Ratings for Dr. Bedy Lau

I would highly advise people to avoid this doctor and get a referral to a different ENT. He absolutely was rude, arrogant and dismissive - the worst doctor I've ever encountered in my years working in health care and as a patient. He views you as billable MSP $$ and will not work beyond the basics for your care (and even then expect a bad attitude). Ask for a different doctor if you need to see an ENT and avoid him like the plague.

flag | Submitted July 16, 2018

Surprised by the bad reviews. My experience was of an extremely knowledgeable doctor who listened closely to my reasons for being there then gave a thorough explanation of my condition, followed by a very thorough examination, to rule out certain causes and other conditions. Unfortunately, the most advanced medical science does not have immediate answers and/or cures for all conditions, but I felt like I received the very best care available, with an invitation from the doctor to return in the future if needed. I don't want to make this review too long but the staff and office were also fantastic and deserve to be mentioned.

flag | Submitted July 6, 2018

The exam was smooth and painless, but the overall experience was rushed, dismissive and not very informative.

flag | Submitted March 2, 2018

Dr. Lau was a miracle worker for me. I had flu and cold-like symptoms for several months and was rather brushed aside by GPs ("Oh, some of these viruses are pretty persistent" -said with a sympathetic, but dismissive smile). I had asked to see an ENT because of a sinus infection that was part of my symptoms. When Dr. Lau looked down my throat, he referred me to emergency at Vancouver Hospital IMMEDIATELY. He also wrote what must have been a very strongly worded letter to the hospital. Although they semi-rolled their eyes - thinking his letter was over-the-top - I ultimately ended up with a diagnosis of a serious autoimmune disease. He was the only person who really took me seriously, and enabled my condition to be caught before it spread to my lungs and/or kidneys.

flag | Submitted February 10, 2018

Thanks to Dr. Bedy Lau, I no longer suffer from vertigo. He is so kind, caring and experienced ! He's taught me how to do treatment at home so my vertigo gradually went away ! It's a miracle !! Other ENT just gave me one treatment and sent me home, whereas Dr. Bedy Lau spent the time to analyse my problem and finally found me a solution !

flag | Submitted February 7, 2018

I found Dr. Lau to be extremely knowledgable , kind and skilled!

flag | Submitted January 3, 2018

I saw this ENT specialist earlier this month. I would say that Dr. Lau is definitely interested more in looking for the "big" stuff that could go wrong with your ear/nose/throat... he isn't rude but he isn't too much of a talker, either (he seems nice enough, though, but if he doesn't think anything is majorly wrong with your ear/nose/throat, then he doesn't spend a lot of time to explain too much). Do not expect him to have awesome bedside manner. I believe he is a good ENT but because he doesn't communicate as much as one may like (he seems pressed for time), I think it comes across as a bit off-putting to some people. However I am used to this kind of doctor... one could say it is a product of our healthcare system these days (doctors and nurses face more pressure to do more with less). Would I see him again? Well if it were an emergency I definitely would, but if it could wait and I wanted more thorough explanations, I would probably pick another ENT. He did offer to answer any questions I had at the end, but he wasn't looking at me when he said that -- he was already sat down and started writing his documentation. So I kind of felt like he didn't want to talk much... I just said thank you and left. I found that the nasoscoping he performed did not hurt. I think some people just have more narrow noses than others.

flag | Submitted November 11, 2017

I saw him briefly because of an acute sensorineural hearing loss which upset me as an active musician. He showed little interest and empathy and came across as immature and rude. Don't they learn manners at Medical School any more (no eating peanuts during examination!)? Whether he is a good practioner or not I will never know because I found a caring ENT doctor.

flag | Submitted November 9, 2017

Rude and impatient and dismissive. I have a history of chronic ear infection which I regularly treated by over the counter antibiotic ear drops for years and the infections became more frequent and persistent over the past 2 years. There was also an ongoing low grade sore throat that came and went and was present more times than not. During a routine dental appointment, my dentist showed me an small localised infection on the roof of my mouth on the same side as the chronic ear infection. I was concerned enough to go to a walkin clinic to get checked out. A referral to Bedy Lau was made. By the time I saw him, the infection in the roof has resolved (daily gargling with hydrogen peroxide) and when Lau looked and did not see the infection he said "I do not believe the dentist!" Seats me on a stall, pushes my head against a head rest and insert a nasal scope and as I recoil with the pain and discomfort he says "very sensitive" in a tone that indicated it was my fault for reacting to probe. he then says he will give a nasal anesthesia in the form of a spray and then immediately inserts the tube again and I again recoil in pain and discomfort "You very sensitive" he says again. A person ought not be in pain in a routine examination. He made out a referral for a hearing test and then dismissed me in a similar tone that he used throught the assessment. Intrusive, rude and dismissive.

flag | Submitted October 24, 2017

Dr. Lau is a very caring and knowledgeable specialist. He was easy to talk to and very sympathetic to my situation. You can tell he is brilliant and very experienced. He was able to put me on the right path to healing. One of the best doctors I have ever met in Canada.

flag | Submitted September 3, 2017