Ratings for Dr. Dawn Desouza

Dr. Desouza has been nothing but the greatest and has helped my life for the better

flag | Submitted November 2, 2016

Staff aren't the most friendly in the world. Kind of look at you as though they are thinking "who the heck are you?" when you walk in to check in for appointments. Friendly on the phone though. Dr. De Souza likes to get right down to the point and suggests many different options. Isn't as hands-on as other doctors/psychiatrists I've had. Definitely not as interested in counselling as other doctors, more focused on finding the appropriate medication. That being said, as someone with severe issues, proper medication is paramount. Overall I'm happy with her as my psychiatrist and feel as though she supports me and my own ability to know myself and my illness.

flag | Submitted July 13, 2016

I haven't been with her long enough to accurately asses her knowledge of psychiatry or pharmacology (I'm not a doctor, but like many I can get a good idea about how much someone knows about their craft) but from what I have seen she is knowledgable and a helpful physician. She does have a distant or quiet manner which may come off to some as cold, but she is not uncaring whatsoever and she definitely does genuinely want to help. She's always there if I need to call her and calls me back extremely quickly. The people who are saying negative things about her are most likely ignorant patients that expect a miracle cure, don't understand modern medicine or psychiatry, and just want someone to listen to their problems and give them sympathy. She is not a psychologist or therapist, she is a medical psychiatrist trained to diagnose and treat medical problems with medicine. She did not hesitate to set me up with other supports such as a therapist if that's what was needed. There have been a few times where she has brushed off some of my concerns, however. Explanations are limited but that's to be expected and if you need to know more she'll answer any question you have. I feel like she is on my side and supportive and trusting of me, and respects my opinions and judgements.

flag | Submitted May 10, 2016

Dr. Desouza is very helpful and understanding. I feel very comfortable talking with her and she always offers multiple suggestions to help me.

flag | Submitted February 7, 2016

I find this dr fantastic. She has always listened to me and calls me back herself if I need her. I highly recommend her

flag | Submitted January 24, 2016

I have been seeing her for a couple sessions. I am still a little unsure about my diagnosis and what the medications should be doing for me. I have asked for clarification a couple times when i have been in her office and have gotten nowhere. I feel like she doesnt quite know what is going on half of the time, and other other half, she is just telling me what medications she will give me now. I would like to actually be listened to and manage my symptoms with more hands on approaches and techniques than just being on three different pills that make me too tired to function properly. She was good at the first meeting, but since has gone down hill.

flag | Submitted April 14, 2015

She is very efficient and always trying her best to find a medication that works for me. She is concerned about my side effects and is always open to switching me. She also trusts my judgement which is really important for me. She makes herself available to me all the time and knows more about when my medications are due then I do, and I work In the pharmacy I have my prescriptions filled at. She is a psychiatrist, not a councellor. f you are looking for someone to guide you through then you are looking for a counsellor not a psychiatrist. Her job is to handle your medical needs not your emotional ones.

flag | Submitted January 16, 2015

This uncaring physician has " forgotten" to fax prescriptions for my daughter 4 times. The last time it was for a medication that she urgently needed. She is cold and abrupt and quite unhelpful.

flag | Submitted September 21, 2014

Dr. Desouza didn't help me feel comfortable or gain my confidence. Seeming to lack real compassion, she focused more on intake and medication dispensing than gaining my trust and showing me that she is a caring physician. She may have cared, but it was hard to tell in the initial appointments. There is little in her manner that helped me to disclose my story. She didn't educate me about her findings or reiterate to me how she understood what I was telling her or what she learned about me. Though she asked questions, she didn't lead me to understanding, so how could I possibly have confidence that she or I hadn't missed something? I filled out a long form before coming to the office, and then I received no details about her findings. Because she doesn't communicate with me on my level, I can only tell you that I didn't know if I was getting the best care, even if it was the right treatment plan. In all fairness my suggestion: try her, but don't linger longer if you aren't progressing.

flag | Submitted October 21, 2013

She is absolutely the worst doctor I have ever been to. When you go to a psychiatrist its a big step and you want to have a doctor that actually cares and understands what youre there for. You can clearly tell she has no interest in helping you, all she wants to do is load you up with meds and send you on your way. She doesn't have an ounce of sympathy or compassion. She also decided to stop filling my prescription without telling me and then went out of the office for almost a month and ignored all my attempts to get in contact with her. I would not recommend her to anyone.

flag | Submitted August 8, 2013

Dr. Dawn Desouza's Credentials

Please call the Doctor's office to find out if your insurance plan is accepted.