Ratings for Dr. Richard E. Whitlow

I am changing doctors. Visited Dr Whitlow after going to E.R. From severe, almost rehabilitating back pain. Back was so sore, I could barely stumble myself into office. He Acted like he didn't care about treating me, and acted like I was being a nuisance on such severe back pain to him, almost like it was nothing. Office staff is also terrible in returning phone calls, etc. He made me not want to visit Doctor, or made me feel uncomfortable in asking for care. A patient should not feel like they are being a nuiscence when visiting Doctor with severe pain, or a medical problem. Do not recommend.

flag | Submitted September 16, 2015

I've been taking my dad to Dr. Whitlow for a few months. He has been seen three times for prescriptions and general wellness. Dr. Whitlow did a very thorough assessment, ordered lab tests and carefully reviewed the records we brought and prescribed appropriate medications, which was an urgent issue for us. It was the quickest appointment we could get. I'm so happy that we found him.

flag | Submitted November 6, 2014

Saw Dr. Yesterday ( Friday )had blood work and urinalysis was told results would be in that afternoon ! Heard nothing. Called today was told yes you do have a UTI, but the Dr has left for the day and will not be available to call in the script until Monday!!!! I have been a patient since Dr. located in Leavenworth and am so very very disappointed with this treatment!

flag | Submitted September 14, 2013

I have been seeing Dr. Whitlow for more than 20 years. I would not see anyone else unless I had to. I am surprised with the negative ratings given as I have never had a bad experience. He sees patients as walk-ins every M-F from 7:30am to 10:00am. He is open Saturday mornings. He goes to the hospital for rounds before the 7:30 walk ins and after his regular work day is done. I don't know many doctors who are that flexible. I think he's amazing. I know it is frustrating when a person is misdiagnosed but he is a General Practioner, not a specialist. He can't know everything and he is going to make mistakes. I think he's a great doctor, always takes time with me and I highly recommend him

flag | Submitted October 19, 2012

I am an overweight woman with considerable health issues. Dr. Whitlow is my biggest advocate, he listens to what I have to say, allows me to have input in my treatment, and is very thorough. This man is a breath of fresh air after so many years of feeling doctors look at me and think because I am overweight, female, and poor that I deserve the problems I have. He has always treated me with the utmost respect and spends more time with me than any other doctor I have ever seen..and I have seen plenty!

flag | Submitted March 1, 2012

This man has no interest in listening to a patient because they haven't been to medical school and can't possibly know something is wrong with them. I was a patient for 4-5 years until he misdiagnosed my chest pain as anxiety instead of the life threatening pulmonary blood clot I had. Even after my hospital stay, I followed up with him, but he still would not listen to anything I had to say and kept telling me it was all in my head. I wouldn't recommend him to anyone.

flag | Submitted January 19, 2012

has been my doctor for years, I switched to him after being unsatisifed with my prior three doctors. very knowledgeable.

flag | Submitted October 29, 2011

Dr. Whitlow misdiagnosed my father. My father saw him for over 8 years with complaints of headache, dizziness, numbness. He did blood tests and did put him on cholesterol medicine. However, not once did he do a caratid duplex of the neck or other tests to check the caratid artery. My father had repeatedly gone to him over the past two years over and over. Unfortunately my dad did seek out specialists but the wrong ones. My father had 99.3% blockage in his right caratid artery and none on the other. Had a simple ultrasound of the artery (Caratid duplex) had been done he might still be alive. It was not until he had a TIA and then two other strokes repeated within two days that killed him. Dr. Whitlow also told the ER to send him to the ICU for observation and then said he would come the next day to start tests. After he was sent to ICU he had another stroke 3 hrs later. Thankfully he was life flighted to St Lukes on the Plaza and they were great but it was to late.

flag | Submitted September 28, 2009

A long time ago I hurt my ankle pretty bad. When I went to him it was also for a sports physical. He had an intern look at my ankle. When he was one with my physical he briefly looked at the ankle and went off what the intern said, a sprain. 3 weeks later after using his course of treatment it was still bothering me. I go back to him and he sends me to physical therapy for 3 weeks. First 2 weeks are good but the third it got worse. I go back, he doesn't know whats going on. He then sends me to an orthpedic specialist. The specialist took a brief history then immediately said he was going to do a stress x-ray. It showed that I had torn several ligaments and tendons in my ankle. This injury happened in October, it didn't get solved till February. He trusted an intern, and misdiagnosed me. My ankle has never been the same. I refuse to go to him anymore unless I have no other choice.

flag | Submitted March 8, 2009

Dr Whitlow misdiagnosed my symptoms. He recommened the wrong type of specialist for me and seemed to not have much empathy for me as a patient. I was under quite a bit of pain, but he didn't seem to care.

flag | Submitted December 9, 2008

Dr. Richard E. Whitlow's Credentials

• Univ Of Ks Sch Of Med, Kansas City Ks 66103 (Grad. 1984)

Medicaid / Medi-Cal