Ratings for Dr. Jeffrey Barber

dont waste your time, talk to a friend , get better advice

flag | Submitted September 4, 2017

I saw Dr. Barber several years ago after suide attempt, and left his office feeling more depressed and worthless. If I could give a rating for helpfulness a zero, I would of. I am happy to say that I came out my depression without help of Dr. Barber or the pills he wanted to give me. He is the most emotionally constipated doctor that I ever gone to.

flag | Submitted August 17, 2017

There are some people out there who expect a psychiatrist to be a miracle worker. Mental illness isn't necessarily something you can 'cure.' It is an on-going ailment, and its nice to know there are doctors like Dr. Barber out there falsely telling patients that they can be 100 percent cured. . He can help lessen symptoms. He can listen, and diagnose, and, offer suggestions. He's not there to be your best friend. That isn't his job! I've seen him for many years now. He has a great, dry sense of humour, and I appreciate his candour. He's helped me a lot.

flag | Submitted June 29, 2017

Does not suggest, recommend or encourage any therapy other than pharmaceuticals. Paints a bleak picture of the diagnosis given, offering no hope of recovery or possibility of improvements.

flag | Submitted May 5, 2017

Ignorant, over reaching for his role, robotic, seems like he has Asperger Syndrome, arrogant and rude. He seems to have little insight to just how appaling his bed side manner is, unempathetic and stiff. Makes sweeping judgements on little info, typical pathologizer, male medical model ignoramus.

flag | Submitted May 2, 2017

Dr. Barber is an excellent doctor. Before my first appointment, I , as well as many other people do, got curious and wanted to get a sense of his credibility through rateMds. I was intimidated, all the recent posts were of bad experiences and I was afraid I was going to feel best down and offended at my first appointment. I've been a client for awhile now, and I have had the opposite experience of most experiences shared here. He may not be suitable for maybe individuals with certain types of personalities, but he seems to be a suitable doctor for me. He's not the type of person to sweeten the situation or support something you believe in which he is well experienced in the negative outcomes that may follow it. He's very black and white. Once I appreciate that side of him, I began to appreciate everything that he would provide in information and knowledge at my appointments. I always have questions that need to be answered, and throughout my life I've learned that some physicians may find that offensive. He has always been able to provide back a knowledgable foundation in his field of work. This has been my experience so far. I think the important point I wanted to make here (I never bother, ever, to write reviews, I usually just want to see that they are close to a 5 star rating) is don't feel discouraged from reading online reviews before getting to know your specialist. There may be many bad experiences (that's usually what prompts most people to write a review) but there are also other people who have had positive experiences

flag | Submitted March 12, 2017

Dr. Barber was unbelievably hurtful . And I left his office bawling. And I wasn't even really there for psychiatric treatment so much as a consult for my rhumatologist. He told me my personality was like a cancer that can't be treated and no amount of therapy or medication could help me. Who says that to a person?! As far as I'm concerned he's dangerous to people with major mental illness. If I was suicidal I probably would have tried to make a go of it yesterday. I'm grateful I went to the appointment with my best friend and that I'm not even closer to that head space where I could hurt myself

flag | Submitted February 2, 2017

I'm shocked by the negative responses for Dr. Barber. I've been a patient of his for many years, and he saved my life. He is a caring, thoughtful doctor with a broad scope of knowledge in psychiatric conditions. I respect him immensely, and value his honesty, and experience.

flag | Submitted January 31, 2017

My experience with Dr. Barber has so far been more negative than anything else. I agree with these comments made by others: -made minimal effort to get to know me as a person, -not much empathy, -frequently interrupted me when I tried to ask a question or say anything, -did not seem to take my personal concerns about medication side effects seriously at all, -said the fact that I had recently experienced some major personal losses (deaths in my family) was not relevant, -made other harsh remarks that are too personal to share here, -compared to the 2 other psychiatrists I have seen in my life (both positive experiences) this is the only time I felt that a Dr. disliked me or did not see me as a human being, -after several visits to see him I feel worse about myself than I have for many years.

flag | Submitted July 4, 2016

What kind of a psychiatrist is a physician who specializes in psychiatry—A psychiatrist specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of mental disorders. >https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychiatrist < asks his patients what is best for them when they have no clue??? Ummmm…yeppers, that’s Dr. Jeffrey Barber. Yet Dr.Barber was excellent in filling out the required documentation needed for assistance (government recourse for payment) to relieved extremely high anxiety, he seemed indecisive and inclusive as what was best for the prescriptions and dosage. His repetitive saying, "Accept what you have and your limitations. You have what you have (high anxiety) and there is nothing to do to resolve the condition.” NOT a solution nor a step to re-alleviate any condition relating to high anxiety, depression, and PTSD. AND no idea as the type or dosage of medication was to benefit the condition. VERY DEPRESSING! The SECRETARY – Well, this is a HUGE wake-up response call to all patients!!! She appears mild and well mannered…until you call her and require an alternative appointment. She is belligerent and terribly cold. She has zero empathy in her bones. Her main vocabulary to your needed call is: • “NO!” • “No, I can NOT help you!” • “No, Dr. Barber does NOT take phone calls.” • “No, phone consultation is NOT allowed.” • “Listen______(NAME) I am not here to re-solve your problems…that’s for you to figure out.” • “No, there are NO appointments for the entire month.” • “I’m not here to figure out your problems…this is something you need to resolve.” I had just lost my father. I had a deadline for my documentation (one page) to be filled out by Dr. Barber. A deadline. I was three provinces away, attempting to work out the descent life (my mother) life while grieving…. Even after I told Dr.Barber’s secretary that I just buried my father…and am resolving a Will three provinces away and could NOT make the next day appointment and MUCH NEEDED documentations filled by a certain date…this was her response: • “You expect me to figure out your problems?” She cancelled my next day appointment with the promise that there was NO guarantee that the one page documentation (due in 30 days) would be submitted for MY INCOME. So how do I feel… How would you feel???

flag | Submitted November 17, 2015