You may also like

Ratings for Dr. Charles Scudamore

Dr. Scudamore took the time to give me a lot of information regarding my current health status that others had not taken the time to do. Virus free after having Hep C for 30 years. In 20 minutes, Dr. Scudamore diagnosed a current issue I had struggled with for the past 18 months, several Dr's, constant pain and told it was it was in my head. He was able to do this because he took the time to listen to what I said. I thank Dr. Scudamore and it was a pleasure meeting him

flag | Submitted December 24, 2015

Dr. Scudamore cared for my mom when she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer over 2 years ago. Unfortunately they did not figure out it was unresectable until after they were in there operating. I appreciate his skill and directness in communicating this to me. He got right to the point and in hindsight I am glad... I had to tell my family like it was, and no beating around the bush or false hope. He is an extremely skilled surgeon, and she made a full recovery with no complications despite being a very difficult patient (weak, poor nutrition, diabetic, grumpy) and it being a very difficult procedure (had to bypass the tumor as it was unresectable- so she could continue to eat... it was over 4cm in size, had invaded the stomach, dudoenum, and around vena cava). I doubt there are many surgeons who could have done this. It was an extremely long surgery- probably 4 or 5 hours long. The surgical residents on service were all fantastic and doing their best despite long hours. You didn't see Dr. Scudamore very often in hospital because he is spending his precious time operating on people and saving their lives, or at least making their remaining time more bearable/ comfortable. When you go to a teaching hospital, you are being looked after by residents who do most of the work, they round very early in the morning and do a great job- addressed my concerns, even set up physio and palliative home care for her despite it being the world's fastest discharge! We followed up a few times, my mom loved Dr. Scudamore (even though she didn't speak much English, she understood him). He is not a man of many words, but you can tell he is truly compassionate and cares a great deal. His medical office assistant was fantastic...such a nice lady, great about calling us back, always patient despite ++ busy office. Even if he is late with appointments we appreciate he is looking after the sickest patients. After my mom was back in hospital towards the end of her life, he saw her (she was palliative at this point) within a day or two of her being admitted and put in a stent so that her food pipe was at least open, so she could have sips of water and food in her last days, and it gave her alot of comfort. We are super grateful for the excellent care received. Thank you Dr. Scudamore and team for being so great.

flag | Submitted December 11, 2015

He is right to th e point. Appreciate it. Helps him to see more patients who also are desperate to get an appointment with him. I am alive today because of my donors family and Dr Scudamore and his team. I'd take his briefness any day for his knowledge surgical skills and teaching skills to other doctors. A patient is very fortunate to be able to see him at all. He is in one of the hospitals in the am.......pm. You'd find out if you are in the hospital yourself.. Morning to night. Thankyou.

flag | Submitted May 5, 2015

During my second ERCP with Dr. Scudamore I woke up during the procedure. I continue have searing pain in my back and all my leg arms ribs neck muscles have been injured due to being forced down on the operating table. My second surgery is March 20 and I continue have constant pain in my back where the surgical implement moved when I try to wake up. I'm prescribed gabapentin to dull this constant pain. After the procedure I had another surgeon come up to prescribe something for the pain. Four surgeries over 12 days this was the worst pain in my life. 12 out 10 on the pain scale. Pain lasted the six hours and morphine had no effect until I was prescribed gabapentin. I think Dr. Skudamore should I had listened to his assistant when she said give him 300 and he said no give him 150. I also could hear him tell me during operation hold on only a few more minutes as I got the burning pain in my back.I could feel the implement moving inside of me. I am very upset after reading my surgical operation note. It states, The patient tolerated this procedure well. His surgery has gone very technically well and the patient has recovered without incident. Not factual in my opinion and mitigating the issue of me waking up during the surgery is not helping with my recovery.

flag | Submitted April 3, 2015

Best surgeon in BC for any liver or pancreatic problem - especially cancer.

flag | Submitted March 31, 2015

Dr. Scudamore has little bedside manner, but he makes up for it with his knowledge & skill. If you have serious questions, write them down so you don't forget them. He did surgery on my sister who had stage 4 pancreas cancer which had spread to her liver. She had been ignored by her GP after many complaints & had been given Ranitadine for her stomach pain. She was unable to change doctors as she lived in a mental health boarding home. Dr. Scudamore gave her 2 1/2 more years with her family. I believe he is short with patients, because he is busy saving lives.

