Ratings for Dr. Carl Van Heerden

Dr Carle van Heerden is treating my husband with his acoustic neuroma. Our experience with him has been wonderful.

flag | Submitted December 6, 2017

He misdiagnosed my mom with Tolosa Hunt Syndrome when she in fact had terminal brain cancer!!!!! He put her on extremely high doses of corticosteroids, my mom deteriorated rapidly after starting with the medication, to the point that she was completely bedridden, unable to sit unaided, could not stand or walk and was losing weight by the day. I was very concerned and called him many times, he never spoke to me directly and I had to communicate through his staff who were always irritated by my calls and were quite rude and offish. I was always told via his staff that all my moms symptoms were normal and she would return to normal after the course of treatment was complete. I reluctantly continued with the corticosteroids and took her for an MRI when she had completed the course of treatment and was told by another doctor who looked at the MRI that my mom's condition was in fact terminal and that there was nothing they could do for her, I was told to get Hospice involved. My mom passed away 6 weeks later!! To date I have not received a phone call, an apology or explanation of any kind.

flag | Submitted August 19, 2017

So grateful he would not rush into surgery and explored other options in consultation with his peers. My severe back injury after a vehicle accident resulted in my weasring a back brace for 4 months.. but i am now completly well.. thank you Dr van Heerden

flag | Submitted April 14, 2017

He is looked after my back for over 10 years. Prefers conservative treatment and has avoided surgery Performrd a nerve block in my back with spectacular results. before i was dizzy, unstable, could not move yet his nerve block did it the job. He has always made himself available if i am suddenly in pain and always acted quickly, even out of hours when required and sympathetically. Non abetter in my book. So kind and gentle.

flag | Submitted March 6, 2016