Ratings for Dr. Charles Scudamore

Dr. Charles Scudamore killed my mother before she should have died. He made a decision, or lack thereof, that unfortunately led to her death. In our initial appointment, he told us that he met with a board of physicians and decided not to give my mother localized chemotherapy before he was to operate on her liver cancer. This was a very good idea because her immune system was compromised at this point but surgery was still a very realistic option. The liver cancer he said was an easy surgery that would take about an hour and have minimal side effects... saying that my mother should have a good recovery. HOWEVER, somehow my mother was called in and they gave her the chemotherapy anyways... clearly Dr. Scudamore had requisitioned this not only going back on his word but NOT understanding the other co-morbidities my mother was going through at that time. Personally, I think he FORGOT what he said to us and was not thinking! Her immune system was too depleted to handle the chemotherapy. Immediately after receiving the chemotherapy her body began shutting down. There was NO WAY her body could have handled the chemo and survived and Dr. Scudamore told us his treatment was NOT to include the chemo. My mother died due to organ failure shortly after receiving the chemotherapy. In my opinion, from pure negligence on Dr. Scudamores part. With all the hope he had given us my mother died in a confused and delusional state because of the sepsis from organ failure. Imagine if this happened to your mother? I called Dr. Scudamores office after my mom's death because I wanted to know why he chose that specific treatment method... he wouldn't take my calls and ignored multiple voicemails. This is something that plagues me and my family every day which he showed no remorse for. That is because, in my opinion, he completely fucked up and realized it so he tucked his tail and tried to dodge any responsibility or accountability from talking to the family. I'm not sure if this is because the system has our surgeons overworked and they are spread too thin or because he just is negligent and didn't pay attention. Either way, the decisions he made killed my mother. Make sure you keep this guy accountable.

flag | Submitted April 17, 2017

Amazing. I wouldn't be here today if I had not met this extraordinary man and the BC transplant team.

flag | Submitted March 21, 2017

The ghost dr. Did a small procedure on my wife and never saw him again, just the "TEAM"". It was pretty obvious you're a right off if you have pancreatic cancer so why waste the time. Bc cancer was no better. It was unbelievable.

flag | Submitted February 8, 2017

Dr. Scudamore has changed my life, and I'm indebted to you sir, I've suffered with up right quadrant pain for thirty five years, one Doctor after another examined me, they couldn't find a thing, checked gall bladder, liver, myriad of tests, scans, more blood work, hernia checks. He actually listen to my history of the injury, while running at an extreme pace something blew up in my mid to upper right quadrant, his examination took two minutes, a completed tear of the rectus abdominis muscle, a simple injection and the pain was gone that had been there for thirty five years, now time will tell, we may need surgery but for the first time in thirty five years I can take a deep breath without severe pain. Absolute five star. Thank you sir from the bottom of my heart. Good day Don

flag | Submitted December 18, 2016

Dr. Scudamore took the time to give me a lot of information regarding my current health status that others had not taken the time to do. Virus free after having Hep C for 30 years. In 20 minutes, Dr. Scudamore diagnosed a current issue I had struggled with for the past 18 months, several Dr's, constant pain and told it was it was in my head. He was able to do this because he took the time to listen to what I said. I thank Dr. Scudamore and it was a pleasure meeting him

flag | Submitted December 24, 2015

Dr. Scudamore cared for my mom when she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer over 2 years ago. Unfortunately they did not figure out it was unresectable until after they were in there operating. I appreciate his skill and directness in communicating this to me. He got right to the point and in hindsight I am glad... I had to tell my family like it was, and no beating around the bush or false hope. He is an extremely skilled surgeon, and she made a full recovery with no complications despite being a very difficult patient (weak, poor nutrition, diabetic, grumpy) and it being a very difficult procedure (had to bypass the tumor as it was unresectable- so she could continue to eat... it was over 4cm in size, had invaded the stomach, dudoenum, and around vena cava). I doubt there are many surgeons who could have done this. It was an extremely long surgery- probably 4 or 5 hours long. The surgical residents on service were all fantastic and doing their best despite long hours. You didn't see Dr. Scudamore very often in hospital because he is spending his precious time operating on people and saving their lives, or at least making their remaining time more bearable/ comfortable. When you go to a teaching hospital, you are being looked after by residents who do most of the work, they round very early in the morning and do a great job- addressed my concerns, even set up physio and palliative home care for her despite it being the world's fastest discharge! We followed up a few times, my mom loved Dr. Scudamore (even though she didn't speak much English, she understood him). He is not a man of many words, but you can tell he is truly compassionate and cares a great deal. His medical office assistant was fantastic...such a nice lady, great about calling us back, always patient despite ++ busy office. Even if he is late with appointments we appreciate he is looking after the sickest patients. After my mom was back in hospital towards the end of her life, he saw her (she was palliative at this point) within a day or two of her being admitted and put in a stent so that her food pipe was at least open, so she could have sips of water and food in her last days, and it gave her alot of comfort. We are super grateful for the excellent care received. Thank you Dr. Scudamore and team for being so great.

flag | Submitted December 11, 2015

He is right to th e point. Appreciate it. Helps him to see more patients who also are desperate to get an appointment with him. I am alive today because of my donors family and Dr Scudamore and his team. I'd take his briefness any day for his knowledge surgical skills and teaching skills to other doctors. A patient is very fortunate to be able to see him at all. He is in one of the hospitals in the am.......pm. You'd find out if you are in the hospital yourself.. Morning to night. Thankyou.

flag | Submitted May 5, 2015

During my second ERCP with Dr. Scudamore I woke up during the procedure. I continue have searing pain in my back and all my leg arms ribs neck muscles have been injured due to being forced down on the operating table. My second surgery is March 20 and I continue have constant pain in my back where the surgical implement moved when I try to wake up. I'm prescribed gabapentin to dull this constant pain. After the procedure I had another surgeon come up to prescribe something for the pain. Four surgeries over 12 days this was the worst pain in my life. 12 out 10 on the pain scale. Pain lasted the six hours and morphine had no effect until I was prescribed gabapentin. I think Dr. Skudamore should I had listened to his assistant when she said give him 300 and he said no give him 150. I also could hear him tell me during operation hold on only a few more minutes as I got the burning pain in my back.I could feel the implement moving inside of me. I am very upset after reading my surgical operation note. It states, The patient tolerated this procedure well. His surgery has gone very technically well and the patient has recovered without incident. Not factual in my opinion and mitigating the issue of me waking up during the surgery is not helping with my recovery.

flag | Submitted April 3, 2015

Best surgeon in BC for any liver or pancreatic problem - especially cancer.

flag | Submitted March 31, 2015

Dr. Scudamore has little bedside manner, but he makes up for it with his knowledge & skill. If you have serious questions, write them down so you don't forget them. He did surgery on my sister who had stage 4 pancreas cancer which had spread to her liver. She had been ignored by her GP after many complaints & had been given Ranitadine for her stomach pain. She was unable to change doctors as she lived in a mental health boarding home. Dr. Scudamore gave her 2 1/2 more years with her family. I believe he is short with patients, because he is busy saving lives.

flag | Submitted March 4, 2015