Dr. Michael L. Smitherman

Ratings for Dr. Michael L. Smitherman

I had been going to him for arthritis. 2 years ago i started getting worse and having new symptoms. He said they were all unrelated and my severe fatigue was because i was not getting enough sleep. He advised me to take Ambien more often. I finally went to another rheumatologist and was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. He gave me a brochure that sited all the symptoms i was having. I've considered taking it to doctor Smitherman since he obviously does not know this.

flag | Submitted February 6, 2017

He was a blessing from God. At first he seemed like a cold person. But he listened to me, believed in what I said and ordered the right tests. I wish I could give him the best gift. I am so grateful for his treatment. I am 100% better. F

flag | Submitted January 8, 2017

Not compassionate, not empathetic, not a good listener and I did not feel he had even the slightest grasp of how I was feeling and what my symptoms were before he started pushing medications on me....muscle relaxers, Lyrica, etc that I was not comfortable taking without fully understanding what exactly they would do for my symptoms. He never explained to me what fibromyalgia even is, how it works and why these medications would be best to take. He did not have a long term game plan on how to make me feel better...just kept adding meds. I left his office in tears after he told me, "I can't help you unless you take this medication." I responded that I wasn't comfortable taking it, to which he responded, "then you can see a psychiatrist or would you rather sit here at talk to me for 30 minutes?" WHAT?!!? I will NEVER go back to see this doctor and would NEVER recommend him to another human being.

flag | Submitted January 22, 2016

Been seeing Smitherman for many years. Addresses all my questions, suggests medications for pain relief, always direct and polite, never rushes. Has excellent listening skills. Always feel I can reach him. An excellent doctor in all ways. We are fortunate to have him in our area. Highly recommend.

flag | Submitted August 3, 2015

Can I give zero stars? Wife left office in tears. Rude, condescending, and unhelpful. Despite X-rays showing degenerative arthritis his dismissive approach was to prescribe a controversial weight loss drug with FDA red label warnings for heart attack/ stroke to someone with high blood pressure and a family history of heart attack/stroke. He did not read patient history, did not listen during exam and basically said take this new off-label weight loss drug or I can 'write you a prescription for Naproxin' (which is an OTC medication). He then implied that my wife was imagining the arthritis pain and treated her as if she was seeking pain meds, and said repeatedly that the pain that makes my wife nearly unable to walk is due to obesity. I am calling my general practitioner who referred us to this guy and am going to let him know never to refer anyone else.

flag | Submitted July 27, 2015

You can tell how the doctor relationship will go when you have a first appointment, get ushered into the exam room, and then have to wait over 30 minutes. In my case I left, and won't return. What a terrible first impression he established.

flag | Submitted August 4, 2014

I love Dr.smitherman. He diagnosed me when no one else could and has never been rude. He actually is so intelligent and nice and social! I have no clue why anyone would say different.

flag | Submitted September 23, 2012

very uncaring personality. Short, clipped answers. Had me on toxic medication for 4 years for a condition I did not have. Resulted in a complete hip replacement. Find another Dr. folks!

flag | Submitted June 25, 2012

I have been seeing Dr. Smitherman for ten years and have never been treated rudely. He is very knowledgeable about my problems and has given me meds that work. He even changes my meds according to my wishes and pain levels. His staff is not the best, but he is a good doctor.

flag | Submitted January 5, 2011

I don't typically give reviews but after reading some of these, I thought I would give my 2 cents. I found Dr. Smitherman very helpful. He was on time for my visit and was able to answer my questions in a way I could understand. I felt comfortable with both him and his employees. He was also the first doctor to ever call me back personally with lab results to discuss my treatment plan.

flag | Submitted October 26, 2010

Dr. Michael L. Smitherman's Credentials

• University Of Alabama School Of Medicine (Grad. 1995)

AHC