Ratings for Dr. Bruce Caldwell

As a young girl after reading all these terrible reviews on Dr Caldwell I was scared to say the least before going to him however he pleasently surprised me. He wasn't rude in the slightest in my pre op oppointment and was actually quite nice. Before my surgery he was also nice smiling and reassuring. I would defiantly recomend him as a doctor. My knee is doing great and I would defiantly see him again in the future if need be.

flag | Submitted January 23, 2017

First impressions at initial consultation was that he was rude, impatient and disrespectful. Barely looked at me especially in the beginning, was abrupt with questions and instructions (like "stand up, sit down," etc - like I was a dog), spoke over the top of me at times, was rough during physical examination and became irritated and shaming when I flinched and said it was hurting me. He told me he sees 100 patients a week and nobody else complained about his examinations. I reminded him (it was already in the referral letter) that I was very sore and had pain sensitisation due to living with chronic pain for years but that didn't seem to impact his compassion or the way he gripped my legs. He was just exasperated, however he did stop the examination. I almost walked out after nearly bursting into tears by then but persisted because he was recommended due to his supposed expertise in my particular problem (Severe bilateral patellofemoral maltracking and arthritis). His manner improved as the appointment progressed and we got to the part where he was explaining the various treatment options. I found that part to be systematic and quite helpful, although because I felt distressed by then I don't remember much of what he said. When I left the appointment I actually apologised to him for being so sensitive to his examination but am now annoyed with myself for doing so. He did seem to know his topic well, and took time to cite research on various surgical methods and respective outcomes and also made more eye contact when doing this. He also saw me for a second time briefly the same afternoon after sending me to get CT scan done and explained the results which was helpful and I appreciated this. But he was careless in completing forms for CT & MRI scans (seemed distracted) requiring me to have to come back & get them altered by the receptionist. Maybe he is a great surgeon and knows his stuff, but he sure made a poor first impression on me. Overall I did not feel safe or reassured and have come away feeling bad about myself. Not sure if I'll take it any further. Going through the procedures will be hard enough without having to feel afraid that he will hurt or shame me further. My emotional wellbeing is just as important to me as my physical. In this day and age surely one shouldn't have to sacrifice one for the other. All that said, his receptionist was kind and lovely!

flag | Submitted August 19, 2016