Ratings for Dr. Alan Hoffman

I too was referred to Dr. Hoffman from my family physician. I wish I had read the reviews about him first because I never would have gone to him. I went to him because my brain doesnt want to shut down to go to sleep. That was not even discussed by him. First of all I saw him over the internet for about 10 minutes tops. That didn't impress me from the start. Then I did the stay overnite with a male employee only who didn't speak good english and was hard to understand and that didn't impress me either. When I went back to see him after the overnite stay he then proceeded to tell me that I had extreme sleep apnea and I had to buy a cpap machine immediately or he would pull my license. I said I couldn't afford to buy one so he gave me 3 other options. 1. cut a piece out of my tongue. 2. break and enlarge my jaw. 3. Get a devise that fits in my mouth for nite and he also told me to lose weight. I am 5'5" and weight 160 lbs and am a 69 yr old female who also has a motorcycle license. So unless I did these things he could and would pull my drivers license. I found him to be extremely arrogant and a bully and bullies I wont put up and he never even addressed why I was there in the first place. So I went back to my Dr. and got him to refer me for a second opinion at a different sleep clinic in Kelowna who were great and who I am now seeing. But because I would not buy a machine from him he has now informed Drive Safe so I have had to have a drivers medical done and have now received a letter from them to say that they have received a letter from my physician who Alan Hoffman is not, saying that he has recommended an Anti-Snore belt which he never did and that I may fall asleep while driving. The primary concerns are daytime sleepiness which I don't have and persistent cognitive impairment. This arrogant bully is now making my life a living hell because I didn't buy a machine. He does not know that I am seeing another Dr about this and it is certainly none of his business who I see and what course of treatment I am getting. My family physician will now not recommend any of his patients to this man and has told me that I am not the only one who has complaints about him and I will be putting a formal complaint to whomever I have to as well as phoning Road Safety BC to let them know just what he is doing and how he is doing it. I would not recommend him at all. I rate him a 0 out of 5

flag | Submitted October 20, 2018

I was reffered to DR hoffman. By my family physician. I dealt with Dr hoffman trying to remedy my sleep apnea over the course of a year. He tried multiple times to diagnose and treat me over the phone. Throwing medication at me. Saying me might have to diagnose me with narcolepsy. None of his treatments worked. Finally after our last phone conversation, he made it clear over the phone that he doesnt know how to treat me. Then stated that he is going to notify drive safe BC. Sure enough. He did. I lost my drivers license. Lost my job. All because he was unable to treat me and not able figure out why i was pulling my mask off subconsciously during my sleep. Since then i visited a completely different sleep technician. He figured out my problem in 5 minutes. Wrong pressure settings on my cpap machine. My mask nasal pieces were fitted to small. My machine settings were not correct with what he prescribed. I wasnt directed to use my humidifier. And i was prescribed a bipap machine, in which i have. So i also had the wrong machine.

flag | Submitted September 21, 2018

Been with him for months, I am not happy. He changed my setting on my apena machine without my knowledge, making my machine unusable, I faxed a question of why and he contacted my insurance company, he did not talk to me. This is no why to treat a client. Medical care is for me!!!! Not for who is covering me!!!! Find a doctor on your side, not a Doctor who needs to buy a new car/boat/house. Is that polite, wish I was treated nice nice too, but not today!

flag | Submitted December 3, 2013

Dr. Hoffmann is knowledgeable about sleep disorders (not just Apnea) and is quick to suggest a natural remedy such as Melatonin for trouble sleeping. He is friendly and easy to talk to. I had a list of questions, which he answered to my satisfaction.

flag | Submitted October 15, 2013

Doctor Hoffman saw we for a consultation after Dr Cridland left the clinic. He made numerous comments that had nothing to do with my condition, He offered no help, said nothing that indicated he knew much or understood my symptoms, but told he is he discovered a sleep disorder his first course of action would be to report me to DMV As unfit to drive, I cannot recommend him.

flag | Submitted August 29, 2013

My wife complained of my snoring. Dr. Hoffman had me tested overnight. He treated me holistically, not just as a patient with a symptom. He was courteous, thorough and provided prompt feedback. He has leveraged his excellent education and bedside manner to be one of Canada's top physicians. I recommend Dr. Hoffman without hesitation.

flag | Submitted June 27, 2013