Ratings for Dr. Mustafa Toma

I feel very lucky to have Dr Toma oversee my case. He has always been professional, empathetic, helpful and good humored. I have 100% faith and trust in his ability to give me the best health care available.

flag | Submitted July 4, 2018

Abrupt, arrogant and lacks compassion. He came to see me once, first night of my heart attack. While still drowsy from the sedative, he asked me a few questions, left and never spoke to him again. Although, he would be visiting another patient in the next bed, several times; he didn't say anything to me. When I did eventually see him on an office visit, he was abrupt. Every questions I asked was not clearly explained. Dr. Toma is quick in his responses and not a patient man and definitely not compassionate. I will not be going back to him and do not recommend him.

flag | Submitted July 1, 2018

He might be knowledgeable, but he is arrogant, quick to judge and rude as far as being patient and uncompassionate. I felt rushed and felt unimportant. Questions about my health were rattled off like a machine gun. Don't even think he was really interested in my answers.

flag | Submitted July 1, 2018

My husband had an appointment with Dr. Toma today and we came away feeling most fortunate for his caring, thoughtful, professional, care. He was articulate, his explanations were concise and he made us feel very comfortable and upbeat with regard to my husbands heart disease.

flag | Submitted May 22, 2018

I went to St. Paul's in Oct 2017 with what I felt was a heart attach. The ER doctor was concerned about my ECG readings and family history and symptoms so I had another Cardiologist attend to see what was wrong with me. Within minutes that Dr. said I needed a Angiogram and Stent to open up my clogged arteries. I was relatively young (45) but had a family history of heart disease, but I also have been active in running and sports my whole life. The other Dr. was convinced 99% that I needed to have the surgery. He said Dr. Toma was the head Cardiologist who had to review his work so I asked if I could meet Dr. Toma, which I did the next day in the Cardiology ward. Dr. Toma took time to interview me and discuss my symptoms and life history. He was not convinced that I needed surgery because I play intense sports and he said I should not be able to play such intense sports with blockages. He wanted me to have a CT scan of my heart before he did surgery which was more invasive and more risks. We did the CT Scan of the heart and it came back clear. No blockages, and no plaque at all on the arties. No sign of heart disease. The incident I had was most likely stress related and anxiety. I was happy that he took the time to listen to me and thing about the facts of the case intellectually before he jumped to conclusions. He followed up with me months later and put me on blood pressure pills and explained why and how it would help my cardiovascular health in the long run. He wants to meet with me annually for the years to come to make sure I'm good. He's a good Dr. and really knows his stuff and is very nice and approachable. He's relatively young and well versed in his practice and likes to know what's going on before he orders invasive procedures. I'm now taking the Healthy Heart Program at St. Pauls and it's a great program too. St. Pauls is a great hospital for heart issues. Dr. Toma is the best! Great Doctor!!!

flag | Submitted March 15, 2018

Love this doctor since 2014. Happy to have him take care of my husband

flag | Submitted September 26, 2017

Dr. Toma is amazing. He treats my 17 year old son with care and respect. Without him my son would not be alive today. Best doctor ever!!

flag | Submitted July 10, 2017

Dr Toma is exceptionally knowledgeable, up to date on the latest research in heart failure, and is empathetic yet realistic about what is going on with me. It is important to have a doctor who tells it like it is and is willing to engage with you as a partner in your care. One of the best in Canada and I would wager the world.

flag | Submitted July 10, 2017

Dr. Toma & the docs at St Paul's are amazing! Not a negative word... always goes out of his way to help!!!

flag | Submitted July 8, 2017

As far as I am concerned Dr Toma is a great Dr and just because someone may not have had exactly what he or she wanted or expected it does not change the fact that Dr Toma is a great Dr and that he saves lives along with the whole team. Although someone may say something negative it does not change the fact that we know and he (Dr Toma) know he does good

flag | Submitted July 8, 2017