Ratings for Dr. Sylvia Solinski

From reading these patients reviews, it seems there is more than one Sylvia Solinski. I know patients (and professionals, too) who have run for the hills because she is so brash and abrasive, using her knowledge of their vulnerability to injure them. Yet it seems others here find her amazing and professional. I definitely would not call her one of the last great psychiatrists in Melbourne! Far from it! I personally found her outdated in terms of medical knowledge and more interested in me as an interesting specimen than a human being. So I suppose she could be one of the last sorts of those psychiatrists in Melbourne, which is a good thing! Times have moved on and patients are now accorded dignity & respect.

flag | Submitted January 19, 2018

In complete agreeance with all the positive reviews. Of course she is renown for her knowledge, skill and utmost professionalism; but it was the authentic nature of her empathy and understanding that I was truly disarmed by.. Without such genuine compassion I would not have been in a trusting space to attempt my trauma work, or to so eagerly want ongoing long term therapy with her as I have had. Her kindness and generosity w her time I have so so appreciated; including unscheduled phone calls and going well above the call of duty. I didn’t think it possible to achieve such a level of trust with a clinician or psychiatrist.

flag | Submitted January 18, 2018

Having previously seen other psychiatrists, I do believe Sylvia may indeed be the most professional, acutely skilled and knowledgeable, empathetic and genuinely compassionate psychiatrist I have and ever will encounter.

flag | Submitted January 16, 2018

Sylvia’s exterior can be bold and confident, or warm and compassionate. But behind the closed door of her office, there are many other Sylvia’s. She pushed and pushed me to try to complete an exam after I’d been sexually assaulted. She didn’t let me share memories of abuse with her stating that she doesn’t need to know, it can cause secondary trauma to therapists. She also would not allow me to cry in her presence - she said crying is a waste of time and I can do that in my own time alone. So no, I completely disagree with those who gush here about how compassionate and caring she is. It is selective compassion and care with a lot of strings attached and provisos. My advice: go elsewhere.

flag | Submitted January 14, 2018

This psychiatrist is a danger to patients - please don’t believe the hype that she’s any good at trauma (or really empathy) at all. I’m really sorry if you are reading this looking for a trauma specialist who is kind - this doctor is NOT one of them. There are many other psychiatrists that a sensitive GP can refer you to who actively help and work with you to heal.

Submitted January 13, 2018

I do not have an essay to write extolling Sylvia’s greatness and virtues. I have a warning; I had a terrible experience with this shrink and do not recommend her. Period.

flag | Submitted January 12, 2018

An awful experience. Never again. No idea how she’s ‘good’ at trauma.

flag | Submitted January 11, 2018

Never have I met a more authentically empathetic and compassionate therapist as Sylvia. Never have I been gifted the skills to enable me to function at my highest capacity, and never have felt so reassured with the therapeutic process and the capacity of a psychiatrist.

flag | Submitted January 10, 2018

Good news- There’s a network of trauma specialists in Melbourne who are lovely and extremely switched on with the most severe end of trauma. She is not one of them. Keep walking. Much greener pastures exist.

flag | Submitted January 10, 2018

I have been treated by Dr Solinski on an ‘as needed basis’ over a period of over 20 years. Until recently, I had not seen Dr Solinski for over 9 years, nevertheless she made time in her busy schedule to see me even though she had no available times. She has made a world of difference to me and my ability to recognise and cope with difficult aspects of my life, most recently my mother’s passing. I came across this website whilst looking for her contact number. She has NOT contacted me to write a review, which is completely ridiculous and contrary to her approach as an exceptional health care professional.

flag | Submitted January 8, 2018