Ratings for Dr. Patrice Langlois

Before I saw Dr. Langlois I read the comments on this board and expected the worse. I had seen other pain specialists in Ottawa and have had injections under x-ray to try and relieve my problem. Those stopped working after a year or so. I've now see the good doctor several times over the past year and the pain is completely under control. I was going every 4 week to begin with, now I've moved it to 6 weeks. This is been the most I've been pain free in over 5 years. Yes, it'll take you about 8 months to get your first appointment, and yes when you get it, you'll be waiting about 2 hrs to see him during the first appointment but after that you can control your appointments a bit better. I don't usually wait more that 30 minutes now. I have never seen him once argue with his staff, and if he requires you to pee, that's because of the medication you are on, it's addictive so he needs to make sure you are ok. He volunteers his time visiting northern communities where they don't have access to someone with this much experience. He's never been anything but friendly with me since I started. Some people may thing he's a bit rough around the edges, but that could be because he's French. I have seen other so called pain specialists and all they said was, "not much we can do". Frankly if he was a complete A-hole I'd still go see him as he knows what he's doing and does it well.

flag | Submitted June 28, 2016

I have been suffering with ongoing pain for quite sometime my first dr was a nurse prationer which she did a couple of test then preceed to brush me off then i switched to another dr who has been amazing i got referred to pain clinic to see dr langlois and yes i find him very rude because he has a strong accent cause he is french i have a hard time understanding him he talk down to me like i was a child prescribed me meds that did nothing for my pain made me sick going to work vomiting only thing he is doing for me is i am going for spine MRI once i get my results thats the end seeing him he wants me to see him each month only can get medications from 1 dr which inturn tells me he is asking me to switch to him i don,t live in ottawa i work more then having days off and alot in gas for me

flag | Submitted June 22, 2016

I've been a patient of Dr. Langlois for the past 12 years. Until I met him, I was going from family doctor to family doctor, looking for someone--anyone, to help me. I was going to the ER on a weekly basis because I couldn't control my severe and chronic pain, but Dr. Langlois changed all that and now I'm able to lead a relatively normal life. I'm able to better control my pain because of Dr. Langlois care and knowledge of my rare condition. While it's true that when a patient has an appointment with Dr. Langlois there might be a considerable wait before being called in to see him, I find that even though there is a waiting room full of people, he takes the time to talk to me and review my situation. The reason there can be such a long wait isn't because Dr. Langlois is inefficient at running his practice, but because there are so few pain specialists in the city, and he rarely turns someone away if they need his help. Dr. Langlois is quite personable, as are his staff. I see Dr. Langlois on a monthly basis because I take strong medications, and he follows his patients closely, not because he's attempting to rip off OHIP, but because it's necessary given the medications he prescribes. I had been vomiting several times a day for many years, but last summer, Dr. Langlois prescribed me medical marijuana. Since then, I've vomited only twice. When it comes to this type of medication, Dr. Langlois is very knowledgeable, and he's passed this knowledge to me, his patient. I can't express my gratitude to him enough, for he changed my life for the better. Dr. Langlois speaks openly and frankly, which I appreciate. In these last 12 years, I've come to know Dr. Langlois as a doctor, and I appreciate greatly the time and effort he's put into my care. Dr. Langlois gave me my life back, and for that, I'll always be grateful.

flag | Submitted May 30, 2016

Dr Langlois has changed my life....for the better. I have complex issues, which he has had zero problems dealing with. He is humorous when appropriate and completely puts my mind at ease. I don't care about the long waits, because I know when it's my turn to see him, he will spend that extra time with me if needed. There are so few doctors of his specialty in the area so I am happy to wait if that means people who need his care are able to get in. I see complaints about having to pee in the cup and come in on a monthly basis....those are things mandated by the province. He has a duty to be seeing people on different types of meds at different intervals and yes, if he is prescribing us narcotics then he needs to know if any of us are abusing those drugs or any other one, esp because that could have serious consequences to our health and treatment. His nurse is also super fantastic and treats people very well. If some of you aren't happy with his care, then by all means, please stop seeing him so that people who are on the waiting list and would be extremely grateful to see him, can have that opportunity.

flag | Submitted February 27, 2016

He is the best you will ever get . I really like him .

flag | Submitted December 14, 2015

la première fois que j,ai un médecin et que je ne suis pas nerveuse.Les autres c,est leurs approche peut-être.Moi je vais rester en contact avec lui.Merci d,être là quand j,ai besoin de vous.Là j,ai besoin de vous comment je fait pas d,autre médecins que vous Merci..

flag | Submitted September 11, 2015

Dr Langlois is very knowledgeable, about very specific things. I suspect patients with fairly straight-forward diagnoses benefit greatly from Dr Langlois' expertise. However, my experience with him has been that he is not equipped to handle complex cases. More specifically, there are not enough specialists in our area, so he is dealing with very challenging pressures. I believe he has significant difficulty finding the appropriate amount of time to thoroughly assess patients' symptoms, side-effects, progress at each visit, to review their med profile, etc. As well, he does not seem to have the supports required to manage multiple co-morbid interacting pain-triggering conditions. As a result of this, and our naive trust that he would be able to handle my partner's medical needs, there was a drug interaction that went undetected alongside a pain-triggering condition that went untreated due to a very strong focus on treating only the degenerative discs condition, and an emergency critical condition hospitalization resulted. All this to say - there are zero alternatives at this point in time, and correcting these types of outcomes likely requires a combination of "superstar" doctors (who tend to be attracted to other types of medicine as opposed to chronic pain management) and significant improvements in health care system funding and structure (i.e., best practice-style "case management"team-based treatments for chronic pain patients...

flag | Submitted August 26, 2015

I've had Dr. Langlois for 6/7 months and he has helped me tremendously , he also helped me threw my pregnancy. With the pain, I was for ever greatful I have a buldging disc in two places in my back and is very painful. All I kno is if it wernt for him I'd still be in extreme pain and dealing with my 3 children 1 child having autism and a new born would be almost impossible. But everyone has there opinion, and this is mine.

flag | Submitted August 18, 2015

Wow some people who write here are totally out of sink. Going to see Dr. Langlois isn't going to cure you, he is a pain management specialist not a surgeon. When he tells you that if you aren't happy to go see another pain specialist then he is right to tell you so and it is your right to do so. For those people that keep on seeing him then why do you complain. He is a no nonsense doctor and if you can't or don't want to ear the thruth then why do you keep on ging to him for help? the answer is that he does relieve you of some pain. I have being seeing him for 7 years as I have 3 herniated disc in my lower back which if I get operated on there is only 20% success rate. At least by seeing Dr. Langloiis I am being able to walk and not be in a wheelchair. So in conclusion, I never had any problems with the doctor, yes he is very straight forward and if you can't take it get the out of his office and go elsewhere.

flag | Submitted June 16, 2015

Dr. Patrice Langlois is a very rude and an unprofessional doctor. He often has loud arguments with his staff in front of the patients. He always prescribes medication that does not help me and changes his mind with other medications the following week as this has been ongoing since I've been a patient with him since 2011. He has a nurse that sits, sneezes and pretends to read a book while listening to patients problems. The waiting time is terrible and tries to prescribe medication that Workplace Safety and Insurance Board does not cover and does not take the time to understand your problem. His practice should be shut down as there as been numerous complaints with the Ontario College of Physicians,

flag | Submitted April 13, 2015