Ratings for Dr. Ira J. Piel, Retired

Billing and office staff is very, very rude. I was in the waiting room and was forced to listen to billing clerks cussing out clients due to billing and insurance. The doctor was not current on newer treatments and does not visit when hospitalized. Emergency messages were not forwarded to the doctor in a timely manner. You are better off choosing a group practice with competent, professional support.

flag | Submitted November 29, 2013

I saw Dr. Piel for 9 months for IVIG treatment. Earlier this year I was given too much IVIG and was diagnosed with aseptic meningitis. At that time I was also diagnosed with 3 bacterial blood infections which originated from my chest port which was accessed by Dr. Piel's office. The pathology reports of the blood cultures showed that contamination was the cause of the blood infections. Additionally, Dr. Piel came to the hospital once to see me which was on a Friday. He advised he would return that Monday to see me and to this date I have not seen or heard back from him. I was hospitalized for several days. I have also requested a copy of my medical records be sent to me from his office on numerous occasions since July of this year and to date he has not sent me my medical records. I would not recommend this doctor at all.

flag | Submitted October 1, 2013

I have a rare blood disorder. It had been in remission for years, but came back when I was 6 months pregnant. Needless to say, I was very very frightened and worried. Dr. Piel and his staff were like family. He helped me through it medically and psychologically. His staff was wonderful, too! When my daughter was born, they even called to congratulate me. I highly recommend anyone to go to their office.

flag | Submitted January 16, 2009

I had my chemo at Dr. Piel's practice. I was very impressed with him and his staff. They made a very difficult time in my life more tolerable thru their care and expertice.

flag | Submitted March 26, 2007

Went in for a consultation only. this doctor proceeded to treat me as though I was already his patient, he gave me a diagnosis for my cancer and the treatment i would need, and then realized that he didnt have a single one of my test results in his file, no pathology report, no blood work, no CT scan results. He then had them faxed over, skimmed through them briefly and still tryed to convince me that he knew my case. I told him that another doctor said I didnt need chemo and had told me the exact opposite of his opinion. He disagreed with that doctors opinion, then asked us if we had already applyed for public aid. as soon as we told him we didnt, he changed his whole attitude and said they would moniter me through blood tests instead and a yearly mamogram. How can a doctor determine what if any treatment a patient needs, if he has none of the most important test results and info in front of him ?? The whole thing was a scam to get me on chemo, which I was already told was NOT needed?

flag | Submitted October 6, 2006

Dr. Ira J. Piel, Retired's Credentials

• Univ Of Il Coll Of Med, Chicago Il 60680 (Grad. 1967)