Dr. Jay S. Wallshein

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Jay S. Wallshein

I develop dryness in my eyes about 3 or 4 years ago. At that time I went to see a group of physicians in the Boynton Beach area and after that I went to see another group in Palm Beach Gardens. After that group I then went to see another set of physicians in the Boca Raton area. One of my friends recommended an eye doctor in the Delray Beach area and after seeing all four of them I realized that all of them are trained about the same and are pretty much very basic in their methodologies. Each of them prescribed artificial tears of different types and put plugs in my tear ducts. One gave me Restasis that burned. It was after that that I asked one of my friends who has dryness of her eyes who he uses and he says that she uses the doctors at Palm Beach Eye Center specifically Dr. Wallshein and that his physician recommended. I called my VIP internist and asked who she used and I got a different answer. It was something like here are 3 names, and in a softer voice "but all the doctors in the area use this last one on the list, Dr Wallshein." She said "so do I." So I was in his office and he starts listening to my case and after 5 mins of my experience, he just asked me to stop right there and basically requested that he be allowed to do some dry testing on the spot. It was done and it was determined that I have multiple problems leading to my condition and he said that artificial tears and plugs were never going to be an effective way to treat it. So I'm supposed to believe this one and not everyone else? My wife and I was shocked and so we left the office. I requested my medical records and ended up going to another physician in the Fort Lauderdale area who than recommended once again artificial tears, plugs and this time a steroid. After doing this for several months with no improvement, I decided to return to Palm Beach Eye Center to discuss my case further. The doctor asked where I had been for so long and I said that I decided to get another opinion. We both smiled. To be honest I thought the doctor was looking to get some extra money because there was a test that was not covered by insurance of $40. He said he wished everything was covered as well because it would certainly be a lot easier to treat patients in an effective way. Anyway after multiple years of all my problems, Dr Wallshein made a treatment plan and I followed it. It's been 2 months now that I saw the good doctor and I feel great. My eyes are perfect and I sleep great at night. I can use the computer all day long. I cannot tell you how this is changed my life and I cannot tell you how wrong people can be and short-sighted. Anyway I'm just very pleased with this doctor. My wife had cataract surgery and had an absolute beautiful outcome with 20/20 vision distance and near. My daughter now sees him and she's very happy with her new contact lenses. I highly recommend this practice to all my friends. They are truly ethical smart and are thinking outside the box when it comes to treating conditions that nobody else does and I mean this literally as I saw just about everyone else.

flag | Submitted March 24, 2018

Palm Beach Eye Center is truly a spectacular place. The front office staff is absolutely amazing and they really care and go the extra mile to make sure that the patients are being taken care of properly. When I was there I saw so many patients and each and everyone got individual care from the front desk. Then the technicians were absolutely fabulous and their skill level is clearly the best such that you can tell there is a lot of training going on. I've been to so many other places in area and just have always been so dissatisfied. Other places are like factories but not only there are a lot of people in the offices the quality of the technicians are just really bad. It's amazing how sloppy some of the staff look and how the offices are kept and it just tells me what to expect from the physician. At Palm Beach Eye Center the staff was absolutely immaculate and dressed beautifully. Their approach is really amazing something that you would get in a really refined Spa or private Institution. I had surgery and had absolutely spectacular outcome that I could not be more pleased with. All of my friends come to this practice and when I asked my Physicians who they go to they all tell me that they go here as well. And I'm not surprised because you can tell that these doctors are so thorough and precise and that's something I really appreciate.

flag | Submitted March 17, 2018

My wife went to a doctor in Boynton part of a large group. She had a lesion on her eye that Dr Wallshein thought was cancer . The Boynton doctor removed the lesion and told me all was fine. Dr Wallshein persisted and said all is not fine and she needed more work done. We went back two more times and Dr Wallshein persisted to the point we were aggravated with him and left his practice to go back to Boynton. Yet, my wife's eye didn't seem right after months went by. So we went back to Dr Wallshein and although we figured he wouldn't welcome us back, he did. He reviewed the pathologist report and how the surgery was done and it turned out the Boynton doctor left cancer on the eye. We were so scared but Dr Wallshein made us feel at ease and consulted another doctor right in front of us. We will have more surgery but at least we know we are in great hands. The Boynton group that is a supposed microsurgical group will never be seen by us again. They are really sketchy . Dr Wallshein runs a great office and he really cares about his patients and has a nice manner. When we were in the office another patient was telling us a nearly identical story about what we experienced. Then on another visit we heard a worse story about another group on 10th avenue. Dr Wallshein is the place to go.

flag | Submitted December 28, 2017

These are the best ophthalmologists in Palm beach county. The woman who watches my son was having problems with Her eyes. She was seen by three of these amazing doctors and the results are phenomenal. I wouldn't trust my eyes to anyone else. It is a busy practice because of the outstanding doctors that are in it, but it is a very professional office where patients come first. I highly recommend Palm Beach Eye Center

flag | Submitted December 21, 2017

My mom was going blind and Dr Wallshein saved her vision. First of all I went to another doctor in lake worth on 10 th Avenue and I think this guy was the biggest quack. He said there was nothing wrong and put some tear drops in. Then I went to Wallshein with my mom and he said the macula was bleeding. They gave her an immediate injection in the eye and now she’s doing much better.

