discounted a single question. She was professional & factual. We didn't want her to "fluff our bloomers". Our family has always used humor to reduce stress levels - she quickly fit into our humor groove. We were convinced she looked forward to our group appointments. She gave Carrie the best treatment, and provided excellent surgery for the best possible results - our Carrie is proof positive that Dr. Chang was the right choice. Dr. Chang has treated literally thousands - these few negative ratings represent such a minute percentage. You can rest assure she will provide you with the best possible treatment for the best possible results. Support the annual UCLA Revlon Run/Walk - Dr. Chang leads the entire group - smiling all the way!

flag | Submitted February 13, 2014

Very non-communicative. Sloppy - did not even read my pathology report from prior biopsy with her. Wanted to cut first and ask questions later for benign condition. Did not accurately share outcome of prior surgery. Was ready to do unnecessary surgery (again). You can be famous and credentialed and do harm. I know that now.

flag | Submitted May 16, 2012

Very simply, find another surgeon. I am still dealing with complications from what should have been a simple biopsy. Wish I could have seen these posts prior to my surgery.

flag | Submitted December 23, 2009

I had a very bad outcome from my surgery that I am still dealing with. Wish I had seen this site before my operation.

flag | Submitted December 7, 2009

I am distressed to read the posts from others who were unhappy with the care they received from Dr. Chang. My experience was quite different. I am a breast cancer patient who came to Dr. Chang after receiving a mastectomy at another hospital from a surgeon who refused (!) to give me a prophylactic mastectomy on the unaffected side as I requested. Although it was obvious she was very busy that day, Dr. Chang listened and understood. Fifteen months after my first mastectomy, she performed my second mastectomy. My surgery was at Christmas time, and she called with the results of the pathology report and was lovely on the phone, chatting about her kids and holiday plans. I have chosen to be seen by her for regular follow-up care for my cancer from now on. I'm aware that Dr. Chang was not involved in my initial treatment, and that is a major difference between my interaction with Dr. Chang and that of the other posters. However,it is also apparent that unhappy patients post more often.

flag | Submitted March 5, 2009

Dr Chang delayed my treatment and choose lumpectomy and resection of lumpectomy knowing the margins were unacceptable. !mm, the accepted is 10mm. I was no given a CT or PET or MRI. I was given a stage 2 dx without imaging. I went for a second opinion 6 months later after delays in surgury , radiation, chem and I now have stage 4 breast cancer mets to liver and bone. She is dangerouse as is all of UCLA.

flag | Submitted January 19, 2009

She is bright, however we decided not to become patients of hers. We decided to go with a more communicative doctor who cared about her patients- which Dr. Chang seemed not to. Besides if you have to be sick, don't ever do it at UCLA!!

flag | Submitted March 1, 2007

Dr. Helena R. Chang's Credentials

• Temple University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1981)

First Health Network