Ratings for Dr. Kanishka Monis

I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND DR.MONIS TO ANYONE WHO IS IN NEED OF A KNOWLEDGEABLE PAIN MAGAGEMENT DOCTOR. HE IS VERY PROFESSIONAL AND HELPFUL IN ALL AREAS OF MY VISITS, AND SO IS HIS STAFF.

flag | Submitted December 8, 2014

My first visit to SA pain I was to see a pain management doctor for the first time. My first visit I had a migraine so bad I could barely function well enough to get through the visit. I stayed with the clinic for the simple reason the doctor I saw my first visit gave me an occipital nerve block (injection to stop migraines in certain area) that day. I was so thankful I hugged him. I am no stranger to pain, having Fibromyalgia, Arthritis, Chronic Migraines, since life wasn't done teaching me things add to that last year a car accident with many broken bones, plates now in my arm, a foot that I broke so badly and got infected it never healed right and now each step is painful. I am 33. Patients looking for a new doctor I would not have recommended the clinic under the doctor I saw first (no longer there) I rarely saw him, really seeing the PA. After my accident several incidents happened where my script was called in wrong, due to recovery being awful I wasn't on top of things and one time forgetting to call in refill for pain patch right after accident, I called to request and they were closed on that Friday. Realizing I had nothing for weekend I paged the doctor. I mean shattered so many bones in foot, ribs broken, knee broken, arm broken and just had surgery. Not to mention coming down off pain meds when I had been on constant treatment since accident (which was month only before) when my call was returned it was the PA who basically told me they were closed, notning they could do. Call Monday. Betrayed..i was crushed. I honestly thought they cared about me. I don't share with my doctors that I have family and loved ones in the medical profession, nor do I share my background working for doctors or the work I do helping patients of chronic illness. Last thing a doctor needs is a know it all right? It was devastating knowing that indeed something could have been done but wasn't. They abandoned me. I had countless problems with this clinic..and then... I get the call my doc is gone and I need to see Dr Monis. Let me say the staff at Babcock is a breath of fresh air. Dr Monis is polite, he doesn't wait for his turn to speak, he obviously listens to you. He askes questions about what you say. He went over basics that I knew they had on file but appreciated him going over things. I have a problem speaking up, he makes you comfortable. He makes you feel like you matter. Most people with chronic pain will say at some point they have felt like their doctor treated them like an addict. Im one of those that so many meds I'm sensitive to or get rare side effects from. So it limits what works and what I can take. Always the fear of asking for more help hinders our road to truly managing the pain. Dr Monis isn't one of those doctors. I feel like if I tell him it still hurts, I can't function at this level, he wouldn't judge. I see many doctors and have good and bad experiences. You will wish all your doctors were like Dr Monis. I will say a drawback was that although injections were decided on, my appointment was a bit far out. Having Fibro any extra pain is a bit much. A lot actually. But I made it..that was yesterday.  At my appointment for injections I already had a migraine. I have anxiety and couldn't help but be nervous. When Dr Monis came in he answered my questions, he was kind, caring, eased my fears. Though when anesthesiologist brought me to procesure room I started to panic. She noticed and instantly switched from work mode, get patient in and out to...I am right here, you will be okay. Even asking the doctor about something to calm me which he approved and not long after I woke up in recovery. I have to say improvement can be made on recovery to patient release. I knew the second I woke up I was in trouble. My migraine had not improved and multiple times in the past the nerve block had helped nearly instantly. My migraine was worse. I do not in anyway believe that is the fault of the doctor, this is my luck ..comes with territory BUT I am proactive and knew I was in store for long night. I asked the MA I believe in recovery if I could speak to the doctor telling him I had a horrible horrible migraine and needed to ask for refill on migraine med I had assumed the block would solve my migraine issues as it had so many times already. Dr was busy I was told so ended up leaving a note with front. These things happen but somehow my message got lost or maybe denied but I don't know why all I know is no one ever called me or pharmacy. I don't blame them for that my appointment was late so I've emailed clinic and will call first thing in the morning. I'm honestly praying he helps me because I've cried nearly non stop it hurts so bad. Not injection site my migraine period. I'm praying I'm not brushed off and he helps me even if just by filling my Imitrex. I will be staying with Tri City Pain unless tomorrow has a horrible outcome. I would gladly deal with small script issues, messages not being relayed right by front (not at Babcock) if it meant my doctor himself was truly a partner in my pain management. Some people search for years for this type of doctor. I appreciate what who I've found. I recommend Monis very highly and now he is on a good doctor list I refer people in the area to. I have faith he will help me get the most I can out of life with regards to my pain.

flag | Submitted September 9, 2014