Dr. Michael Ottley

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Michael Ottley

Great surgeon with an exceptional bedside manner definitely recommending

flag | Submitted December 10, 2017

Exceptionally skilled and caring orthopaedic surgeon.

flag | Submitted November 27, 2017

Positive: Dr Ottley and his surgical team, Dr Rapchuck and his reception staff. Dr Ottley is a talented, charming and knowledgeable surgeon, who not only goes through the different aspects of the operation, but will walk out with you and instruct the staff what he would like done. Dr Ottley is as reviews say below someone who goes out of his way for his patients to see them. So you leave feeling confident with your surgeon, with staff telling you will receive paper work in regards to your procedure as soon as possible. I have had my surgery done, recovery has gone well and the results are amazing. I highly recommend Dr Ottley to anyone, and am happy that my doctor referred me to him. Negative: Dr Ottley’s Reception staff (Brisbane Hip and Knee Clinic) Unfortunately my experience with the reception staff was quite negative; initially I was not going to put this in my review but after my last interaction with the staff I felt it was important to write it in the hope it is rectified for future patients. Prior to surgery Dr Ottley told the receptionist the day of my appointment, the details for my surgery. After settling the appointment account, I was given assurance that the information would be emailed out to me as soon as possible. It took four phone calls with four different staff members for this to occur. My experience during these calls was that the staff would either blame other staff for delays, and were impersonal for a private surgeon. I had actually by the fourth call started to make enquiries with other surgeon’s rooms due to my displeasure. After the fourth call I did receive the informed financial consent and item numbers, and decided to still go ahead with Dr Ottley due to my interactions with him. I returned the informed financial consent, signed with my credit card details, and was given assurance there was no further fees from Dr Ottley's room for my operation. My experience with the anesthetist’s rooms was extremely positive and their staff could not have been more accommodating. Post Surgery I received a call while recovering at home from one of the receptionists from Dr Ottley’s rooms, which I thought it was the staff booking me in for a follow-up appointment. I was surprised to discover I had an outstanding account for the assistant, and demanding I settle the account immediately via credit card over the phone. Furthermore I was advised I would not receive any money back from either my health fund or Medicare for it. I was taken aback, as the informed financial consent I signed had the assistant item number as 51303 and included in the costs. I ended up settling the account, as I required a medical certificate for work and was assured I would get it that day via email. I would be remise if I didn’t say I felt deceived in regards to the costs of the surgery, and the overall service was underwhelming as it took three further calls, to get a medical certificate. I tried to bring my concerns up with staff, upon arrival to my follow-up appointment. With three staff in the area at the time, I was shocked when the receptionist brushed off my concerns and told me to take a seat. I tried again to convey my concerns before leaving the rooms, and was stunned when it wasn’t acknowledged by a different receptionist, with a staff member playing on her phone next to her. The receptionists are unprofessional, unhelpful, disrespectful, with minimal to no empathy for patients in my experience and what I saw while waiting for appointments. Overall I interacted with five different reception staff, and while Dr Ottley is a brilliant and caring surgeon, I felt as though I was being treated through the public hospital system, and being treated like a public patient. I can only speak from my experience; the entire reception staff’s conduct reflected badly on Dr Ottley’s practice and reading through other reviews as of late, this seems to have become an reoccurring theme and I am confused how this hasn’t been addressed. While I can not speak highly enough about Dr Ottley, I won't be using Brisbane Hip and Knee in future or any of the specialists from the rooms, after reading through the reviews over the last few months.

flag | Submitted November 22, 2017

Dr Ottley performed surgery on my daughter's knee, Dr Ottley and his administration team are without a doubt the most hands-on, supportive specialist rooms I have ever been to. My daughter injured herself and required urgent ACL surgery. Dr Ottley went step by step through the procedure, making me feel that he really cared about my daughter's needs. Cheerleading is my daughters' life so this was a major concern of hers. But she surpassed expectations and returned to cheerleading winning her championship. His staff, Especially his floor coordinator Tara were outstanding. Tara would go out if her way for every patient I remember my daughter had a scare and Tara had her in the offices seeing Dr Ottley within half an hour. You wouldn't Know if Dr Ottley was late because of you are too busy laughing at Tara’s stories of family cruises, saying to everyone who was in pain “we have a saw out the back and I have a can-do attitude let’s amputate” or when Luke revealed that Tara did cheerleading to her horror. My daughter stopped dreading going to the specialist and we started coming earlier. My daughter gets to do the sport she loves because of Dr Ottley’s talent and won her championships last weekend. And his admin girl Tara will make you feel right at home. No question, no query is too insignificant for her even after hours. Dr Ottley is worth every cent, I recommend him to all the cheer mums!

flag | Submitted October 24, 2017

I have dealt with Dr Ottley a few times now but have recently become disappointed with the service from him and his office. He used to take the time to contact his patients but seems once WorkCover is involved then you get brushed off and the care and concern goes out the window. I'm very disappointed. I have recommended friends to him but I don't think I will be anymore.

