Ratings for Dr. Jeffrey Barber

When I first saw Dr. Barber I was disappointed but only because I didn't know the difference between a therapist and a psychiatrist, and so I had expectations for how I wanted it to go. Once I realized that psychiatrists are biological/medical specialists and I knew what to expect I was incredibly happy with Dr. Barber. He was very patient and willing to take the time to answer all of my questions and make sure I understood his answers, and he was willing to work with me to find a way forward that we could both be happy with. I really got the sense that he wanted to help. He's probably not the person to go to if you want to work through your issues without medication, but if you're at the point that you think you might need that extra help, he's the person to talk to.

flag | Submitted September 14, 2018

At first I was let down by his diagnosis (can not edit poor review) but now I’ve accepted his observations, and know them to be true. He’s been very helpful in my understanding of the mental issues I struggle with. Sugar coating helps no one.

flag | Submitted September 7, 2018

dont waste your time, talk to a friend , get better advice

flag | Submitted September 4, 2017

I saw Dr. Barber several years ago after suide attempt, and left his office feeling more depressed and worthless. If I could give a rating for helpfulness a zero, I would of. I am happy to say that I came out my depression without help of Dr. Barber or the pills he wanted to give me. He is the most emotionally constipated doctor that I ever gone to.

flag | Submitted August 17, 2017

There are some people out there who expect a psychiatrist to be a miracle worker. Mental illness isn't necessarily something you can 'cure.' It is an on-going ailment, and its nice to know there are doctors like Dr. Barber out there falsely telling patients that they can be 100 percent cured. . He can help lessen symptoms. He can listen, and diagnose, and, offer suggestions. He's not there to be your best friend. That isn't his job! I've seen him for many years now. He has a great, dry sense of humour, and I appreciate his candour. He's helped me a lot.

flag | Submitted June 29, 2017

Does not suggest, recommend or encourage any therapy other than pharmaceuticals. Paints a bleak picture of the diagnosis given, offering no hope of recovery or possibility of improvements.

flag | Submitted May 5, 2017

Ignorant, over reaching for his role, robotic, seems like he has Asperger Syndrome, arrogant and rude. He seems to have little insight to just how appaling his bed side manner is, unempathetic and stiff. Makes sweeping judgements on little info, typical pathologizer, male medical model ignoramus.

flag | Submitted May 2, 2017

Dr. Barber is an excellent doctor. Before my first appointment, I , as well as many other people do, got curious and wanted to get a sense of his credibility through rateMds. I was intimidated, all the recent posts were of bad experiences and I was afraid I was going to feel best down and offended at my first appointment. I've been a client for awhile now, and I have had the opposite experience of most experiences shared here. He may not be suitable for maybe individuals with certain types of personalities, but he seems to be a suitable doctor for me. He's not the type of person to sweeten the situation or support something you believe in which he is well experienced in the negative outcomes that may follow it. He's very black and white. Once I appreciate that side of him, I began to appreciate everything that he would provide in information and knowledge at my appointments. I always have questions that need to be answered, and throughout my life I've learned that some physicians may find that offensive. He has always been able to provide back a knowledgable foundation in his field of work. This has been my experience so far. I think the important point I wanted to make here (I never bother, ever, to write reviews, I usually just want to see that they are close to a 5 star rating) is don't feel discouraged from reading online reviews before getting to know your specialist. There may be many bad experiences (that's usually what prompts most people to write a review) but there are also other people who have had positive experiences

flag | Submitted March 12, 2017

Dr. Barber was unbelievably hurtful . And I left his office bawling. And I wasn't even really there for psychiatric treatment so much as a consult for my rhumatologist. He told me my personality was like a cancer that can't be treated and no amount of therapy or medication could help me. Who says that to a person?! As far as I'm concerned he's dangerous to people with major mental illness. If I was suicidal I probably would have tried to make a go of it yesterday. I'm grateful I went to the appointment with my best friend and that I'm not even closer to that head space where I could hurt myself

flag | Submitted February 2, 2017

I'm shocked by the negative responses for Dr. Barber. I've been a patient of his for many years, and he saved my life. He is a caring, thoughtful doctor with a broad scope of knowledge in psychiatric conditions. I respect him immensely, and value his honesty, and experience.

flag | Submitted January 31, 2017