flag | Submitted March 4, 2015

Thank goodness for Dr. Scudamore! Was finally able to end 5 years of tests and journeys to different specialists for my special needs daughter. He was direct, thorough and knowledgeable. He helped us get a plan in place, described the surgery in details we could understand and got it done in a timely manner. We can also not say enough about the office receptionist. She was incredibly helpful with anything we needed or asked for :) Thank you Dr. Scudamore!

flag | Submitted February 28, 2015

flag | Submitted December 23, 2014

I went with my mom to Dr Scudamore's office and can not say enough about how amazing he is. His receptionist was lovely and helpful, he was amazing apologizing for being a little late as he had to perform a liver transplant. He gave us his thoughts on diagnosis first to assure us and them went over in detail not only regarding the spot on moms pancreas and why his thoughts were such but even other information regarding the fracture in her spine due to osteo. He had a great sense of humour which how heavy his job is was a breath of fresh air. He followed up with detailed testing and was very thorough in telling us all the possibilities. If I ever need a surgeon with his speciality (which I hope I don't) I would not go to anyone else but Dr Scudamore unless I had no other option.

flag | Submitted November 22, 2014

I can understand how some people might not like Dr Scudamore as he can come off a little cold when you first meet him , but really he's just extremely focused. I was lucky enough to have him perform a liver resection to remove a very large tour from 3 segments of my liver and he only left a very clean 4 inch scar. Prior to meeting him I was told that I would need to take 12+ weeks off of work to recover , but I was back to work after only 2 weeks!! I met him once (14 months prior to surgery) and we met for about 30 minutes where he explained that how my procedure would work and how it would be different from most based on the location of my tumour. His office assistant followed up with several time to make sure all of my labs were constantly up to day while I was waiting for my surgery as well. The only bad thing I could say is that it would have been nice to talk to him the days of my surgery versus his residents, but all three of them were fabulous doctors and never felt that I wasn't in capable hands the entire time I was in the hospital. I have my one month follow up with him next week and I'm looking forward to seeing the before and after MRIs. The only bad thing I can say about the entire experience is how long it took to see him but I feel that it was 100% worth the wait. I also understand that some people would be frustrated by how little they saw him when they were in the hospital, but like I said before his residents do a fabulous job and I understood that I wasn't going to see him much because really it wasn't necessary, and his time was best spent in the operating room versus doing rounds. I only saw him twice during my 1 week stay, but I never felt that I was left in the dark.

flag | Submitted August 31, 2014

Dr. Charles Scudamore's Credentials

Please call the Doctor's office to find out if your insurance plan is accepted.

Updates

• A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Scudamore took the time to give me a lot of information regarding my current health status that others had not taken the time to do. Virus free after havin..."

December 24, 2015
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Scudamore cared for my mom when she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer over 2 years ago. Unfortunately they did not figure out it was unresectable until a..."

December 11, 2015
  • A new 4.5-star rating has been posted. "He is right to th e point. Appreciate it. Helps him to see more patients who also are desperate to get an appointment with him. I am alive today because of my d..."

May 5, 2015
  • A new 2.5-star rating has been posted. "During my second ERCP with Dr. Scudamore I woke up during the procedure. I continue have searing pain in my back and all my leg arms ribs neck muscles have bee..."

April 3, 2015
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "Best surgeon in BC for any liver or pancreatic problem - especially cancer."

March 31, 2015
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Scudamore has little bedside manner, but he makes up for it with his knowledge & skill. If you have serious questions, write them down so you don't forget ..."

March 4, 2015
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "Thank goodness for Dr. Scudamore! Was finally able to end 5 years of tests and journeys to different specialists for my special needs daughter. He was direct, t..."

February 28, 2015
  • A new 1.5-star rating has been posted. "not impressed at all, i cannot say anything at all other than i would never see him again even if he paid me. horrible experience."

December 23, 2014
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I went with my mom to Dr Scudamore's office and can not say enough about how amazing he is. His receptionist was lovely and helpful, he was amazing apologizing..."

November 22, 2014