Ratings for Dr. Calvin Lee

Casual is what I like and he diagnosed my issue readily. I would recommend him to anyone. Even looked up-to-date toxicity and medical reports about my medication! Truly a good doctor that cares. Reminder: Not all doctors make the right calls, every doctor makes mistakes and always go get a second opinion if you don't agree with the diagnosis.

flag | Submitted May 3, 2016

I saw him for dermatological issues and he ended up offering me counseling that I did not expect and certainly did not want. He also asked me very personal questions (relationship status included) which was totally irrelevant to the issue- of course it was not as if I need to tell the truth either. so awkward and strange....

flag | Submitted October 29, 2015

I though he was a good doctor until he started to give me "counselling" for my depression and anxiety problems, which he certainly is not qualified for. He gave me the same kind of "advice" basically, for a half hour, that an old-fashioned ignorant would give you, without even asking about the details of my problems. He made very unprofessional, personal comments about what he "thought" of my situation. Absolutely terrible. I left his office devastated.

flag | Submitted October 18, 2015

I felt ignored and intimidated. I was made fearful about a simple procedure which won't have bothered as much, until I went up to the point of aggravation which was very easily handled by another physician, it would have been better if could have rather been helpful instead of scaring me.

flag | Submitted July 29, 2015

Dr Lee is a great, attentive doctor. He showed me new perspectives on my issues, which have been invaluable.

flag | Submitted April 8, 2015

Dr.Lee was my doctor at SFU for 4 years. I felt he ignored my concerns and did not make the effort to find out what was actually wrong. I was always told to "come back in a few weeks" if my symptoms persisted. He also told me to lose weight because of my persistent back, stomach, and energy problems. A few months after switching to a new doctor I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. The tumor was the size of a cantaloupe, and was caught just before it spread to my lymph nodes, in which case I would have died. If I had stayed with Dr. Lee, who failed to investigate my complaints or take me seriously, I am sure the cancer would not have been caught until it was too late. After a complex procedure involving the removal of my tumor as well as several of my digestive organs I certainly have "lost weight", as Dr. Lee had suggested. His casual and dismissive attitude toward my medical concerns was dangerous and unprofessional.

flag | Submitted December 27, 2014

Dr. Lee has been my doctor for probably the last 15 or more years. I like what people here are calling his "casual style" because I find that this is how Dr. Lee and I engage as partners in my healthcare. When I asked Dr. Lee about diet pills, he put me on the scale and showed me my body index was normal and we discussed upping my exercise. I appreciated this common sense advice. Another time, I asked to be referred to a Dr. of Physical and Rehab Medicine and at first Dr. Lee hesitated but when I said I really thought it might be helpful, he readily made the referral for me (and it was helpful). When I found myself in an incredibly stressful work situation, Dr. Lee supported me through it with kindness and resolve - he was amazing! I feel enormously blessed to have Dr. Lee and my family doctor and I would always recommend him highly.

flag | Submitted March 17, 2014

Do not see this doctor if you want help with any dermatological issues. He does not take them seriously. Not helpful at all.

flag | Submitted May 28, 2013

Best doctor ever at SFU clinic! He was VERY thorough when diagnosing. Not only did he show me all the possibilities, but he also showed how he got to his diagnosis. Never have I got a doctor so thorough and willing to spend the time, that he even printed out info sheets for me to read more. I highly recommend and extremely grateful that he was so caring towards me. I've seen many doctors during my undergraduate studies at both UBC/SFU and I have to say that Dr. Lee was absolutely the best, and stuck out the most in my memories. Although I have now graduated I am very happy to learn that I can still go to the Harbour Centre clinic where Dr. Lee works at. I hope that he stays there for a really long time. I don't know why people say he's too casual, but I felt he was very professional with the way he dealt with me and his diagnosis. Once again - highly recommend!

flag | Submitted December 18, 2012

I've been seeing Calvin for about 5 years. As a GP he is exceptional. He takes the time to know the health system well and knows what out patient programs the health authority has available for preventative health (such as diabetes prevention or dietitian support for heart-smart diet changes). He is also up to date on the latest evidence-based practice rather than relying on old stand-by rules of thumb.

flag | Submitted January 25, 2012