Ratings for Dr. Herman Shen

Shen only cares about money, if you don't buy glasses at his store he will refuse to give you the PD, which by law is required to be given with the prescription.

flag | Submitted June 29, 2017

Dr Shen is very caring and always wants to make sure I understand my prescription or any other problem that I may have. He's very kind and patient with my kids. My kids always enjoy going to get their eyes checked by him. He's always very busy, so I have to wait a long time sometime. However, I understand he has a lot of patients who want to see him and so people have to wait because he falls behind in his schedule, just like any other good doctor. Be expected to wait, but you'll get a great doctor.

flag | Submitted March 27, 2017

Non kids friendly store. If you don't have kids you will be fine. Non of staffs including Herman Shen are kids friendly. My wife has been their both metrotown and coquitlam stores and very disappointed how unprofessional and non patience to the kids. DO NOT RECOMMENT all Herman Shen locations for your kids. Actually I was his previous long time patient when he just opened very first location beside T/T supermarket in Richmond 20-25 years ago. At that time he was very nice because he just opened his first small/Tiny store which can fit only 5 people max. I understand he might get stress to own many stores now. he needs to remember without patients support and referrals he will fail one day. I should not refer my wife to bring our kids to their locations. I mean lucky you Mr. Shame. You better don't treat my kids like that in front of me in the future.

flag | Submitted February 28, 2017

Like the previous person said, he's a nice guy. His staff sometimes acceptable while other times very rude. When they staff called to remind me of my appointment the following week, I explained to the staff that I would like to be seen on time as I had other plans. (Sometimes I go early before the appointment, and still wait for 30 - 60 mins before I see him). She said she can't guarantee anything and that in fact, they will for sure be running behind schedule for sure as I had a mid day appointment. She told me even if I showed up an hour early to wait, I'd have to wait for my time slot which will be delayed. I would simply like my time respected, the ONE time I have another commitment right after, they would not even attempt to accommodate. Would not recommend, there are better offices out there.

flag | Submitted December 30, 2014

Nice guy, but would not recommend for an eye doctor. He recommended me to try orthokeratology, and which I did. My eyes started getting really dry, to the point that sometimes I'd find it difficult to keep my eyes open, and I'd get headaches and migraines from it. My eyes became so sensitive to light and it was just horrible. I complained to him about it, and he said that it's normal. I don't know why I continued to wear the ortho-k contacts, but I did, and it got to a point where I just couldn't take it anymore and went back to normal contacts. My friend who went to him as well also wore ortho-k lenses, but for much longer than me, and she ended up having a bunch of eye problems and having to get surgery. Thankfully that did not happen to me, but it makes me angry. Clearly, he does not give a sh** about his patients, and he just wants to make money. Would not recommend.

flag | Submitted December 24, 2013