Ratings for Dr. Maryam Shayesteh Alam

Very efficient office, I was there today and surprised to see how fast and nice are the staff, doctors and nurses. The clinic is like an emergency room!! Maybe busier!! Lots of cancer patients in the waiting room. All were happy that were taken care of very fast and in a perfect way by Dr Alam and the surgeons of this busy center. Good luck with anybody who wants to go to Newmarket! !! You won't find any cancer center lIke this even in Toronto. I myself am suffering from multiple skin cancer and feel blessed that we have Dr Alam and her colleagues here

flag | Submitted September 21, 2016

Absolutely agree with the previous comment about travelling to New Market. Dr. Alam is VERY unprofession, rude, abrupt. I watched her treat her front desk reception staff like garbage. I sat in the waiting room for hours and I heard her yell "WHO'S ON DESK?" multiple times. The desk is right there in front of her but she does not go and speak with them despite the fact that there are 15 people in line at the desk trying to check in. As I was in line checking in, the receptionist was in the middle of checking me in and had to leave on 3 separate occasions as Dr. Alam yelled for who ever is on desk. (How can the girls do their job?!) And then after waiting MONTHS for this appointment I am only in the room with her for 5 minutes. I felt shrugged off. And then I am told that I cannot reschedule an appointment or I will be rescheduled into the new year? I asked if there were cancellations and I was told I could not be fit into one......... She does not care about anyone else's time but her own. And money. That is the reason she is over booked. Do the drive to Newmarket and see Dr. Katz. Save yourself from being rescheduled into the new year anyways.

Submitted September 19, 2016

PLEASE do yourself a favour and ask to be seen by the dermatologist in Newmarket. It's worth the drive. Dr alam will discharge you to spite you if she feels the need. She is rude and impatient but expects people not to question her wait time. She is unprofessional and unkind! There are other dermatologists!

flag | Submitted September 15, 2016

From what I understand, due to the major shortage of dermatologists North of Toronto (cough Dr. K scandal), this Doctor has to work 12 hours a day with hardly a break to eat. My mum just had an appointment there and from the time her family doctor made the referral to the time she got in (I called and checked for cancellations) it took maybe 1 month for her to be seen. The office was BUSY and from what I can tell the appointments were all overbooked. Is this so that the Dr can see more people in less time? Luckily for us that she does overbook..if not my mum might have had to wait months to find out she needs a serious surgery... It could have been worse if we waited. So, we are hopeful. I actually have compassion for this Dr. who knows what she sees on any single day... I doubt any of the ppl who left negative comments on here would be able to withstand half of what she probably sees while keeping a pleasant demeanor every. My advice: Go see Dr. Alam, don't wait until its too late, and bring patience and compassion when you go see your doctor.

flag | Submitted September 13, 2016

How could anyone find any doctor nicer and more knowledgeable than Dr Alam? Are those people criticizing her serious? Seriously? ?? Myself and many of my friends that I personally refered to nice great skin doctor are more than happy. I know that her center is extremely super busy but come on! what else do you expect to see in the ofgice of a skillful and great doctor?

flag | Submitted September 7, 2016

After cancelling an appointment with 1.5 weeks notice through her awful automated phone system, when I later called to rebook I was told that she would no longer see me. Apparently she has some sort of un-published policy that if you cancel an early morning appointment then you are no longer a patient. She is rude, abrupt, and unprofessional. I would go see any other dermatologist in town before seeing her.

flag | Submitted September 5, 2016

I cant thank her enough for what she did for my son. He was suffering from a very rare illness and she was the only skin doctor who found the right cause and treated vey well. She is super!!!!!

flag | Submitted September 2, 2016

My dermatologist office was shut down because of secual aasault allegations!! I regret of going to his office for years now that I found dr alam. I was in her office last week and i saw how busy theoffuce is. I heard that many urgent patients are sent to her from all over the region and she is overwhelmed. But she is the only one and I am telling you the only caring and very very bright and professional. I prefer coming to see her and wait in the nice waiting are and get a good care instead of wasting my time in other vacant offices!!

flag | Submitted August 31, 2016

My own dermatologist had to close her barrie office and so I landed at Dr. Alam. I had missed an appointment in may and had not been told I would have to pay $50 nor did I receive a bill. When I arrived I was told and had to pay it. I then waited 1.5 hours to be seen (but she didn't owe me $50?). The chairs suck, the phone systems sucks, and Dr. Alam was rude and seemed to think I don't need a derm every 8 months even though I am proned to skin cancer! I was upset and in tears when I left and she was bad enough that I have now made a decision to go to toronto to see my regular dermatologist. Never again will I go to that rude condescending dr. Oh and someone mentioned she has a whole ton of patients from other dr.s and is the ONLY dr. in town. so isn't her fault you have to wait . I get waiting for an appointment but sitting for 1.5 hours when you arrive for said appointment just should not happen. They OVERBOOK and they don't leave themselves any "wiggle room"!

flag | Submitted August 30, 2016

My 8-year old was referred to Dr. Alam by our GP for a minor skin rash, and left the office sobbing hysterically. She was rude, unhelpful, and terrifying. She just continued to repeat that the skin condition could either be treated with a very painful procedure, or run it's course, which could take several years. Her response to all of our questions (how long will the procedure take, what should we expect after, will it return etc) was "I can't answer that". She would not let us see the container of the med she would be using, refused to treat the visible area first so that my child could see exactly what she was doing, refused to let my child know when she would be starting, and would not let me speak during treatment at all. She would not give an explanation as to why these simple, comforting requests were refused. My child started to cry before treatment even began, out of pure terror, and this woman just stood with her hand on her hip and told us to hurry up and decide if we wanted to start as she had other patient's waiting. This woman was so horrible, unprofessional and insensitive that I did not want her to even touch my child at this point, and we left. I have requested our GP refer us to another dermatologist, and would rather travel out of town than see this woman again.

flag | Submitted August 26, 2016

Dr. Maryam Shayesteh Alam's Credentials

• University of Tehran (Grad. 1990)