Ratings for Dr. Edwin H. Shoaf

My mother and father are both patient's of Dr. Shoaf. He lacks ALL communication skills. He acts as if he doesn't care at all. He is constantly telling them "These are yes and no answers," indicating that he doesn't care to hear anything. He wants you to only speak when spoken to and is quick to tell you he doesn't have time to hear you speak. He knows medical care; however he no longer takes the time or care about his patient's that he used to. I am very disappointed and I am encouraging my parents to go elsewhere for their care.

flag | Submitted November 20, 2013

I have accompanied my mother on two appointments with Dr Shaof . He lacks interpersonal skills. He does not Make eye contact and does not answer questions . He gives the impression that he does not care and . I an not pleased with the way he treated my mother

flag | Submitted July 29, 2013

Dr. Shoaf has been my primary care physician since I moved to Charlotte in 2006. I find him to be extremely punctual and efficient. He is not interested in small talk (nor am I, so that is perfect for me) but takes as much time as is necessary to perform a proper evaluation during my visit and considers all aspects that may be effecting my health. I have referred him to a number of friends and will continue to do so.

flag | Submitted November 1, 2011

Dr. Shoaf is always on time. Very astute - correctly diagnosed cancer in very early stages - very pleased.

flag | Submitted July 12, 2011

I have seen Dr. Shoaf once to establish as a new pateint, just having moved to CLT. Dr. Shoaf has obvious difficulty with interpersonal communication. Avioding eye contact and reciprical conversation. Additonally, he neglated to follow up on two issues I advised him of that I felft were inportant to my health. I have a significant family history of diabetes and and distal numbness in my feet. He failed to order a Hemoglobin A1C test with my labs and didn't even ask me to remove my socks to examine my feet. My lab results were communicated by way of raw values entered on a standard form with no interpreation or explanation, even though I had a Cholesterol level that was out of range. I have no doubt that Dr. Shoaf is intelligent and prob a good diagnostician, however, judging from the other rateing seems to lack consistency and interest.

flag | Submitted January 26, 2010

Dr. Shoaf is a caring man who has been my GP for five years. I have found his work and the work of his associates to be excellent.

flag | Submitted March 14, 2009

I'm a senior and Dr. Shoaf has been my primary physician for at least 25-30 years. At first, he was in practice with three other doctors and did not seem rushed during visits. Now he is part of a five city, multiple hospital health organization and must adhere strictly to their schedule (which he does) - although he spent 40-45 minutes with my wife on a 15 minute visit helping her make an important decision about a complicated cancer situation. He doesn't waste time with small talk, but concentrates on your medical concerns (which is the way I like it). I have heard him described by other medical professionals as the best diagnostician in Charlotte. He has saved my hide twice with detection of a severely blocked heart artery and early detection of prostate cancer. I find him quietly friendly and I'm glad he's my physician.

flag | Submitted March 2, 2009

I have low testosterone along with major depression, I take antidepressants but they work poorly. Dr. Shoaf was vehement that I take testosterone and I agreed with him on that, however I explained to him that I had a previous experience with testosterone gel and SSRIs as being too stimulating of a combination. Shoaf did not listen to my description of my past experiences with Androgel and SSRI antidepressants and generally, was extremely dismissive of my concerns and complaints. I decided to give T-gel a second chance with SSRIs and like the first time around by the second week I was basically climbing the walls with overstimulation. By the third week, it was so much overstimulation, it felt like a "whiteout" if you get my meaning, where the receptors are just overwhelmed. I also know that the addition of Testim aggravated my obstructive sleep apnea and my autopap pressures spiked like crazy while on Testim. The guy is very conservative, basically a nice guy, but just a poor listener.

flag | Submitted March 2, 2009

I am a physician myself, and Dr. Shoaf has been my internist for almost 30 years. He has probably the brightest medical mind in Charlotte. He is well respected by everyone I know. If you want a brilliant diagnostician, you can't do any better.

flag | Submitted August 9, 2007

I have been seen by this physician for many years. I have found him to be an excellent diagnostician and very thorough in his exams and testing. He follows the recommended guidelines and investigates patients complaints. His personality is reserved. I was saddened to read another review implying that he is less than competent. Although I empathize with the reviewer over the loss, I strongly disagree with the review.

flag | Submitted December 7, 2006

Dr. Edwin H. Shoaf's Credentials

• Bowman Gray School Of Medicine Of Wake Forest University (Grad. 1975)