Ratings for Dr. Joseph F. Leonard

My experience with Dr. Leonard has been vey postive. He is understanding,knowlegeable and an awesome doctor. His staff is good at returning phone calls,scheduling and adressing any needs you might have. I haven't had another family doctor for years, but am happy I found him.

flag | Submitted May 31, 2011

Dr. Leonard should give up practicing and stick to the business end of his HMO (of which I believe he's the CEO)...To me he is a callous, rude, fliipant, know-it-all physician, with zero empathy for his patient's feelings. The HMO inhouse lab originally mis-diagnosed my urine sample, while another member of his office staff lied about mailing me test results; and finally, another member of his HMO staff neglected to handle a "specialist referral" request in a timely manner, then lied about it when confronted.. I'M NEVER GOING BACK THERE!

flag | Submitted August 4, 2010

Dr. Leonard was recommended to me by my previous doctor, since he didn't take my insurance any more. I felt like he heard and noted on the computer symptoms, but was fairly quick to prescribe pills/medicine without more tests, research or digging. I would like a doctor who is also much more open to alternative medicines in conjunction with Western medicine. I felt that he dismissed these for me in my fibromyalgia. His staff was always friendly and helpful. The wait time, comparatively, was average and no complaints there.

flag | Submitted July 30, 2010

My care has been nearly all with Grossmont Family Medical Group, and Dr. Leonard. I have never in my encounters with him found him to be rude or uncaring or unwilling to discuss your medical problem. I'm baffled by the less generous comments. Of all of my visitations, I believe one time, my impression was that he was speaking to me on auto-pilot, and I had those general blahs, and that a medical visit maybe was not needed. I remember leaving that visit feeling a little let down, but on further reflection, I gave him the benefit of just maybe he was having a bad day too, and my problem was not really a problem. My problem was solved with a little more time. On one other visit, I had a lung congestion, and it took me 4 visits to get the right Rx. This was the one time I thought I was put to a lot of expense, when maybe a better diagnosis could have been made. But overall with the numerous visits I have had, the care has been exceptional, and I would recommend this fine doctor to anyone.

flag | Submitted September 23, 2009

My husband was in a very bad car accident. He was run off the road by a semi. He was in alot of pain. In as long as I have known him he has never cried and this time he did. Dr. Leonard told him flat out to DEAL WITH IT. He prescribed a medication (naproxin) that my husband had told him several times he could not take due to stomach irritation. He definitely has poor bedside manner and just a general uncaring attitude. My husband still had pain associated with the accident from time to time. Just a very frustrating experience.

flag | Submitted May 21, 2008

Dr. Leonard was my doctor for years before I had moved to a different county. In all my 52 years of having numerous doctors and working with doctors in my career I have never met and was cared for by such an outstanding doctor. He is very caring and always went one step further for your medical care. Dr. Leonard was not just a wonderful doctor to my family and myself he became a confindent where in his care I felt comfortable in relating what was going on with me medically with no hesitation what so ever. Dr. Leonard was awesome about your test results and assuring you about his continued care for you. I felt very saddened to leave his practice. The medical office is indeed always busy and wasn't always quick in getting an appointment..but it was worth waiting to get the best.not just in La Mesa Ca. but all the US. Thank-you Dr. Joseph Leonard for it all...Donna Vasi (Trabert)

flag | Submitted January 21, 2008

Great doctor. Doesn't beat around the bush. Very busy practice. Has called me at 9pm to update me on my test results. Would recommend to anyone.

flag | Submitted November 27, 2007

Very nicce doctor and very knowledgable. Shows a lot of concern for his patients, even has called me in the evening just to let me know of my result or will mail them within days. Very hard to schedule an appointment because you have to wait for them to return your call AFTER you leave a voicemail, however, staff is super friendly.

flag | Submitted September 8, 2007

lazy, doesnt know what about medicine. subscribed me the wrong subscription because he was too lazy to check my urine sample to figure out the real problem. and he's rude.

flag | Submitted May 23, 2007

Poor bed side manner. God Complex

flag | Submitted October 13, 2006

Dr. Joseph F. Leonard's Credentials

• Univ Of Southern Ca Sch Of Med, Los Angeles Ca 90033 (Grad. 1976)

MAMSI