Ratings for Dr. Shirley Van der Merwe

Dr. Van derMerwe is a good doctor. She's very thorough. I feel so fortunate to have her as our family doctor.

flag | Submitted August 24, 2017

First Diane her MOA is fabulous! When I called for an appointment I was told I could get in in 6 weeks- perhaps my issue could be dealt with at a walkin? I agreed, and went to a walkin. Later I received a letter essentially dumping me as a patient for having the gall to go to a walkin! If she doesn't appreciate her patients going to walk-ins, she should stop suggesting it when her wait times for an appointment are weeks in advance!

flag | Submitted March 8, 2017

I was also a patient of Dr. Somerville's before he moved away and when Dr. van der Merwe initially took over wait times were minimum of three weeks. This has now changed and the average wait time for an appointment is 3-4 days for a regular appointment. If I call and am ill they find ways to get me in sooner. The front desk staff are very kind and helpful and I feel like they all genuinely care about the patients. I am very grateful to have a family doctor who has taken baseline tests, asked about my health habits without prompting and isn't interested in just prescribing drugs and pushing you out the door. She works on prevention and I find her approach very collaborative. Great family doctor!

flag | Submitted August 14, 2015

Dr Van der Merwe and the reception have been very professional and helpful. The doctor has an easy manner and I find she is very helpful and understanding.

flag | Submitted April 15, 2015

As much as I miss Dr. Sommerville after 15 years as our family doctor, I am always treated with kindness from front office. I am so thankful for having one! Indeed only 1 or 2 questions can only be answered at a time, she is after all only human and has many patients to see. She might only work 3 days here but I am sure she has left behind many patients from the Clearwater area. Having patience is a virture.

flag | Submitted April 10, 2015

I also find the previous comments offensive. I was a little concerned when my doctor moved away and Dr Van der Merwe took over his practice. I feel I have been truly blessed that Dr van der Merwe accepted my family as patients. I find her to be very compassionate and knowledgeable. Her MOA has been nothing but professional with me. I also find that she makes me smile (calms me down) before I see the doctor.

flag | Submitted November 17, 2014

I have been going to the office for 15 years and dealing with MOS who I find to be very professional and friendly and cares deeply about her patients. I think the person at the front desk sets the tone for the office and find the comment below offensive and totaly untrue ... I guess when you deal with difficult people it is always hard to come off as caring.

flag | Submitted November 17, 2014

Receptionist is rude and uninterested in helping clients. Like to chat on phone with daughter and with other staff in the clinic. Poor telephone manners. Doctor is almost always an houor late if not more. Only works 3 days out of the week. You wait over an hour to see her and she maybe gives you 5 minutes of her time even though she just wasted the last hour of yours. Tells you to book another appointment because you have too many questions etc. Wait time for an appointment im my experience has been 3 weeks plus. I think she wants you to make multiple visits to her office so she can bill several times and make more money - but thats just my opinon. She bumped my husband off her case load because he wasn't "sick enough". She has lost or forgotten to send in referals to specialists so I have had to make several visits to see her just to get a piece of paper faxed. All in all you might as well wait for hours in emergency or at a walkin clinic because I think you wou,ld be better off

flag | Submitted July 30, 2014

Late by an hour and a half then sent me away saying I didn't book a long enough appointment for necessary tests. Rebooked an appointment for a month and a half later and left her office in tears and went to the walk-in clinic. Since then have gotten all tests and seen 2 specialists. Absolutely horrible experience. Will not be returning to her!!! Much rather wait at a clinic. Unhelpful doesn't even begin to describe what this doctor was!

flag | Submitted May 6, 2014