Ratings for Dr. Kevin O'Daly

I drank the Kevin Kool-Aid at first: who doesn’t want a doctor who is charmingly anti-establishment; a breath of fresh air from the status quo of white-coated practitioners from the _Histoire de la Folie_? Who doesn’t like to have an intellectual discussion about Lacan or Auster, or Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds? But Kevin has a lack of professional boundaries with his patients. It’s meant to be about them, not him - yet somehow it’s all him. And so the result is a poor standard of medical care, reducible to playing Russian Roulette in a revolving door of medication - usually only discussed in the last hurried few minutes of an appointment, where the patient is responsible for repeatedly reminding the doctor of their medication history and previous side effects - and in which there is never any follow up or follow through. Punctuality is not important when there is a real life emergency that must take priority, of course. But everyone who has seen Kevin for long enough surely and frustratedly knows that his issues with punctuality are primarily and undoubtedly because of his ego dominating a philosophical discussion with the previous patient. Not everything is reducible to a clever analogy, Kevin, and some people with mental health needs can’t indefinitely wait in your very stylish waiting room with your very high brow reading material when they have jobs that are an important part of their ability to live (and live in all senses of that word’s meanings). And while you might be good at discussing Nietzsche in the high ceilings of the West End with a predominantly stable patient, god forbid if you are actually needed to respond to a patient reaching out to you in crisis! That’s not as sexy or urgent as debating continental philosophical narratives, is it? So, no. Hipster with a modernist aesthetic does not a good psychiatrist make. Who’d have thunk it? (I gave 2 stars for ‘staff’, but both of those go to Vesna. She deserves 5 stars for actually knowing the patients better than Kevin. But the new staff (at what has recently become the industry of greed at Kevin’s Ego Inc.) deserve negative seventy six.

flag | Submitted July 16, 2018

By a milllion miles the best psychiatrist, or anyone in this realm of expertise, I’ve ever encountered. I was pushed around by blasé and completely uninterested and incompetent public psychiatrists and hospitals for years and received multiple misdiagnosises which resulted, in turn, in years of pain and confusion about myself and my thoughts. It was this confusion about and questioning my own beliefs and thoughts which was what led me to multiple suicide attempts. Thankfully, I pulled myself out of hospital and was referred to Kevin by my psychologist who could see that the current purely biomedical model to my bipolar (again proof of my adversion to a simple biomedical explanation for years of self harm, suicidal ideation, coupled with period of insane elation and confidence... I did not want to simply have one single word attached to who I am as a whole person but this is unfortunately what most people with mental illness seem to get) was not helping me, nor was it remotely treating my condition. I came to Kevin O’Daly very hesitant about seeing another psychiatrist who would just brush my own history and personality off and start concentrating on ‘homework’ and give me monthly lectures on how to change the structure of my brain in order to have “good” and “right” moods for a change. I could not have been more wrong. Not only is he so incredibly 100% accepting of my experiences and the way in which I choose to experience my world, he’s encouraged me and inspired me to shred all the self doubt I held for years through merely sitting and talking to him - about philosophy, life, choices, what have you - in the sort of environment I have NEVER until now been able to consider a safe enough space for me to do so. He is incredibly open, kind and generous, and talks to you person to person as opposed to psychiatrist to patient. I don’t know whether it’s this lack of formality which has driven most of these negative reviews but for me this kind of attitude in a profession full of condescending egos who think they know what’s best for you five minutes after meeting you in a hospital emergency room when you’re at your lowest of your low is a wonderful refreshing breath of fresh air for me. Certainly couldn’t care less about punctuality. He’s spent enough overtime sessions with me which I cannot appreciate him enough for, so if others need such time I’m cool to sit and wait. Better then right in, right out with a lethal combo of psychotropic drugs from some public psych who has no idea of what your bloody diagnosis even is. He’s a listener and an existentialist, so I guess if those topics (or fabulously cluttered rooms full of books and papers that made me feel completely at home) don’t immediately spark your attention and inspiration then you might go for the more pure cold and clinical psychiatric experience... but I for sure am never, ever looking back.

