Ratings for Dr. Jacqueline Regan Hochman

I have been a patient of Dr. Hochman's for over seven years. I have seen several specialist since I was diagnosed with RA in 1997. My RA is very severe and over the last few years, life threatening. Dr. Hochman, was an integral part of my diagnosis and recovery. Dr. Hochman is extremely knowledgeable. She is always prepared for our appointments and discusses my current health and well being. She continues to research any new developments which may be beneficial to my case specifically. The lines of communication have always been open with Dr. Hochman. She has always replied promptly to any questions or requests I have had. I am thankful that she has been my rheumatologist and would recommend that anyone having severe RA would benefit from seeing her. I have recommended her to several people that I know and they are extremely happy with the results that she has been able to achieve for them. I travel a long way to see Dr. Hochman and every mile is worth it.

flag | Submitted May 8, 2018

I've seen this doctor 3 times now and have another appointment scheduled in the next couple of weeks. I feel at this stage I have seen her enough to give a well-informed opinion. When I see a specialist the number one priority is getting an accurate diagnosis and an appropriate treatment plan. Ideally the DR would also be pleasant and easy to communicate with Dr Hocchman unfortunately she fails on both levels She is incredibly difficult to communicate with. She doesn't appear to be listening, talks over you and has a condescending manner I have tried repeatedly to obtain information from her as to my diagnosis- does she have one? What if anything has she ruled in or out? What's the next step? This all falls and deaf ears as she is focused on sending you on your way as quickly as possible. The whole experience is unpleasant and feels futile. My health is important to me. If I requested an appointment to a rheumatologist then it's for good reason. I'm not looking forward to my next appointment as I know it will yet another struggle to get information I think she is someone who would probably be better suited to working behind the scenes because she has very poor social and communication skills.

Submitted April 30, 2018

The first appointment was thorough and she was prompt. For the last 3 appointments I waited between 45 minutes to 1 hour. What is the point of being taken back to a small busy waiting room if she is going to be so late? Might as well stay at the front where ther TVs are. Every time I have seen her there were interns there. Nothing wrong with that but then I ended up waiting another 20 minutes while she consulted with them before returning to me. Filling out the form about my level of pain and what I take is useless because she doesn’t even read it. Well she doesn’t even acknowledge what I have written. The physical part was okay. The worst part are the lab tests. I had a bone scan that I requested results. One of the staff called back and said it was okay. When i went in January the intern said I had moderate risk of osteoporosis in one of my hips. That is not “okay.” I am supposed to get monthly blood work. Why is it that when I ask for the results, it is like pulling teeth? I can get the results from my family doctor right away. No questions asked. She will post it to my file online. WCH has a portal to get the results but it is useless because the only results posted are blood work results from when I first saw her. So even in my last appointment with her in December she had the opportunity to tell me my blood glucose was too high. i didn’t find out until February from my family doctor and had to go for a re-check. The communication between appointments is very poor.

flag | Submitted March 8, 2018

I saw Dr Hochman today for the first time, and have only positive things to say. The lady at reception was friendly and welcoming, then another lady brought me to a smaller waiting room and she was also very friendly and made me feel comfortable. Dr Hochman came to get me, and she was very warm and friendly right from the beginning to the end of my appointment. She asked so many questions, and did one of the most thorough exams I have experienced, and really seemed to care about my well being. Her compassion and patience toward me were excellent, and she made sure that I felt comfortable with our plan before I left. If anyone has any doubts about Dr Hochman, I can say that based on my experience today with her and her staff, I would recommend her to anyone!

flag | Submitted January 30, 2018

Dr Jacqueline Hochman has been my Rheumatologist since I was referred to her with very painful inflammation caused by AS. My future looked confusing and I was angry. Work added a level of complexity not expected making my symptoms much worse and likely the cause for my unresponsive symptoms. Dr Hochman did not just try her best but worked with another expert to provide the best care and ensure all options were considered since I was not responsive to the first 2 biologics. She is very attentive when I was describing my symptoms and asked very pointed and appropriate questions (no assumptions) to reach a correct diagnosis and treatment plan. Her physical examination was equally thorough each and every time. She never rushed me to keep her appointments yet managed to do both effectively. She is not afraid to change her treatment plan should plan “A” result in a non-responsive result as was my situation. I voiced my concerns and symptoms and she listened and responded with courtesy and respect. She went beyond her specialty in treating me. She recognized and cared enough to refer me to a mental health professional to deal with the stress of my condition and a work related atmosphere that made life hard to live. The stress aggravated my symptoms so diagnosing my response to various treatments was extremely difficult. That said, even though the treatments did not help at first, the referral did help and was the turning point in my health and comfort. With stress reduced, my inflammation and pain became manageable and the biologics are now able to keep my AS in check. I owe Dr Hochman my sincerest thanks for not giving up on me and factoring in outside influences on my symptoms. I see many specialists and I have learned that if your health complications are outside their field they normally are very uninterested and simply do not help. She listened and responded with an open mind and results that speak for themselves. She has good advice, empathy for peoples pain, and / complications and reinforces the positives to get you to a better place in life. For the record I have been fortunate enough to see a well-recognized world class rheumatologist for my condition 6 months after my 1st appointment with Dr Hochman’s. I wanted a second opinion as my General Practitioner (family doctor) misdiagnosed me for 20 years. I did not trust western medicine and wanted to confirm the hard to believe treatment plan. Her treatment plan was exactly what the second Rheumatologist would have done and seeing both proved beyond a shadow of doubt she is a specialist in her field. This world class specialist knew of Dr Hochman and told me I was in good hands. She has not only earned my respect and gratitude but she has that same respect in her own field. Another observation is that I never seem to have to wait long for my appointments. She seems to be able to keep her schedule flowing respecting people’s time, rare these days. She is part of a very effective and efficient clinic. If you are looking for a Rheumatologist, this is one of the best clinics I have been to. I say that after almost 3 years of treatment early 2015 to present and a second opinion I really did not need.

flag | Submitted October 31, 2017

Been here to see her twice and both times I've spent approx 1 hour waiting and 5 mins of consultancy. Pretty sure she doesn't bill the same way. I'd think twice before making an appointment with her.

flag | Submitted August 3, 2017

Saw her today for the first time, she seemed nice but was very disismive. She listened to none of my concerns, didn't ask me much, and didn't seem to care at all. It just seemed like she wanted to get through the appointment as quick as possible to get on her lunch.

flag | Submitted April 11, 2017

These words sum it up - lacks due diligence. Her go-to answer for unexplained pain was to take chemotherapy drugs, or drugs that were not for a specific to an accurate diagnosis. Had it not been for patient due diligence, the patient would have ended up taking drugs unnecessarily. In the end, she provided a referral to a specialist in the field of unexplained pain which is a positive, however this is an indication that she needs to do more research.

flag | Submitted January 12, 2017

I saw Dr. Hochman for the first time earlier this week and was very impressed. I found her to be very professional, yet personable and friendly. She asked many questions about how I was feeling and listened carefully to my answers. As it was my first visit she had many questions about my background and family history, and she apologized for not being able to look at me the whole time as I was speaking, since she had to make notes in her computer. She was very attentive and thorough, and I would highly recommend her.

flag | Submitted October 28, 2016

Loved her. Wonderful doctor, with first rate staff. Very kind, helpful, and knowledgeable. Would definitely recommend her.

flag | Submitted May 1, 2016