Ratings for Dr. David O'Rourke

A great ob. Delivered both of my children. Picked up on issues the midwife at the hospital should have but didn't. A great, no nonsense dr. Was late occassionally but considering the nature of an ob's work (babies don't arrive 9 to 5, between appointments & considering I have had an emergency c section, if he is doing an emergency c section on someone else to make sure a baby arrives safely, so be it). No big deal, I rang ahead. Would highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted July 29, 2018

Had to wait 1hr to be seen from original appointment time.

flag | Submitted April 10, 2018

I was referred to David O'Rouke early in 2015 for heavy and painful menstruation, often requiring time off work. David mentioned to me that I was looking a bit tired inside but that a Mirena would be my best cause of action until I start menopause - at the time I was 45. As David was unable to insert the Mirena at his surgical rooms, I opted to continue with the procedure in a private hospital day surgery in March 2015. I awoke from the procedure and was advised to make an appointment with David, who saw me quite soon after the procedure. He advised me that he was unable to insert the Mirena which was highly unusual and that he suspected a unicornuate uterus (kind of looks like half of a normal uterus but the other looks like a horn). David did not recommend that I have any further tests done or other options available to me. (I have since been advised that a unicornuate uterus can only be diagnosed via an ultrasound and David’s hospital report for the procedure does not indicate one of these was carried out. I continued to experience ongoing menstrual issues including extreme pain, heavy clotting, time off work, very poor energy and problems with my bladder and constipation. Due to heavy blood loss I required 2 iron transfusions in October 2016 and another 2 in January 2018. In Dec 2017 my GP sent me for a CT scan as I had severe constipation which I had been experiencing over the previous 6 months, such that daily use of my bowels had ceased naturally. A CT scan revealed possible Fibroids in my uterus, this was confirmed through a subsequent ultrasound which found an 8.5cm in diameter fibroid - the size of a new born baby’s head - on the top of my uterus which was likely to be causing the following: 1. constipation 2. increased incontinence (I have never had children) 3. An enlarged uterus 4. Severe pain during my menstrual cycle requiring 2 trips to Calvary ED for pain relief in January 18 5. Inability to go to work, due to low energy levels and heavy and painful menstruation In preparing for a visit to a specialist in Sydney I acquired my previous ultrasound history and operating reports from the prospective Canberra hospitals. An ultrasound taken back in July 2014 about 9 months before David attempted to insert the Mirena, detected a 1.7cm fibroid. By the time David would have attempted his procedure the size would have increased to between 2 and 2.5cm. Therefore if he had taken the time to carry out further tests like an ultrasound the fibroid would have been detected and unicornuate uterus diagnosis confirmed. This would have provided him and I with the information to look at options (there are many) to relieve my symptoms and manage my condition until menopause. However, because he didn’t do that the impact on my life has included; 1. Significant time of work and loss of pay - up to $15000, and impact on career progression 2. Extreme pain and embarrassing experiences due to heavy clots while in public and at work 3. Iron deficiencies requiring two iron transfusions in Oct 2016 and Jan 2018, despite daily iron tablets 4. Undiagnosed endometriosis impacting the bladder and possibly left Fallopian tube If only David had had just spent some time after the unsuccessful insertion of the Mirena doing some routine investigative tests/ultrasounds to work out why a simple procedure was unsuccessful (most GPs do them now in their rooms) I would not have had to go through the decline in my health. In fact if I was not financially stable I could have lost my home. For those considering David or any other Gyno/Obs, remember it is your body. Humour is fun, but every specialist should be able to explain everything to you and you are entitled to every record a doctor, medical practitioner (imaging, X-rays, GPs , hospitals) writes about you.

Submitted January 22, 2018

The problem with these reviews is that everyone wants something different from a Doctor. So it is hard to please some people. Some want touchy feely - "I'll be your best friend". What I wanted was honest, practical advice, experience, sense of calm, listening and no judgement. Cannot recommend David highly enough. He is patient, kind and calm. He listens. He cares. I think he's the most down to earth Doctor I have met. He also let me pay into his charity that has built a Hospital in Indonesia rather than to him personally. How many Doctors would do that???

flag | Submitted November 15, 2017

An excellent obgyn. Always happy to answer questions. Went above and beyond to provide care for my family. I under went ivf and other procedures with Dr O’Rourke over a down of 7 years.

flag | Submitted October 9, 2017

Always late for appointments by hours Last apointment exited three times and returned no explanation.

Submitted July 3, 2017

This person is an INfertility specialist. He suggested an IVF protocol known for causing increased rate of chromosomal abnormalities in babies, he only mentioned that it is a shorter stimulation time. He did not mention though that it is an increased chormones load, that might lead to miscarriages or a less normal baby. For proceedure "endo-scratch" he spent time on asking the question "When did your period start?" 3 times without a pause for an answer with a very aggerated intonation demonstrating that he obviously never met a female mentally capable of tracking her periods. He did not spent time though on advising that this proceedure may cause infections, elevated NK cells activity and increased vaginal s e x drive. You can have this proceedure done in those rooms, though they use receptionists as chaperons and change them. He shares the rooms and the pink-in-blue/blue-in-pink theme with another male doctor. I feel the overall flare "I'm doing IVF and my career here dal and you are just a female.."is massive in those rooms. The ladies with 3d degree tears and obstetrics patients in general seem to have a better impression though. I as an IVF (fertile) patient feel that I would not recomend to risk unless you can demonstrate a male partner, cancer, bad hormonal profile, correct post code or all together, coz I feel your eggs might get seroiuosly overcooked...

Submitted January 29, 2016

An excellent obstetrician and gynaecologist. I have no hesitation in recommending him to others.

flag | Submitted February 21, 2015

Dr O'Rouke delivered my three children. I found him very knowledgable caring and competent. He is very popular. He is a father for four children himself which makes his approach very different as he relates to my husband and involves him in the visits labour and delivery process I do not hesitate to recommend him

flag | Submitted February 13, 2015

Such a kind and generous man. Very professional and genuinely caring with no nonese. He is well known and highly respected by his colleagues and midwives .

flag | Submitted February 12, 2015