flag | Submitted June 13, 2018

I am surprised by the negative comments below as I have been a patient of Dr Daly for many years and found him to be an excellent psychiatrist. It did used to be more difficult to get through to reception and to get appointments but he has new staff who are all very friendly. I really would highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted May 30, 2018

Good to begin with. But once the charm wears off it soon becomes obvious that he is just bluffing his way through. Self indulgent and pretentious. It would be less expensive and more beneficial for one's mental health to simply meet a friend for coffee.

flag | Submitted May 29, 2018

I have had very bad care under Dr Kevin O'Daly. It has taken me a while to get over the lack of care while under his 'care'. He acts like he cares but it is all a farse. He is very charming so this made it confusing at first as I thought he had my best interests at heart. He had vety little interest in my care. He was very inconsistent and barely around for my hospital stays. One 5 week admission he took of for 3 weeks interstate which ended up being 4 weeks. I'm not sure how long it was until he returned because I begged to be discharged as I had minimal supervision from the supposedly covering Doctor. It was a pretty traumatic admission for me and I shudder just thinking about it. I think he takes on way too many patients and that this is a very irresponsible way of looking after his patients. There is no way a man who goes off interstate so often can take on so many patients. without even going away the patient load is none sustainable. Not to mention his cost!!! over $400 for half an hour. I don't ovject to medicare covering that if he is a truly awsome doctor. As for receptionist in question. She was very much on apiwer trip. I left a few messages saying I was depressed and needed to see him and I never had a return phone call. Depression can be fatal, it's equivalent to not getting back to a heart patient who is reporting concerning physical symptoms. Whenever I said that I was meant to see Dr O'Daly in 4 weeks, she would usally make the next appointment in close to six werks, while I found out that other patients where given the luxury of weekly sessions. She certainly runs the practice and calls the shots on a power based level. The best thing I did for my mental gealth stability was to leave him. I was fortunate to find the best psychiatrist who has always been there for me when needed. A true professional who takes his role very seriously and charges half the price!

flag | Submitted March 11, 2018

See someone else! He asked me what tablets I should be on. He has paperwork everywhere, doesn't remember who you are, just horrible.

Submitted February 5, 2018

Wonderful to talk to. Really listens and tries to understand the issues I was faced with. Never felt talked down to or condescended. It's a relief to know Kevin is available to assist with my mental health during difficult times.

flag | Submitted October 25, 2017

I agree with all the positive comments below. Kevin surprised me from my first visit because he actually listened to me rather than just dishing out more medication. Genuine, kind and easy to talk with. I like the fact the dresses casually. Who needs another suit behind a desk? I'm so grateful to have him as a doctor.

flag | Submitted August 22, 2017

I left a comment about a year ago loving him but honestly after being with him for about 3 years now I am worse than ever. He is inconsistent, hard to get ahold of and seems to care yet when you tell him you are-well "dangerous" he has no idea what to do with you or doesnt even get back to you (weeks of messages). His staff get frustrated with him even. His admin (i wont put names) are wonderful but it just comes back to the same thing-you-can-never-get-in-touch-with-him. The longer I have been with him the more hurried the appointments get and he is almost ALWAYS late by HOURS. he is great for a chat and i agree with some other reviews about him being very philosophical but he lacks the ability to take a condition seriously in a professional manner. He goes on holiday ALLLL the time so the last time i saw him was about 4 months ago due to his unavailability (not the fist time). Im sick of this, honestly dont be fooled by how he seems in the first year. You'll never lock into anything with him and you will float and crash.

flag | Submitted July 25, 2017

Fantastic. He is a great psychiatrist but also his psychology help is much more useful than any psychologists I've come across, which is not surprising since he also completed psychology at university. I also had a mentally ill family member, he messaged a fellow psychiatrist at an inpatient facility and wrote a referral for her and she was in within the week. I feel so lucky to have found such an excellent doctor. He's not great with paperwork but that's the only complaint I have, and considering how helpful he is otherwise it really isn't an issue.

Submitted March 27, 2017

Dr. Kevin O'Daly's Credentials

No, this doctor is not accepting new patients