flag | Submitted November 18, 2017

Top notch doctor that really cares for you. My wife and I have always been treated well at his office and they're always kind

flag | Submitted November 18, 2017

Approximating six months ago I began feeling pain in my eyes and awaking during sleep. It felt as though my eyes were stuck together. Then I developed my first erosion on the eye that required all kinds of treatment. I went to 2 different doctor offices in Boynton Beach and another in Delray when this condition did not resolve. I asked my internist who is the best in the area and he said go to Dr. Wallshein, because this is where I go, my family goes and most everyone else goes when they have a problem, and he'll find a solution to it, "trust me". When someone says trust me, I get nervous. Anyways, I went to him and his staff was fantastic. The most thorough exam I had ever. Then Dr. Wallshein saw me and asked to do a few tests on the cornea. He then showed me on photos where the problem was but also said that my eyes were very dry and I had lost so much of my tear layer that my lids were acting like sand paper and rubbing off the surface of my eye when it dried out. He had recommended three treatments all of which were not covered by insurance...I was so angry that I left and didn't even pay for the extra testing. I then went to a cornea specialist in west palm beach that saw me . He was nice but didn't even have the same testing equipment that Wallshein had and his office looked like he did nothing to it in 20 years. Then I saw a doctor in Boca Raton who is supposed to be the guru in cornea, but again didn't have most of the same equipment At the end, they recommended some but not all of the treatments of Dr. Wallshein. They agreed with his diagnosis and treatment plan. In the end, I felt most comfortable with Dr. Wallshein and his kind and soft mannerisms. While I was unhappy with the costs I proceeded with his treatment plan. Within 3 weeks I was 70 percent better and in a few more months it was fully resolved. My eyes feel very nice and I have none of the symptoms I had before. I can honestly say that I know he's a good and honest doctor because my friend went to him with dry eyes and he recommended a basic treatment that was covered by insurance and basically free. He told me my case was a lot tougher and that's why he recommended what he did. I'm so happy here and have recommended other people as well.

flag | Submitted November 4, 2017

My mother had surgery with Dr Wallshein last week and another a few weeks ago. I went to Bascom Palmer prior for a second opinion. They said I will likely need a cornea transplant because of a rare condition I had. Dr Wallshein reaffirmed that I had this condition but said he will do everything in his ability to prevent it. I have vision in only one eye and my other eye is permanently blind. He brought a retina and cornea specialist to do my good eye. The cornea specialist did the laser and retina was available for unforseen complications. All went great and I am starting to see beautifully from my only eye. Dr Wallshein went through details after detail as to what would like be the course and he was spot on. The staff at his center is the best. The doctor is the best. I'm super pleased here and I can see!

flag | Submitted October 29, 2017

Long time patient of this practice and only had great experiences. Dr Wallshein always takes good care of family and is east to communicate with. We like and appreciate his work and expertise. I had pain around my eye for many years. Previously I had shingles. I saw 4 doctors in the area for it and not much was done. Dr Wallshein did some tests and found two issues. First, I had neuropathic pain which he prescribed a pill and it worked well. Secondly I had very severe dry eyes from the nerve damage. He made special drops for me which really helped. All is great now .

flag | Submitted September 30, 2017

Few weeks ago I was seen at the office. Excellent front desk staff that was patient and helpful. Dr Wallshein was top notch with myself and my mother. I was seen at another office in Wellington that is basically clueless to what I had. They diagnosed me as a glaucoma suspect...then I went to Dr Wallshein that said yes its possible about glaucoma but that's not the only thing that causes the eye to look like this.. He did a battery of tests and it seems I don't have glaucoma at all...not even a bit. The problem was actually much more serious and had I not gone for a second opinion I could have died. He explained to me that we need to go see a few specialists and I did. He called me a few times during the process to check up and see how I was doing. Since then I took my mother to see him who had cataracts in both eyes. One was removed and it came out great. My mother can see great driving so now she takes me everywhere. I have a long course before I'm better and that is if I'm better. That said at least I'm alive and I will continue to see. A friend of mine has seen Dr W as well. She went to a doctor in Palm Beach Gardens that said she had a high probability of glaucoma and that it was familial. So Dr Wallshein examined her and said that yes, glaucoma is familial but so are a lot of other things like nutritional deficiencies and toxic causes. Here we go again...so Dr Wallshein tested for the other things and he finds that everyone had a genetic disorder causing malabsorption and that was the cause of the problem. Everyone we know and its a lot now loves him and he's doing great for all of us.

flag | Submitted July 10, 2017

Dr. Jay S. Wallshein's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

• Boston University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1999)

Healthnet