Ratings for Dr. Dawn Desouza

I have been to bad mental health support and good. She is amazing. She listens and makes me feel comfortable being who i am. She provided a lot of advise on how to cope with symptoms without relying completely on medication. She has made my life manageable and I feel one day maybe I wont require prescriptions. She has empowered me to take my mental health by the balls and be who I want to be. I cannot thank her enough

flag | Submitted May 2, 2018

Dr. Desouza is the opposite of helpful. She doesn't useful advice or coping mechanisms, and rather have her patients on an abundance of medications that numb a person instead of actually helping them improve. She will constantly berate patients about minuscule slip-ups instead of being the least bit encouraging or sympathetic. I wouldn't recommend anyone to Dr. Desouza, espeically someone with mental health issues.

flag | Submitted January 25, 2018

Dr. Desouza has been nothing but the greatest and has helped my life for the better

flag | Submitted November 2, 2016

Staff aren't the most friendly in the world. Kind of look at you as though they are thinking "who the heck are you?" when you walk in to check in for appointments. Friendly on the phone though. Dr. De Souza likes to get right down to the point and suggests many different options. Isn't as hands-on as other doctors/psychiatrists I've had. Definitely not as interested in counselling as other doctors, more focused on finding the appropriate medication. That being said, as someone with severe issues, proper medication is paramount. Overall I'm happy with her as my psychiatrist and feel as though she supports me and my own ability to know myself and my illness.

flag | Submitted July 13, 2016

I haven't been with her long enough to accurately asses her knowledge of psychiatry or pharmacology (I'm not a doctor, but like many I can get a good idea about how much someone knows about their craft) but from what I have seen she is knowledgable and a helpful physician. She does have a distant or quiet manner which may come off to some as cold, but she is not uncaring whatsoever and she definitely does genuinely want to help. She's always there if I need to call her and calls me back extremely quickly. The people who are saying negative things about her are most likely ignorant patients that expect a miracle cure, don't understand modern medicine or psychiatry, and just want someone to listen to their problems and give them sympathy. She is not a psychologist or therapist, she is a medical psychiatrist trained to diagnose and treat medical problems with medicine. She did not hesitate to set me up with other supports such as a therapist if that's what was needed. There have been a few times where she has brushed off some of my concerns, however. Explanations are limited but that's to be expected and if you need to know more she'll answer any question you have. I feel like she is on my side and supportive and trusting of me, and respects my opinions and judgements.

flag | Submitted May 10, 2016

Dr. Desouza is very helpful and understanding. I feel very comfortable talking with her and she always offers multiple suggestions to help me.

flag | Submitted February 7, 2016

I find this dr fantastic. She has always listened to me and calls me back herself if I need her. I highly recommend her

flag | Submitted January 24, 2016

I have been seeing her for a couple sessions. I am still a little unsure about my diagnosis and what the medications should be doing for me. I have asked for clarification a couple times when i have been in her office and have gotten nowhere. I feel like she doesnt quite know what is going on half of the time, and other other half, she is just telling me what medications she will give me now. I would like to actually be listened to and manage my symptoms with more hands on approaches and techniques than just being on three different pills that make me too tired to function properly. She was good at the first meeting, but since has gone down hill.

flag | Submitted April 14, 2015

She is very efficient and always trying her best to find a medication that works for me. She is concerned about my side effects and is always open to switching me. She also trusts my judgement which is really important for me. She makes herself available to me all the time and knows more about when my medications are due then I do, and I work In the pharmacy I have my prescriptions filled at. She is a psychiatrist, not a councellor. f you are looking for someone to guide you through then you are looking for a counsellor not a psychiatrist. Her job is to handle your medical needs not your emotional ones.

flag | Submitted January 16, 2015

This uncaring physician has " forgotten" to fax prescriptions for my daughter 4 times. The last time it was for a medication that she urgently needed. She is cold and abrupt and quite unhelpful.

flag | Submitted September 21, 2014