Ratings for Dr. Ravi Rao

Dr. Rao spends time with every patient to understand the weight loss issues and provide help to with cost effective surgical solutions to achieve weight loss goals. Thanks to Dr. Rao.

flag | Submitted September 13, 2017

Overweight for yonks! Did my research. Googled. Spoke to people. All paths lead to..Dr. Ravi Rao! Loved him after the first consult. Had the sleeve. Paul Young his anaesthetist was lovely. Post op ..woke up well. Good enough to go home next day. By day 4 I was wondering if he did actually do the operation!. Lost 23 lbs in 3 months and not a hiccup. Thanks to as ll here who have left a review. I agree he is not just a brilliant surgeon but with a very pleasing humane touch and impeccable bedside manners. Recommend him any day.

flag | Submitted September 2, 2017

An Amazing Personality, very caring and passionate about obesity. I chose to go to the top 3 and Dr Rao was one of them. He was the second surgeon I went to. He made the first one appear almost insignificant and I never ended up going to the third one. He takes time with his questioning, explains obesity and why surgery works. I had the mini gastric bypass in mind but he explained why the SIPS procedure is better . I had the SIPS. His anaesthetist was fantastic.Post op recovery was flawless. I had no pain. The scars minimal. I was discharged first day after surgery, I have not taken my BP meds or Insulin since the day of Sugery! The weight loss has been good too. I absolutely recommend Dr Rao. He is not only an excellent surgeon but an amazing human being. Top Class

flag | Submitted August 30, 2017

I had a failed sleeve from another surgeon. I was looking at options when I came across SIPS. Dr Rao did this for me. I was amazed at my recovery. The quality of life post op was better than the sleeve! I was cured of my diabetes day 1 and have not taken any insulin since. I had been on it for years. I have lost 26 kgs beautifully since the operation. Strongly recommend both..SIPS and Dr Ravi Rao. Brilliant surgeon and amazeballs human being. Excellent staff. Brilliant all around.

flag | Submitted August 3, 2017

I had a gastric band put in 5 years back. All it caused me was grief with vomiting , reflux and unable to eat anything properly. I had the band removed by the same surgeon who put it in. I was going to get sleeved by the same surgeon when my friend suggested to meet Dr Ravi Rao instead. I gave it a go. He seemed nicer, approachable so decided to go with him. During Surgery he found that my stomach was not unwrapped properly in the first instance to do the sleeve. He did that and then I had the sleeve. I am now 3 months post op , losing weight in a healthy manner and having great support even though I live in Geraldton. I thank my friend for the referral and am grateful to Dr Ravi Rao and his excellent team for all the good work that they do

flag | Submitted July 26, 2017

An Absolute fantastic Dr great bedside manners to all of his patients as from what I have seen on his FB page and has a very caring manner. Reassures you from start to finish, I am now only 3 weeks Post Op but have read so much from his patients on FB and how they adore this surgeon. I have the up most respect for this life changing surgeon and his gentleman manners. :-)

Submitted July 24, 2017

If I could give him more than 5 stars I would...Dr Rao performed my sleeve last year and he has changed my life. His commitment to aftercare and ensuring his patients are always looked after through a personal FB page dedicated to his patients is incredible. He is always on there answering questions and helping 24/7. I am looking forward to booking in my abdominoplasty with him later this year! Thank you Dr Ravi Rao!!

flag | Submitted July 17, 2017

When my GP referred me to Dr Rao, he promised me he was "a great bloke". And he really is. Very caring, honest and genuine...you leave his office feeling comfortable and confident. He has performed two surgeries on me and has shown impecable skill. I have since referred sevwral friends to him and they say the same.

flag | Submitted July 16, 2017

Dr Ravi Rao performed the first SIPS operation in Western Australia on me in January 2017. In 2013 I was officially diagnosed with lupus and fibromyalgia, and the pain and fatigue from these conditions meant that I could not even exercise enough to keep my weight stable, let alone exercise enough to lose weight; one of my medications also had weight gain as a side effect. My GP recommended exploring bariatric surgery options; the first surgeon I saw wasn’t particularly interested in performing any more bariatric surgeries and after searching online I came across Dr Rao’s profile. After reading the many glowing reviews from his patients I asked my GP for a referral to see Dr Rao instead and I haven’t looked back since. Dr Rao is an approachable, knowledgeable and attentive doctor who regularly checks in with, and responds to, his patients. During my initial consultation we went over my detailed medical history and discussed the options that were available, after which I went away to do some follow-up research. I was also able to join Dr Rao’s closed social media group for bariatric patients to learn about what others had or were experiencing; this is a great support network. In my second consultation, Dr Rao gave me all the time I needed to ask questions, of which I had an A4 page, and by the end of that meeting I had made up my mind to proceed with the SIPS operation in light of my high BMI and because it was likely to allow me to have a fairly normal diet with minimal side effects. The operation went perfectly and the only side effect I suffered was a pre-existing nausea reaction to anaesthesia. I was able to start consuming clear fluids as soon as they were given to me and quickly made it up to the recommended amount each day. I felt pretty good for the two weeks I was off work, and after starting back at work I was a little tired but that just made me sleep well at night; I wasn’t totally exhausted like some sleeve patients had mentioned. The laparoscopic incisions all healed well except for the belly button, which was a little slower as my skin there is quite thin. I adapted to each stage of eating (clear fluid, nourishing fluid, puree and solid) easily. I’m consuming three meals that are about two-thirds of a cup in size plus two snacks and drinking one protein shake and around 1750mls of water/diet cordial each day (diet cordial or some lemon juice definitely makes water easier to drink). I also take the chewable BN Multi plus my iron and Vitamin D supplements for pre-existing deficiencies. I now feel like I’m living a pretty normal life, just with smaller, regular quantities of healthy food (the only issues I’ve had with food are that bread and red meat in steak-form make me feel uncomfortable, and chillies upset my stomach). Meeting with the nutritionist definitely helped me to learn about protein-rich foods, quantities, and to plan my meals in advance. My weight loss did not start immediately after surgery, which may or may not have been a result of my lupus. After losing 5 kilograms in the first week I lost nothing in Weeks 2 and 3, and barely managed 0.5kg in Weeks 4 and 5, leading us to worry that maybe I was one of the rare people who don’t respond to bariatric surgery. However, since Week 6 I’ve been regularly losing an average of 1kg per week. In seven months, since starting Optifast prior to surgery, I’ve lost a total of 45.5 kilograms and my quality of life has improved dramatically. I no longer have to take medication for high blood pressure. I have more energy and my fatigue has been reduced, especially if I’m sleeping well. Pre-surgery I struggled to walk for 10-minutes on my treadmill and most days I had to go to bed when I arrived home from work; I can now walk fairly easily for 40-minutes each day. My soft-tissue pain has become more periodic rather than constant and I’m no longer looking sickly and puffy in the face. Additionally, I’ve experienced none of the possible side-effects that I was warned about, which is fantastic. I would highly recommend both Dr Ravi Rao and the SIPS procedure.

flag | Submitted July 14, 2017

Dr Ravi Rao was my Roux en Y bypass surgeon in May 2017. Dr Rao is a US trained Bariatric Surgeon. One of only 3 in Perth. I would highly recommend him to anyone considering a bariatric procedure. Debbie Inkley

flag | Submitted May 25, 2017