Ratings for Dr. Mavis Himes

Many years ago told me my eating disorder would go away on its own and we shouldn’t talk about it. Unfortunately it actually took 10 years of treatment and talking about it to recover, but maybe if I could have addressed it at that early point it wouldn’t have been such a long drawn out affair that permanently damaged my health.

flag | Submitted October 8, 2017

You may wish to consider other practitioners if looking for a sincere, rigorous, and ethical therapeutic allianace.

flag | Submitted July 19, 2017

Dr. Himes had been highly recommended by an associate as someone who could help me come to terms with the deep and profound grief that I've been experiencing recently after the passing of a loved. Big mistake!!! I found her to have poor listening skills as she cut me off several times in mid-sentence. She wasn't interested in listening to what I had to say and didn't understand why I was upset about this person's passing. She made an insensitive comment at the end that I wouldn't benefit from either one-on-one bereavement counselling or a bereavement support group because: "nobody would want to listen to what you have to say". In the end, my trust in psychologists has been undermined and I guess I will have to deal with my grief on my own.

flag | Submitted May 19, 2017

She was forthright in admitting that she might not be a good fit for me, but I still found that even though she was polite, she was quite insensitive and that's telling for a psychologist. She was not interested in listening to anything that I had to say and cut me off several times while I was speaking in mid-sentence. Silly me, I thought psychologists were trained to listen without judgement! This was my first ever bereavement counselling session after the loss of a close family member, and she asked point blank why I was talking about them and not talking about myself. It's self-evident that I'm upset about their passing and the best that she could offer was that I should just detach myself and let go of this person. However, when I pressed her about how do I detach, she had no answer. In the end, she made an insensitive comment that I should not bother with either one-on-one bereavement counselling or a bereavement support group because "nobody would want to listen to what you have to say". This session was deeply disappointing as she had been highly recommended by an associate and in my mind, it undermines my confidence in the psychology profession as a whole. I guess I will have to work through my grief on my own. In hindsight, if she didn't think that she was a good fit for me, I wonder why didn't she refer me to a colleague who might have been a better fit? All in all, I cannot recommend that anyone see her, unless they want to come out feeling worse then when they came in. Stay far away for her.

flag | Submitted May 19, 2017