flag | Submitted October 18, 2017

After a lot of research and reading all of the previous reviews, I booked in for an appointment with Dr. Ottley. The reviews of Dr. Ottley on this site are definitely with merit; he is well informed in his specialty, and very friendly. He explained the procedure and the recovery periods it easy to understand terms. Dr. Ottley gives you long appointments, unlike other specialists. Giving you time to go through your entire medical history and to discuss the best courses of treatment. At the conclusion of the appointment, I knew I had the right surgeon for me. And I am booking in a date for surgery, as Dr. Ottley has regular Friday lists so it minimizes the time I will have to take off work in the lead up to Christmas holidays. I had also read amazing reviews about his reception staff, I would say unfortunately this was not my experience. When I arrived there was a lot of confusion and disarray in relation to my appointment and which forms to give me. The secretaries seemed disinterested in the patients, with one of them on their phone. The patient who was seated next to me was waiting to see another specialist and I were mortified, when we heard the front desk staff make disparaging remarks about an employee it seemed who was no longer was working in the department. Both I and the patient next to me discussed that it was very unprofessional and was about to say something, however, was called in by Dr. Ottley. By the end of the appointment I was running late so didn’t bring it up. Looking at the last two reviews there seems to have been some staff changes. To conclude I would highly recommend Dr. Ottley and feel I am in the best possible hands for my upcoming surgery. My only advice is that there have been staff changes so the secretarial side may not be of the expected standard.

flag | Submitted October 12, 2017

I had a knee replacement with Dr Ottley early this year, the service was outstanding, Dr Ottley’s bedside manner was delightful and and he was so kind and considerate. Dr Ottley answered all of my questions and even saw me in inpatient rehab. His hands on approach really helped me get over my nerves. His administration staff at the time Luke and practice coordinator Tara would answer all my questions for me, even though I may have called more then the average patient. Tara even helped my family book accommodation nearby and kept them informed at all times what was taking place. I was so impressed with Dr Ottley’s team, I booked in to have the other knee done before the end of year. Recently I found out that both Tara and Luke did not work there anymore and was abruptly told that someone would get back to me..... which hadn’t occurred. I began to nervous about surgery and was considering cancelling, so my daughter did some sleuthing and found Tara’s details on line and called her. I was concerned about her reaction but I didn’t need to be. Tara knew exactly who I was and confirmed with me I had the right phone number for Dr Ottley’s offices, and advised she wasn’t an employee anymore. When I brought up my concerns about my procedure and my questions, Tara spent 20 minutes on the phone going through my concerns, discussing inpatient rehab and told me not to worry that I was in great hands and that I should call back through to the rooms next week when Dr Ottley was in. This was the afternoon of Tuesday the 19th. She had to end the call as her grandmothers condition had deteriorated and but hoped she had answered all my questions and reminded me I was in great hands. (Tara hadn’t even mentioned a sick relative she did advise my daughter the next day she had passed) The fact that Tara spent that time on the phone even with her own crisis was inspiring to say the least. I have recommended Dr Ottley to numourous friends and relatives. He is the best and affordable. And while I don’t know his new staff, his ex coordinator Tara is one in a million when it comes to patient care and support. And it’s a shame she is gone, so she may not see this. But she is one of the most empathetic, caring, funny reception staff I have ever met. Whichever company snaps her up have got themselves a great employee.

flag | Submitted September 25, 2017

I came in for first appointment with Dr Ottley a few months back, he very friendly. Honest about the treatment possibilities and the clinical outcomes, we discussed booking in a hip replacement and I was going to get back in contact with his staff once I could work out dates. His Secretary Tara for this appointment was absolutely delightful, she went out of her way, not only in patient care but also customer service for the appointment. She had all the quotes and dates for the rest of this year in my email before I even got home. Tara told me to call through as often as I wanted, with questions and she said that it was never a bother. Which over the following fortnight I did, and she went out of her way to answer them before I left on holidays. Regrettably, I called through just over a week ago, and was told that Tara was no longer "with us", by a different staff member. Unfortunately, I was unable to catch her name, who didn't seem to want to listen to my questions or queries about operating dates and told me she would call me back. It's a week later and I have not heard back which is a shame, despite trying to call through twice since.

flag | Submitted September 9, 2017

Had ACL surgery with Dr Ottley. Dr Ottley is friendly very easy to talk to which made me feel confident getting the surgery. His staff are extremely helpful with the whole process before and after the surgery. Minimal discomfort after the procedure and recovery is going well 3 months on. Could not have hoped for better.

flag | Submitted August 7, 2017

Wow, so glad I chose Dr Ottley as he is everything that people have mentioned. Very kind and concerned and helpful with all your questions. Nothing is too much to explain. My knee replacement was 5 days ago and everything went well. I highly recommend Dr Ottley to anyone with lower limb problems. Tara is so helpful and happy to make you feel comfortable with your particular situation - nothing is too hard to sort out for you. They make a great team.

flag | Submitted July 18, 2017